Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2016, 11:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi DSG - Shuddering issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
As it has been pointed out by many, you can either have a reliable boring car, or a fun to drive unreliable car. This is the biggest dilemma we face while choosing cars. If you are looking for a fun to drive automatic hatch, Polo GT TSi is the only choice.!
Totally agree with your statement. If VW are not doing a fix for the sake of FE, then its extremely stupid on their part. The people who buy a GT TSi will not opt for a Baleno or Jazz if the arai drops from 17 to 16, this car caters to a different segment of people and there is absolutely no choice at present for an enthusiast who wants a petrol at hatch. As Adi says, they are allowing the gearbox to slip the clutch in 2nd to prevent jerks every now and then when the transmission shifts to 1st.

The jitters that such threads give me would not change my decision, it would be a GT TSi very soon when the Vento gets replaced, there is no other option even close to how the GT performs. The german engineering has spoilt me, if i was so much into reliability, i would have spent my 35 big ones on a Camry and not a bmw but i can never see myself in a japanese car in this life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Having said that, the 8 speed ZF boxes are so well tuned, that they can control monsters like the 530d without any shudders or jerks.
The ZF 8 is a beautiful gearbox and a reliable one at that, tuned to perfection by bmw, no two ways about it. How do you make the workshop people aware of this dsg multi clutch issue? Do they understand it easily and are the warranty claims easy to get? The VW test drivers are usually dumb and for them every thing is normal.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 19th March 2016 at 11:33.
Old 19th March 2016, 17:26   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Tell me, is there any update on the Polo TSI DSG jerking and/or failures? Haven't heard of any cases for the last few months ever since they updated the software and changed to mineral oil.

Interesting to figure out as many more Polos are sold compared to the Octavia or Superb. Also VW is sticking to the same transmission even in the new Superb petrol!
Old 19th March 2016, 17:54   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Tell me, is there any update on the Polo TSI DSG jerking and/or failures? Haven't heard of any cases for the last few months ever since they updated the software and changed to mineral oil.

Interesting to figure out as many more Polos are sold compared to the Octavia or Superb. Also VW is sticking to the same transmission even in the new Superb petrol!
There have been some reports on the D3->D2 jerking issue which were resolved by the latest firmware update to the DSG. Otherwise, I haven't seen any report of major failure like mechatronic replacement or clutch replacement in Polo GT TSis, atleast here in the forum.

Take a look at the three different cars that have the DQ200

Polo GT Tsi - 1109kg, 105bhp, 175Nm
Octavia - 1376kg, 180bhp, 250Nm
Superb - 1494kg, 180bhp, 250Nm

Octavia is 267kg heavier, and Superb is 385kg heavier than the Polo. Considering the same dry clutch mechanism that is trying to pull all these cars, as the car gets heavier, the load on the clutch pack would become more and this would result in more shudder while taking off from 2nd gear. Maybe that is why we see the most number of DQ200 failures in Superb followed by Octavia. This is just a guess, but I am sure there should be Polos with failed clutch packs (the numbers may be lower than the Octavia), but maybe none have been reported here. Also, in the Polo, the the gearbox is operating at 175Nm torque which is 70% of its rated 250, whereas in Octavia and Superb it is operating at 100% rated torque.

Maybe the DQ200 is good for smaller cars. For any bigger cars, they should go with either the DQ250 or the DQ350 that can handle higher torque and power.

Not sure why VW is holding on to the DQ200 for bigger cars

Not sure when VW will realize the pain caused by DQ200 in bigger cars and change to better gear boxes

Last edited by graaja : 19th March 2016 at 17:58.
graaja is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2016, 17:59   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Good point. Another interesting stat is that the Octavia has the highest torque/ton and bhp/ton of these 3 cars. Maybe the higher 'pressure' on the multi-clutch is also a factor for Octavia failures?
Old 19th March 2016, 20:18   #20
BHPian

Thanks for all the very interesting comments and opinions.
My concern is this - for over 2 years and 21K km, the car ran butter smooth. There was no jerking, shuddering or any other such mechanically unsound happenings. The car would pull away smoothly, the only noticeable thing was a very slight turbo lag. I wonder what went wrong over the last week. Nothing has changed - the person driving, the style of driving , the fuel or the usual roads. The lack of a cause-effect is what bothers me. Even after the problem is fixed this time, how can I prevent it from happening again. The lingering of a doubt will persist.
A year after getting the Octy DSG, we got a Polo GT TSi for my home minister. The jerking, as has been described in great detail here and in other forums, is there and we realise that it is a quirk with the gearbox. I am comfortable with that.
However, with the Octy, this is a new occurrence after 2 years of very satisfied use. Hence my unease.
The car sits in Tafe Access service centre. The guys there were able to replicate the problem and it has now been "escalated to the technical team". This team allegedly does not work Saturdays and will only look at the car on Monday!

Last edited by docsr : 19th March 2016 at 20:19.
Old 23rd March 2016, 07:30   #21
BHPian

After much calling and hair-pulling ( my own, not the service agents'), was told yesterday that the the technical team thinks there is some issue with the wiring harness. Not sure what it means. But still be definite diagnosis and path for resolution.
Old 23rd March 2016, 09:31   #22
Senior - BHPian

Sounds absurd to say the least. Try to convince them to change the clutch only for now. Flywheel will be another episode for you too I guess.
Old 24th March 2016, 07:22   #23
BHPian

Have been having fairly decent feedback and engagement from the Service Manager from Tafe Access. So lets see how things progress.
Old 24th March 2016, 21:47   #24
BHPian

Finally an answer from the service guys. They have been asked to change the clutch- a process that will take a few days. I hope it fixes the problem.
docsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 16:25   #25
Senior - BHPian

Today I gave the car again at the workshop, they seem to understand the "noise" I hear from d2 to d3, and have diagnosed it to be an issue in the newly replaced clutch itself.

They will check the gaps between all ratios and if needed will replace the clutch again.

Since today is a holiday for Skoda Tech support, the issue will be taken up with them and approval will be taken only on Monday.

So 28 months, fuel pump, mechatronic, clutch, 2 batteries, probably another clutch.

Since this battery was installed only 9 months ago, I refused to pay any money for it, dealer knows the battery is a faulty part right from the factory, still it's pending approval for free of cost replacement. After they do, I will change it to a local made Exide battery as I can't take more risks with Varta, Exide Spain, or Sebang batteries given by Skoda as standard.

On a positive note, the service head gave me a very decent feedback for the clutch issue, where in a flywheel if faulty, will make noise even during idle speed, not only while running. So as of now only clutch will be insoected/replaced.

He even gave me insights from his new Superb training handbook, which shows the changes they have made in the mechatronic of the DQ200, now called DQ-200-7F, with a changed wiring harness that won't cause overheating failures in the Superb. They have also added a LIN network module in to the CAN, and all electronic parts are vin specific, which will not allow part sharing among other models.

So according to him, the new mechatronic is much more reliable than the "old" one in the "new" Octavia. Also confirmed that the new music system cannot be added to the older Octavias because it has integration with the keyless entry system, and is now VIN specific too.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 21:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

My colleagues Vento Tsi has been sitting at the Apple VW garage for the last 4 days. The car is less than 2 years old with less than 20,000km on the odo. The issue reported was shuddering from the gearbox, the D mode acting like S, that is, delayed up shifts and one instance of the car lurching forward during security check at the IT Park where my colleague works. The car was in D with full brakes applied. Luckily; the security guard had finished with the under body check up front.

My blood started boiling just listening to what my buddy had to say about his experience at Apple VW. The issue of shuddering and the weird shift pattern in D was easily replicated during the test drive with the service center engineers and they admitted there was a problem. Brake noise was another issue reported though I think that is a much easier problem to solve.

Anyway; in 4 days, my buddy heard all sorts of stories ranging from engineers are flying down from the plant to check on his car as there were 3 other cars facing the same issue. Turns out, the chaps who were supposed to fly down came from another service center facility located in Peenya or thereabouts. It was not anyone from the plant. Then they said that they are running into a crash while trying to install the new firmware on the car. It runs through half way and stalls. As of now, the car is unusable as they are unable to get the firmware installed. In all the time the car has been sitting at Apple VW, not a single call came back to my buddy to update him on the status of his car. He has been hitching a ride with me every day so he can check on the car.

He has now asked for a loaner car as there is no ETA. The engineers are basically stuck and have no clue on how to resolve the problem so he waits.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 22:26   #27
Senior - BHPian

The latest I have heard is that they have checked the "seams" I don't know that on earth that means, and that there is no "deviation"! They are putting in another brand new clutch, which might resolve the issue. Even if that doesn't, the next obvious step is to replace the compete gearbox I think, because they didn't take my advise for checking the flywheel. It's been over 9 days, including 2 Sundays, my car's gearbox was opened only today, after 8 days, and the battery issue is still not solved. They want me to pay for a new battery, because the standard 2 year battery warranty is finished, although the battery in my car is only 8 months old. I will be getting a replacement from Exide local shop for the equivalent ah, costing about ₹6000/-.
Old 5th April 2016, 08:50   #28
Senior - BHPian

Requesting mods to move this post to the Polo/Vento DSG thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3942639
Old 14th April 2016, 01:55   #29
BHPian

Sorry to hear about the issues that you are facing with your two year old Octy docsr.
By the looks of the video, the shudder seems to be a clear indication of a weak clutch. Rather surprising, especially for an automatic DSG box. Push for a clutch and flywheel replacement. This would most definitely solve your issue.
Old 16th April 2016, 07:13   #30
BHPian

Thanks guys and am holding on. Car still in garage. Hopefully will be delivered today with a new clutch.
Keeping fingers (and toes) crossed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks