Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your choice of accelerator?
Organ-type 228 69.94%
Suspended 98 30.06%
Voters: 326. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2016, 17:08   #16
BHPian

Re: What type of Accelerator pedal do you prefer - Organ vs Suspended?

Voted for the organ type. Have experienced it while driving the fluidic elantra. It felt so much less stressful to the leg muscles. Especially over long drives its so much easier to drive the organ type. The suspended type pedals are not bad it's just that the organ type pedals feel so much more luxurious !
just_in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 18:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

I love the organ type for the look and feel of it. If my next car has the suspended type, I will be sad.

At the same time, I tend to agree with what Vid6639 had to say. Organ type has a heavier feel, one has to get used to it. Suspended type is indeed easier to modulate with in the city.

But as one gets used to it, both are fine. Organ type is specifically comfortable for bare foot driving, as the thumb is not strained.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 18:36   #18
BHPian

If you voted for the Organ type accelerator pedal, do remember that the humble BEST Bus in Mumbai also has the same type of pedal. I am so used to the suspended type & feel that flooring it is much easier!

Image courtesy: ACI

PS: Every time I think about the Organ type accelerator I am reminded of the BEST bus driver!
Attached Thumbnails
What type of Accelerator pedal do you prefer - Organ vs Suspended?-best_bus.jpg  

Last edited by Maverick1977 : 18th February 2016 at 18:38.
Maverick1977 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 18:55   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileepcm View Post

By the way, quoting aamateen46: Is that a real good idea to find spots under pedals to rest foot? I feel its a dangerous habit and should be avoided.

Its not dangerous to do so if the car is parked/ turned off. Every inch of real estate down in the footwell is welcome!
Old 18th February 2016, 20:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

In a MT and in stop-go traffic, the organ type pedal can be a problem. Hence I voted for Suspended.
For an AT, Organ type would be better.
Old 18th February 2016, 22:34   #21
BHPian

I have driven both the organ-type (ye olde Premier Padmini) and the suspended type (all my later cars) and I will vote solidly for the suspended type. Having driven with the organ type (for 5 years or so) and the suspended type (for over a decade and a half after that) , I feel its the more comfortable variant and also easier to use.

IIRC, the Premier's organ type A-pedal (all 3 pedals were organ type) had a potentially dangerous arrangement. It was 90* vertical to the floor and had ball & socket type joint (the top of the A-pedal had a round cut-out into which metal ball connected to the accelerator mechanism would articulate). This ball would frequently slip out on and off and suddenly I would find the pedal flat against floor with no response. The metal ball part had to be again put back into the rubber hole, sometimes while on the move !!

Some of the pics in this thread will show what I mean...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...thread-79.html
Old 18th February 2016, 22:37   #22
BANNED

The risk of jammed pedal due to foreign object such as sandals or rolling water bottles are higher with suspended pedals.

Considering the Organ pedal is an evolutionary design, I might assume it is better in every way than Suspended.

Cheers
gthang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 22:40   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
In a MT and in stop-go traffic, the organ type pedal can be a problem. Hence I voted for Suspended.
For an AT, Organ type would be better.
When you have to shift from the accelerator to the brake (which you need to do often in a bumper to bumper traffic) will it be easier if it is the suspended type, as you can use your heel as an anchor and move the feet in a V shape? I could do this effectively on Honda City automatic which I think had suspended type pedal.
Old 18th February 2016, 23:09   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

If you require quick changes in accelerator inputs, I would prefer the suspended type pedal. Basically, any small car used for plotting around the town, the suspended pedal will work better.

For nice and large highway cruisers, I would most certainly prefer the organ type.

You can also put it this way - For small capacity petrol engines, where torque is on tap, and there is nothing much on the higher end, the suspended pedal gives you some really good throttle control.

For torquey diesels, where there isnt feathering of throttle, and most of the time you stomp on the pedal, organ type is the way to go.
dhanushs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 09:04   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting discussion! Having driven both types extensively my view is that the organ type is ergonomically superior. I like the fact that almost the entire foot is on the pedal and since it moves in the same trajectory as the foot it stays that way even when you floor the pedal all the way. The organ type is certainly more comfortable on long journeys.

One mistake that people who are used to the suspended type make, is that they place their heel further back in relation to the pedal. The key is to place the entire foot on the long pedal which is almost a big as your foot.

I don't think organ type is suited for ATs or diesels alone. I've driven my Laura petrol MT for 80K + kms with organ type and manual transmission and never felt that it was difficult to modulate.
Santoshbhat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 09:21   #26
BHPian

I think ease of using organ type accelerator is heavily dependent on seating position and driving style. for suspended type, only seat reach adjustment will work fine to get to a good position, but for organ type, if driver seating position is too high, too close or too far from it, it would be difficult to operate/modulate.
Plus, organ type accelerator is operated only by ankle joint, while suspended one will use ankle, knee as well as hip joint in some cases, hence probably more strenuous but far more control.

My choice: suspended type. Unless I am a rally driver.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 10:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

My car has a organ type and it happens to be a Mazda. I agree with the assessment that organ type is more comfortable owing to the better suited fulcrum point.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 10:49   #28
BHPian

Something out of the box : if organ type is more ergonomic & less stressful, as explained above; why don't car manufacturers put all 3 as organ type or at least the Clutch & accelerator
Old 19th February 2016, 11:05   #29
BHPian

I am sticking with organ-type pedals. I'm used to drive ambassador which has organ-type pedal and also it causes less damage to formal shoes.
gm_arun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 11:13   #30
BHPian

Voted for Suspended type due to following reasons
1. Better modulation of pedals when compared to Organ type. Used to drive an MPFI Omni before and although good on highways was a pain when switching between pedals
2. better reaction time when reaching for brakes. (explained below)

Generally I place my heel in front of the brake pedal and use it to pivot my foot slanting towards the accelerator so that ball of the foot rests on the pedal. This arrangement helps me in modulating the accelerator and brake pedal (equally important in stop-go conditions) and also switch quickly between them (just need to pivot back my feet towards brake). I need not lift my legs from the accelerator pedal to brake which would be case in case of organ type.
Now most would agree that after long period of rest when your feet is on accelerator lifting you legs (involving your knees) to reach the brake pedal could take some time and might not help in modulating your brakes unless you are braking in panic.

Last edited by DWind : 19th February 2016 at 11:19.
DWind is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks