Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2010, 09:44   #31
Senior - BHPian

This job looks like glass buffing that we did on watches several years ago.
Source - Glass Scratches & How to Buff Polish to Remove Scratches From Auto Glass Windows | eHow.com

Is it one of these kind of jobs? Did he use any buffing machine on the wind shield?
Old 30th August 2010, 11:02   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Could you provide us with an update on the results achieved from your visit to 'Busy Bee Lenses'. If you could post before and after snaps that will be of immense help to all of us.
Hi, too much rain here in Mumbai, I have decided to wait another 15 days or so before I call them, they need a dry day to work.

I have in the meantime changed the wipers (Bosch, set of 3 cost me 480 Rs). I will post the before pics in a day or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
I use a Product Called 'RainX'.

It is really good. The shuddering of the wiper blades and the streak marks have disappeared.
Its kind of like wax. You apply it on a clean, Dry windshield and once it dries up you have to polish it off.
Just give it a try.
Thanks for the inputs.
Old 30th August 2010, 11:32   #33
BHPian

Chew, can you give the fellow's contact number pls. I wanna get this done for my car too. Thanks.
Old 30th August 2010, 11:32   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Unfortunately, dust can contain particles that are harder than glass, and scratches do result.
If you scratch it hard with a stone, it may gain scratches, but the wiper does not wipe the glass with the same force which we apply from hand while scratching.

Even if the particle is harder than glass, it needs force. The Iphone screen is made by the windshield material and hence they don't gain scratches too.
Old 30th August 2010, 11:57   #35

Wiper marks removed!

I had same problem of having wiper blade marks on my windshield. There were no issues till first one and half year of new WgonR ownership. It all started when I changed wiper blades from Maruti Authorized Service Station around six months back. Marks were getting spread on entire screen; marks were clearly visible from outside as well as inside, though not impacting visibility much. There was a huge vertical mark just next to A pillar on driver side end of windshield.

However I thought to get this issue fixed ASAP; last week I visited same Maruti Authorized Service Station and showed them the problem (the marks on windshield and wiper blade was leaving some water drops). Staff including service advisor agreed that wiper blade was culprit and quickly change one blade. As I was more interested in fixing those marks, I insisted them to work on the marks.

Initially they were no keen to do anything, however later they proposed to get the windscreen buffed using some compound; initially I was hesitant as I thought it would lead to some minor scratches and night visibility would be deteriorated. However they assured me that it would not happen. They put 3M compound on windshield and started buffing using rotary polisher. It took around half an hour to polish entire windshield; I was keeping eye on entire process to ensure that no marks are left.

Result was excellent; windshield seems crystal clear from outside! No marks on windshield (and full marks to service center!). To be on safer side I got new set of wiper blades after polishing.

I was still suspicious about night visibility after polishing, so in last week couple of times I drove car during night time (and heavy rains) and I didn’t find any (-ve)change in visibility. I would surely recommend the polishing of windshield to get rid of wiper marks.

I searched almost all threads related to windshield scratches/marks, I found some suggestion but I could not find exact solution so I thought to put my experience, hope it would help others.
abcxyz07306 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2010, 13:44   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
If you scratch it hard with a stone, it may gain scratches, but the wiper does not wipe the glass with the same force which we apply from hand while scratching.

Even if the particle is harder than glass, it needs force. The Iphone screen is made by the windshield material and hence they don't gain scratches too.
The iphone screen and car windshield have VERY different levels of exposure towards dust. Prolonged usage of wiper blades with dust WILL cause scratches.
Old 30th August 2010, 13:49   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcxyz07306 View Post
I had same problem of having wiper blade marks on my windshield. There were no issues till first one and half year of new WgonR ownership. It all started when I changed wiper blades from Maruti Authorized Service Station around six months back. Marks were getting spread on entire screen; marks were clearly visible from outside as well as inside, though not impacting visibility much. There was a huge vertical mark just next to A pillar on driver side end of windshield.

However I thought to get this issue fixed ASAP; last week I visited same Maruti Authorized Service Station and showed them the problem (the marks on windshield and wiper blade was leaving some water drops). Staff including service advisor agreed that wiper blade was culprit and quickly change one blade. As I was more interested in fixing those marks, I insisted them to work on the marks.

Initially they were no keen to do anything, however later they proposed to get the windscreen buffed using some compound; initially I was hesitant as I thought it would lead to some minor scratches and night visibility would be deteriorated. However they assured me that it would not happen. They put 3M compound on windshield and started buffing using rotary polisher. It took around half an hour to polish entire windshield; I was keeping eye on entire process to ensure that no marks are left.

Result was excellent; windshield seems crystal clear from outside! No marks on windshield (and full marks to service center!). To be on safer side I got new set of wiper blades after polishing.

I was still suspicious about night visibility after polishing, so in last week couple of times I drove car during night time (and heavy rains) and I didn’t find any (-ve)change in visibility. I would surely recommend the polishing of windshield to get rid of wiper marks.

I searched almost all threads related to windshield scratches/marks, I found some suggestion but I could not find exact solution so I thought to put my experience, hope it would help others.
Please share the cost of the Activity.
Old 30th August 2010, 14:23   #38
BHPian

@Aarman_008
I didn't notice any brand name. It looked like a powder puff compact. I will ask him and let you know.

@aargee
Yes, he used the buffing machine on the glass. The friction causes the glass to heat up but not to the extent of deforming the rubber seams. I had the rubber seams covered with paper adhesive tape as a precaution.

@mb_jg
I lost his phone number but I will get it and let you know.

------------------------------------
warm regards
Chewbacca
Old 30th August 2010, 14:29   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
I have the exact same problem, can someone suggest a quick solution for this please.
As suggested I had changed the wiper blades to Bosch and still the problem persists :(
Read my new thread at ...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...indshield.html

---------------------------------
warm regards
Chewbacca
Old 30th August 2010, 14:33   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
The iphone screen and car windshield have VERY different levels of exposure towards dust. Prolonged usage of wiper blades with dust WILL cause scratches.

As I told earlier, the glasses are no different. They are the same glass used in wind shields. That is why it is called "SCRATCH-PROOF", No matter whatever level of exposure IT IS in.
Old 30th August 2010, 14:42   #41
BHPian

The powder in all probability is cerium oxide. Not daimond dust as claimed. In skilled hands, cerium can remove most of the scratches.

Murthy
Old 30th August 2010, 14:46   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Scratch-proof? I wish! I never heard of car glass being called scratch-proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post

Regrettably, there are small arcs in my windscreen that say that you are wrong. Also I have this experience in UK too.

I guess all dust is not equal. Where I live there is a yard stocking building cements and sand etc, and there is a layer of dust on my car every day, much of which is probably very abrasive. I remove it with a soft duster, and then wash, before driving, and also make sure the blades are clean, but still...

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 30th August 2010 at 14:47.
Old 30th August 2010, 14:58   #43
Senior - BHPian

Oh wow - a resource in Pune.

Please give the contact.
Old 30th August 2010, 16:04   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Read my new thread at ...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...indshield.html

---------------------------------
warm regards
Chewbacca
@chewbacca, I only wish this person was here in Bangalore or I was in Pune :(

Any bangy guys heard of this solution in Bangalore?
Old 30th August 2010, 18:22   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinimurthy View Post
The powder in all probability is cerium oxide. Not daimond dust as claimed. In skilled hands, cerium can remove most of the scratches.

Murthy
I asked the same thing to the polish guy. He says Cerium powder is good only for spectacle lenses that are made using machining tools. It requires lot of pressure and takes a very long time to achieve the results so they use diamond dust which does the job faster.

Who knows, they might be mixing both?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks