Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2004, 13:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,
Am in my farm and was researching some stuff and atlast go through with this. My friend had got his Honda City 1.5 Exi 1999 model. I have never chipped a Honda before... but have used piggy back comps, like the SMT, Apexi SAFC, Emanage etc. But these equipments costs more than 15k. My friend was actually looking to swap his ecm with a sports city ecm which had a lock of 7400. But that too was costing more than 15k.

So i just sat pulled the ecm out, Passenger side right wall. This is a pretty small ecm. After opening it, it looked pretty primitive (lol). It had a Single NEC MCU. Well here the experimentation started, I had a few components lying here. We looked up for the P3S ecm pin outs and pcb diagrams, We then built a small unit which was fooling the Main MCU, which let it think the rev limit is not yet reached, a fuel you may ask, most honda ECU's have fuel maps upto 9000rpm, but yeah just with the rpm mod we were running pretty lean, So we then sat with the MAF and Lamda inputs to the ECM, again with a little bit of tweaking we somehow got the car running about slightly rich. Better rich than lean.

Now man!, just seeing the car rev upto 8k was amazing!, the honda dial ends at 8k . The drive was superb, immediate response, we floored the car on 1st gear the tires were screeching to glory, we just couldnt keep our eyes of the rev limiter, 7-7.2-7.5-7.8 we shift, didnt want to take it till 8. Im not sure but the 1st gear we hit around 80+ kph... have to check today. Shift to second and screech again, the extra 1200rpm really did work wonderfully. Now with a cam to pull up the powerband, a little more header tweaking and were set!!.

Sorry guys i can tell the exact procedure of what i did, due to professional reasons. But if anyone interested can give me a buzz, will surely help you guys out, The total mod costs between 5k- 10k, possible on any mpfi car. No additional units etc. Ur ecm will look as stock as it is.

Cheers
Dom

PS: Will be back in bangalore today, and will take a few proper test drives with the proper equipment and post it.
Old 17th October 2004, 13:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

But Dom, is it safe to run a stock engine upto 8000? Replacing the chip is fine but what about the mechanical capabilities of the engine? What if the engine just gives up after a few runs?

If yor friends car is a 1.5, then at what rpm is the max power being produced now? Will it remain the same at 100bhp@6500rpm? If so, then does it make sense pulling the car another 1500rpm without any increase in power?

Shan2nu
Old 17th October 2004, 13:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Shan,
* Well yea, limitations are there. But nop the engine wont blow up or anythin. We noticed that there is no valve float at all, so were pretty safe. And power i have to check now, tonight will do a few runs with the gtech pro to pull up some charts.

*The last time i checked the car produced 109bhp at 6800rpm, when we were hitting the revlimit, will have to see if the power band is higher. 109 coz i had put in a tuned header to push the band more up. With a crower stage 3 cam, Titanium retainers and dual valve springs, i can push the car even to 9k, but at the moment i noticed there was no point pushin after 7800.

* The main reason to do this is in a drag we get that 1000 rpm more in each gear (and yea we need the power too at that rpm).

Cheers
Dom

Old 17th October 2004, 18:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Wow maan.....but is it possible on an ikon ?
Old 17th October 2004, 20:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

dom
in english please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
looks like i should come to banglore for a month for training,me studying mech engg, could only understand a few words(shame on me:( )
Old 17th October 2004, 22:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

How about some 0-100, 1/4 mile and 0-150 times!! That will tell the story better.

Shan2nu
Old 17th October 2004, 23:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,
Yes shan2nu will get those results shortly. And normally_crazy yea dude possible for ikon too. in fact most cars with pre-OBD, OBD0, OBD1, OBD2. For the OBD3 i am shortly getting an upgrade from my present software which will even modify OBD3 ecm's too.

Cheers
Dom
Old 18th October 2004, 02:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hey Dom

Pal i have the 8 bit mpfi system on my Matiz. Car goes upto 6k rpm (limited by manufacturer). Any idea if it can go beyond that. Ever worked on one. Do you recommend for Matiz? If you have, lemme know. Might be interested.

Revv
Old 18th October 2004, 02:25   #9
BHPian

Great work Dom, waiting for your test results.
Old 18th October 2004, 11:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hi Revv,
Yea it is possible, infact easier on the matiz. You could raise it about 500rpm more. Coz more is un-neccessary on a stock car, as the powerband drops. The matiz engine isnt a high revving one too so going more will be undesirable. 500more should be more than enough.
Thanks Salil.

Cheers
Dom
Old 18th October 2004, 18:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hey Dom.....great job that one.Waitin for the test results n stuff like all.
One Q,Wots the revv limit on a Lancer???

X
Old 19th October 2004, 02:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

hey Dom,
first of all i did not understand anything abt ur mods to the chip inspite of having done my Engg in electronics &telecom.
if all that u have written really works,then that is really awesome.
its really great and previleged to have someone like u with us.
keep up the good work,

satya
Old 19th October 2004, 02:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

Great thing Dom. Lemme know when you are down in this part of the country and we'll work something out. Thanx

Revv
Old 19th October 2004, 11:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Sure thing revv, will do so. Hey X-Machine i think its 6800 too on the lancer, but it does go upto 7000.
And thanks satya... will probably need your help then. Im not that good in electronics.... just in the basics

Cheers
Dom
Old 19th October 2004, 15:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

hey dom, y am i surprised?

keep u'r genius brain revving without a rev-limi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks