Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2004, 22:50   #1
BHPian

hey guys i have an accent tat has done abt 11000km in 3 years and my brakes r becomming worse by the day i had shown it to hyundai wen my car had gone for serviceing some time back and they said tat nothin was wrong and tat the pads were fine nd will last for atleast 10-12 months but my brakes just dont seem to exist is there nything tat i could get done maybe replace the brakes with some other car or sumthin like tat.
I have been in major problems because of these damn non funtioning brakes.
Help Urgently.

Regards.
Purav
Old 5th October 2004, 22:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

maan,

the ikon has poorer brakes than the accent. but still u cud try bleeding the brake system ...and change the fluid. get ur discs cleaned ...and callipers set..

and try..
Old 5th October 2004, 22:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]hey guys i have an accent tat has done abt 11000km in 3 years
thats low mileage for 3 years ..maybe the brakea have jammed
Old 5th October 2004, 23:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

Since when did this start. Was it after any particular service? Do th brakes fade the moment you start driving, or after a while.

Replacing the brake fluid might help. But get the whole brake asembly checked atleast once.

Shan2nu
Old 5th October 2004, 23:59   #5
Team-BHP Support

Hey Libre Sito,

As people have mentioned, try getting the brake system bled, which involves a change of brake fluid as well.

Tell us exactly what the problem is -
>is the brake pedal very hard to press
>does it go straight down to the floor with little resistance
>etc ?

cya
R

ps - get it figured out and fixed asap!
Old 6th October 2004, 00:23   #6
Team-BHP Support

Libre Sito.
Do you have only one service station in your area? If you have some other authorised service centre, go there and tell them the problem.
Especially your experience with the previous station. Chances are they'll give a better solution cause they've to prove a point to you.
Old 6th October 2004, 00:42   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Libre,

The one and most convenient way for manufacturers to cut costs is to offer poorer brakes i.e. brakes which do for most of the population but not for the enthusiasts. The Esteem, Ikon and Accent are some that immediately spring to mind.

Its a problem from the manufacturer end. But what I suggest is to compare your brakes with that of another Accent. If you still feel that yours are much poorer...its time to visit the service station.

GTO
Old 6th October 2004, 02:05   #8
BHPian

hey 11k km is too less a mileage .. i have 58k km on my accent 3 yrs old
tats too much mileage

as these guyz told ya get ur brak oil checked...
Old 6th October 2004, 02:33   #9
F50
Senior - BHPian

I got my brakes changed after 45000 kms but I think 11k is too less ...
I think wat Rudra said is also rite no harm in getting two opions
Old 6th October 2004, 21:24   #10
BHPian

hey guys i know abt the low mileage its because we used to rarely use it at first but am using it almost everyday nowdays.
I get my car serviced at hyundai and not any authorised service center so i don know abt the second opinon but will go in for it.
My brake oil is changed but the brakes just dont seem to respond im noticing this from da time we started using it regularly nd i know i have to get it done asap but tat is only possible if da company guys can figure out wats wrong!!!

hey nc im damn sure my brakes are way worse than urs!!!

hey rehaan my brake pedal feels just fine while pressing it but wen u do press it u feel that there is only one pair of brakes or no brakes at all on the damn car its really ridiculous.

The company fellows just cant figure out wats wrong wid the forsaken brakes it looks like the brakes on my car are a mstrey to them!!!!!1
Old 7th October 2004, 02:22   #11
SLK
Senior - BHPian

try this... brake with your left foot... for once.
if the car stops with a jerk.... then brakes are fine.
else drive someone else's accent. (i mean for comparing)

or if u want to feel good about your brakes...... drive a 800 (u'll know the taste of non power brakes) then u can compare better.
Old 7th October 2004, 03:01   #12
BHPian

hey slk i tryed everything with da brakes but they are bad nd trust me on driving my car ull say tat an 800 has better brakes than my car even my 8 year old zen has better brakes!!!
Old 7th October 2004, 10:14   #13
Team-BHP Support

Hey Libre Sito,

Sounds like ur brakes are really in bad condition from what u say.
However i cant really make any guesses as to what is wrong since u say that the pedal feedback is fine....

One tip i do have though is that when u go to the Hyundai service center and they ask u whats wrong to write it down on that sheet... usually what happens is that u say "my brakes dont work" and then the guy at the counter writes "check brake pads & change/bleed brake fluid". Thats not really what u want. Make sure that he writes to thouroughly check the entire braking system. And when u return to pick up the car dont hesitate to tell the guy to come along with u for a test drive so u can see if it has really been fixed to your liking or u can show him what the problem still is.

cheers
R

ps - ever driven a CRDi or a Viva? the brakes are so much better than the GLS/GVS!

Old 8th October 2004, 01:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hey Rehaan, is the better brakes got any relation with the better dampers that the Viva has? Or is it some other factor?

Revv
Old 8th October 2004, 03:57   #15
Team-BHP Support

Hey Revv,

Actually the brake pedal seems much more responsive on the viva CRDI (and accent CRDI i guess). Probably due to a different booster or master cylinder etc, not sure exactly what the differences in the braking systems are.
The actual braking performance/stopping distance/stability is probably affected by the difference of oil filled and gas filled shocks on the old accent and new ones +viva&crdi; but i was refering to the brake response in my post above.

cheers,
R

ps - also was wondering - the CRDI has vented discs.... did the old accent petrol have these or solid rotors? i have never actually noticed!

Most Viewed