Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2016, 12:58   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsr View Post
Thanks guys and am holding on. Car still in garage. Hopefully will be delivered today with a new clutch.

Keeping fingers (and toes) crossed.

Hi docsr,
Any update on your car? Im religiously following your thread. I have Rapid DSG. Have you come across any information regarding this issue when DQ200 is mated to 1.5 TDI engine?

Thanks
Kiran
Old 19th April 2016, 22:29   #32
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi DSG - Shuddering issue!

Well, news not very good.
Got the car back late saturday with the clutch changed.
However, the problem has NOT gone away.Instead, the shuddering has increased. Now the car shudders all the way to the 4th gear-initially it was mostly in 1st and 2nd. In addition, the engine revs and the car shudders and does not move forward immediately, It has become a challenge to drive it in traffic, around intersections and at lights. The Service engineer says he had talked to skoda and is awaiting instructions.
I have written formally to Skoda India directly and have received an acknowledgement from them. Let's see what happens.
Old 19th April 2016, 23:21   #33
Senior - BHPian

Thats the problem you know. They can't just guarantee a fitment proper and as good as the whole unit when it was imported for assembly. They try using old bolts and shims(washers) but ideally need to change it according to the pressure rating of the clutch. There are two clutches, K1 and K2, and their ratings are mentioned on the clutch itself.

There's no other way but to keep trying different shims, do a dsg reset, and try it on the road. Pls observe if you feel some noise while the gears change too. I think you should return the car and ask them for a solution.
Old 20th April 2016, 07:18   #34
BHPian

Thanks Adi.
They have changed some shims too.
I agree, somethings just do not get back to normal.
Yes, I will persevere with them-there really isn't any other option at this point of time is there?
Old 20th April 2016, 08:30   #35
Senior - BHPian

Yea there's nothing much to do at this point but given my experience they're already aware at the factory for a similar problem. Their insurance(extended warranty) is giving them a tough time getting approvals for high value parts like clutches, gearbox, etc. You can take it in writing from the dealer that the car is roadworthy with no risk to the engine and gearbox, while the ratios are messed up, and continue driving. But soon they'll need the car back to perform some tests and diagnostics only after which they'll be able to convince the head quarters and insurance company about their intention to change a complete gearbox. If that happens for you, from the day the part is ordered, it will take about 20-25 days to arrive at your dealer and further a good 3-4 days to install and code it to your car. Demand a dsg equipped loaner car ASAP. I have requested one, and haven't got it even after more than 20 days. My car is in the workshop awaiting parts since last 26 days.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 22:51   #36
BHPian

Almost 10 days since my car has gone back to the workshop for the gear shuddering issue. Received a call from the service manager today. It appears that the car has been checked out by Skoda engineers and they have asked for the replacement of the "gateway"-which i was given to understand was the electronics controlling the gearbox. They have also been asked to change some shim. Once again, the part is not available in Bangalore and has to be procured from the factory. He assured me that he has initiated the process of getting the required parts.
I asked him if the gearbox itself was to be replaced-apparently this is not required and they feel that the problem is with the control unit.
My worry about this whole situation is about how confident and skilled the technicians are and if they have a proper plan rather than a hit-trial approach to solving the problem.
Will keep you posted.
docsr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 16:56   #37
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi DSG - Shuddering issue!

Quote:

My worry about this whole situation is about how confident and skilled the technicians are and if they have a proper plan rather than a hit-trial approach to solving the problem.

Will keep you posted.

That's what exactly happened with my car. Hit-miss situation ruined the gearbox completely and my car is still awaiting a new gearbox. By the way my car is with them since 40 days now. They have the most idiotic part management system which is only VIN specific and it will not show them the required part, even if practically all gearboxes are same since 2013-2016. Only a few software upgrades are done which are as such performed on older cars.

Shim adjustment is needed why, only when the metal in the clutch has actually shaved off due to wear and tear. That means the clutch, and other child parts of the gearbox are not much capable to handle even 50,000 km of stress. Start pushing them for new gearbox, as it will take another month or so for them to procure it.

If needed I will send you the string of emails I have exchanged with them regarding this issue, and you can give the reference of that email string to raise your case forward.

I pity people like us who patiently keep fighting for a product which is supposed to bring convenience in our routine, not wasting our time and causing mental stress.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 23:18   #38
BHPian

Thanks adi.
Thanks for offering to share the emails. Do you know how a personal message can be sent within this forum?
Old 8th May 2016, 22:45   #39
BHPian

I have sent you a PM ado-petrolhead.
Old 23rd May 2016, 22:42   #40
BHPian

Finally, with the car in the workshop for over a month, got this message
"Dear Sir,

The subject vehicle which you have sent for service is ready. Request you to arrange to take delivery of the same. Our service adviser will contact you on the invoice details.

We wish to inform you that we have taken up the case with Skoda warranty for the approval of mechatronic,clutch kit & gateway for the replacement on good will basis.

As it is attracting some time for the above we request you to kindly bear with us till such time.

Thanking you,

I hope the paperwork will be ready by tomorrow. The service manager assures me that they have done adequate road tests to be sure that the problem has been sorted.
I do not understand the "replacement on good will basis" clause. What exactly does it mean?
Anything specific that I have to ask for before I pick up the car- have asked for a warranty on repair and parts document and also a fitness to drive certificate for the vehicle.
Old 23rd May 2016, 22:44   #41
BHPian

While waiting for the car to be rectified, I came across this article about the DQ200 gearbox. Is this electrolysis the problem with the 1.8TSi units that have been breaking down?

The DQ200 is at the center of a major scandal and recall. Due to an engineering flaw, it seems that electrolysis can occur within the gearbox's control unit. This in turn results in juddering or even total loss of power. Volkswagen has issued a massive recall affecting 1.6 million cars globally.

Read more: http://www.autoevolution.com/news/vo...#ixzz49V4FZG00
Old 24th May 2016, 00:49   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
While waiting for the car to be rectified, I came across this article about the DQ200 gearbox. Is this electrolysis the problem with the 1.8TSi units that have been breaking down?
This is an old article written in 2014. There was a major issue with the DSG7 worldwide and lots of recall all over the world around that time. Some of the Superbs of TBHPians also had this failure. VW diagnosed this because of sulphur formation because of the use of synthetic oil which caused a short circuit inside the Mechatronics. They then changed to mineral oil and claimed that the sulphur problem is solved and no more short circuits.

Though the mechatroics issue is sorted out, the dry clutch design in itself has its own problems like heating up of the clutch pack resulting in clutch wear, shudder etc. The failures observed in your car and Adi's car are mostly related to this issue.
Old 25th May 2016, 09:46   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anything specific that I have to ask for before I pick up the car- have asked for a warranty on repair and parts document and also a fitness to drive certificate for the vehicle.
Did you receive the vehicle after till now? Whats the experience?
Old 25th May 2016, 10:22   #44
BHPian

Hi Adi.
Was formally informed that the vehicle was ready after repairs late yesterday.They were waiting for warranty related documentation to be completed. I will most likely pick up the car today.
The experience so far was okay. The car has been in the worship for about 6 weeks.They had provided a reasonable loaner car for the duration of the repair and so I was okay from a transportation point of view. I will know once I get my car back and begin to use it. Let's see, keeping fingers ..and toes, crossed.
How is your car behaving after the gearbox replacement?
Old 25th May 2016, 13:31   #45
BHPian

Apologies for my ignorance , but I've gone through this thread and few others on DSG driving techniques and still fail to understand the correct way to drive this tranny. So do we have a consensus that the right way to drive it in stop -n-go traffic is D, Manual mode when coming out of a signal, D again when waiting at a traffic signal ( N/P if its more than 30 Secs) and then slot to manual when signal turns green?

Appreciate the help.

Most Viewed