Team-BHP - Gear-shift lever vibrations
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Gear-shift lever vibrations (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/1751-gear-shift-lever-vibrations.html)

hi guys,
My new ikon (4k kms) has some vibrations in the gear-shift lever, right from the time the vehicle is started. I have been observing these vibrations sometime after I crossed 1000 kms. These stay the same in all 5 gears. I happened to mention this during my first service, but was told that these are normal in the new batch of vehicles. Now that I am due for my second service, I wanted to really get this thing fixed as the vibrations are visible and are getting onto my nerves. :-( Any ideas as to what could be wrong? Are these vibrations indicative of some other problme? Is any one else seeing this issue in ikon?

I think one can feel the vibrations in all cars. but not see!!

If you can see...! then also check how much your engine vibrates!.. or any vibration is steering?

And what kind of vibrations are these?... are they only while in gears or even in neutral while idling?

ps: the only car where vibrations can be actually seen is Qualis!.. the gear knob jumps 4-6inches when the engine is started!!!!!

Could be that the linkages are not tightened properly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (SLK @ Nov. 04 2004,16:44)]If you can see...! then also check how much your engine vibrates!.. or any vibration is steering?

And what kind of vibrations are these?... *are they only while in gears or even in neutral while idling?

well...i cant feel any such vibrations on my steering..just the lever..and yes..it vibrates both while in gear as well as in neutral.

HI...

Do you hear any cranking sound mild to medium as u accelrate after changing gears ...or is it one hard click(KDHHHH) every time you change gears....

If it is the 2nd one then it is definately a Backlash Problem...They have to open the gear box to fix it....and it can be fixed..if it is the first one i was told it has got somthing to do with the oil ...But am not sure about it.

Regds
Kakx

OOh forget about the Vibrations thing.....Short lever gears would not normally vibrate much....but there is some play always required for gear stick and so it does vibrate...

You could ask them to check the wisers ask them to change or add an extra one to cut the play.

Regds
kakx.

Ps: I had the same problems but only on a diff car.

Bumping up this thread.

My OHC's gear lever has been vibrating from 80kmph to 100kmph. The steering is fine, everything else is ok but just the gear shift starts wobbling.

What could be the problem? I got alignment done after my suspension work but not balancing (this was done right before the suspension over haul, stupid I know).

What can I check?

All shift levers vibrate a lot but yours may be too much. Politely but assertively tell them to go underneath and tighten EVERYTHING up from the shift linkage to the tranny to the clutch to the engine mounts.

There are always more vibrations at low idling rpm. The less the no of cylinders, the more the vibration.

e.g. A 3-cylinder Maruti Alto has 3 power strokes every 2 revolutions. When it idles at 900 rpm (15) rev/sec, there is a 22.5 Hz vibration -- easy to feel.

By contrast a V8 idling at 900 rpm would have a 60 Hz vibration, more of a low smooth audio hum -- A B1 note (15th key on a piano).

Diesel engines vibrate more (esp. when cold) because of the loose piston to cylinder tolerances, creating piston slap. So a 3-cylinder diesel Hyundai Accent Viva would vibrate more than a Maruti 800.

Engine and gearbox mounts absorb some of this vibration. In older cars with worn mounts, the vibrating gearbox will cause vibration of the gear lever.

This is from the driving end. Another source of vibration is from the driven end : clutch-judder. That can vibrate the whole powertrain and show up as a vibrating gear lever too.

I got all the mountings checked. There are 2 engine mounts that are faulty. The front one and the one on the right side (facing the bonnet).

My mechanic told me they need replacement. Can this be the reason for only the gear shift to wobble at/after 80kmph?

Also, how much would these mounts cost?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankitahuja (Post 858569)
There are 2 engine mounts that are faulty.
Can this be the reason for only the gear shift to wobble at/after 80kmph?

Also, how much would these mounts cost?

Could be, yes. Mounts are cheap usually. You might have this mechanic tighten everything up while your are in the shop or a trusted local guy could do that, too.

I would ask him for the old mounts. This will make him think you know what you are doing, that you will inspect the old parts to see if the are really faulty. It tends to keep them honest.

Ankit - The mounts for the OHC cost around 1500 a piece. And while you are at it, I would recommend you replace all 3 mounts at the same time.

:Shockked: 1500!!! I thought it costs much less.

I'll try my sources for this, she's burning big holes in my pocket at this age man! :Frustrati

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang / Abusive language is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please refrain from the use of any such language, even indirectly.