Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: Your choice of accelerator?
Organ-type 228 69.94%
Suspended 98 30.06%
Voters: 326. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2016, 15:48   #46
BHPian

Re: What type of Accelerator pedal do you prefer - Organ vs Suspended?

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by GTO : 20th February 2016 at 12:00.
Ertigiat is offline   Received Infraction
Old 19th February 2016, 16:31   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
All the cars I've driven with organ type pedals, E class, Jetta, Laura had a very heavy feel to them. They were not easy to get fine modulation. It's not a problem in an Automatic, but in the manuals it results in jerky shifts.

On the other hand, suspended ones are mostly lighter and easier to modulate barring a few of them.
It doesn't always result in a jerky shift, but it does take some getting used to for those who aren't used to the pedal play. My 124s have floor mounted pedals, and I'm definitely more used to them than the regular kind.

Suspended ones are a pain in the calf. Especially on long drives.

On an unrelated note, my 1st gen Octavia (automatic) has to have one of the worst pedal placements I've ever seen. It has suspended pedals, but the accelerator is so far in towards the centre, that the brake is almost impossible to use. This has resulted in me developing a very good left foot braking technique however.

Last edited by GTO : 20th February 2016 at 12:01. Reason: No inappropriate language please, not even indirectly
Viraat13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 16:48   #48
BHPian

For city driving, suspended pedal was better for me. Better control over the pedal and easy and quicker movement of feet between pedals.

For highways and long drives, it is organ type, especially if you have ghat section enroute to your destination. Stress on my ankle is lesser. But if you do follow coasting, then not much of a difference.

Voted for suspended as it is of day to day importance for me.
NaviRai12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 17:27   #49
BHPian

Just wondering, would an organ type clutch work well? If it's light enough, there might not be a problem with modulation as such..
Old 19th February 2016, 17:28   #50
BHPian

I voted for Organ Type. I have experienced both. The Organ type in the Yeti and the Suspended type in both a manual Hyundai petrol and an Automatic VW GT.

So my logic is, that the organ type feels just so much better to mash into the floor after shifting into second. Even on expressway cruises, it feels more comfortable to maintain a constant throttle position in an organ-type. I find throttle modulation to be easier in the Yeti, although that may also have something to do with the Dual Mass Flywheel in the Skoda.

But the seating position also comes into play. The Laura/Yeti with a higher seating position have a better comfort level with the Organ type, where you site more like a tallboy hatch, while in a low sedan-style seating position in the GT, the suspended type feels just fine.
sidparekh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 19:28   #51
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 20th February 2016 at 13:15.
rangarx is offline   Received Infraction
Old 19th February 2016, 21:38   #52
Senior - BHPian

Haven't driven organ type in many years, but I remember my dad's older Jeep had one, dand it was a bit hard yet very comfortable. I also remember another type which my dad's 1955 Willys Stationwagon had the pedals were round with curved rods which went down through the floor, the mechanism was on the other side of the firewall.

Rahul
Old 19th February 2016, 22:39   #53
Senior - BHPian

Considering most of these cars are ride by wire, i am just thinking if we can instead put a video game like switch on the steering wheel . If cruise control can work i feel even the acceleration process can be through a switch or a lever similar to the pedal but in hands.

To me organ or suspended feels the same as we can anyway not rest on the accelerator pedal. Either way we need to work our muscles to bend that ankle to work on the pedal.

I would dare if there was a design to use the heel instead of toe it would make more the process more comfortable. With raising your heel is much easier and to hold at a position easier than raising the toe. One is stretching the ligaments while the other is squeezing the same. For me stretching is far easier
Old 19th February 2016, 22:41   #54
BHPian

I voted for the suspended type because it is easier to control the pedal. I have driven only maruti Omni and premier padmini with the other type and perhaps higher end cars may have much better organ type pedals.

The X factor I believe is not the type but the size of the pedal. In my old Tata Estate the pedals were big enough to feel despite wearing full fledged boots. Now some modern cars especially the Nano has such a small pedal that I drive my cousin's nano only bare footed to get the feel of the accelerator.
Captain Haddock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2016, 07:42   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That 'heaviness' you speak of is by design. Some manufacturers add weight to the accelerator, some don't.
Is there a particular reason for this?

Let us compile a list of current cars in India with their respective pedal designs.

I am assuming that all Maruti cars would have suspended pedals.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 20th February 2016 at 08:23. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 20th February 2016, 08:35   #56

I think we can have better control and a much better reaction time with suspended type So voted for the same.

But on the contrary, long journeys on highway where less throttle inputs are required the Organ type of pedal can be more comforting.

I have a big foot, so on the highways I simulate the organ type of pedal by resting my heel on the floor and giving just small toe inputs while cruising.
bhimani.mohak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2016, 10:44   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
organ type of pedal by resting my heel on the floor and giving just small toe inputs while cruising.
We use the cruise button while both legs legs are waiting for brake reaction only . I drive both types on a daily basis. Inside the city its the suspended type car and longer rides the organ type. I prefer the organ type even inside the city. And i try to keep the foot as stretched as possible to avoid bad angle at the ankle.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2016, 11:41   #58
BHPian

I don't have a particular preference but I remember struggling with the organ type when we got our BMW X3. It took me a very good time to completely get a hang of it. Till we got the BMW I've always used hanging types and hence was feeling unnatural about the organ type. But now I switch my cars daily and and am neutral with it.
abs182 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2016, 11:52   #59
BHPian

Based on my driving experience across a vast range of cars, trucks and buses, I can vouch for the comfort that an Organ type accelerator pedal offers. I infact prefer even the brake pedal and clutch pedals to be organ type (present in many models of trucks & buses). The primary advantage is the ease of control due to longer travel arc and hence the finer control possible in this arrangement. Also, ergonomically, since your ball of foot is not suspended in air and rests on the base of the pedal, it creates lesser pain and stress during long drives.

To best understand the difference in comfort that an organ type pedal offers over the suspended pedal, one has to try driving in a wet slalom course. That would clear the confusion best compared to any driving on normal roads.
Surya-TJet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2016, 12:16   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
On the other hand, in cheaper cars, suspended pedals dominate the scene (although some old models like the Premier Padmini had organ-type accelerators):
If I remember correctly the Premier Padmini, at least the column shifter, had not just the accelerator but the brake and clutch pedals too on the floor.
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed