Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2016, 17:26   #31
BHPian

Re: Converted my Santro Automatic to Manual!

You cant imagine The amount of problems dirty oil or an improper amount of oil can cause to an auto trans. They probably never gained popularity in india because the auto cos besides the FE disadvantage realised the extremely poor upkeep that is prevelant in the indian market.

Ive seen symptoms exactly like yours get cured simply by a complete oil and oil filter change. Not once but many times. I really think, your mechanic isnt as good as you think he is. If you read around international AT forums you'll realise the same

AT's are very durable infact, due to their basic construction they are seldom subjected to shocks/impacts of anykind. the only wear part are the brake bands and they too can easily cross lakh(s). had you probably stuck to getting your car serviced at hyundai, youd still be driving an AT.

if you still have the parts and they werent damaged in taking them off i think they are worth a second chance. costs next to nothing in labour to remove a trans and reinstall.

let me reiterate. Even if your oil level is ok, old oil alone can cause an AT trans to slip.

Last edited by mycarhasablower : 18th April 2016 at 17:33.
Old 1st June 2016, 00:33   #32
BHPian

Re: Converted my Santro Automatic to Manual!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
There are local mechanics who repair AT boxes and torque converters in most major cities. I know two aftermarket experts in Pune. One of them is actually a lathe and turning shop owner, and requires a auto mechanic to dismantle the converter which he repairs and hands back for reassembly.

Rahul
I think my torque converter in my 2003 XG has failed just a few hours ago, exactly as described earlier in the thread, at odometer reading of 76234 Km. I would like to retain my car as an automatic and therefore I would be highly obliged if you could let me know if I could get the torque converter sent across to your Lathe guy for reconditioning ? Kindly share the details with me and the likely costs at the machine shop. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks