Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2006, 22:22   #46
Senior - BHPian

I filled the tyres to my usual pressure -- 30psi. Fiat recommends 28psi for normal usage (not laden with weight) and 32psi for full load. I always fill 30psi as this is what agrees with me, my Palio and the Pilot Precedas.

Nitrogen does make the feel tyres kinda squishy. Is this the feeling you get? But you know, this makes the ride so much better. I'd resigned myself to a harsher ride in the city after I switched to 50 profiles. But the ride is much better with Nitrogen -- because of this squishy feel. It also feels like it grips the road better. The steering does get just a wee bit heavier, but that's not a problem for me.
Old 1st November 2006, 11:51   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pujaari
. Only question i have is that i find my tires a little deflated then when i got air on them. Should'nt nitrogen filled be a tad more(20% more) than what recommended by tire manufacturers? cos there recco is for air which is a mixture of gases and we are getting 1 pure gas filled which is much lighter and has diff pressure exertion on side walls of the tires.
that's the whole point. why else are we discussing nitrogen as a substitute?

gas pressure is gas pressure. no matter what gas or mixture of gases it is.

different pressure on sidewalls.....diferent from what? 30 psi is 30 psi

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 1st November 2006 at 11:52.
vivekiny2k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2006, 14:48   #48

You mean to suggest that at different tempratures all the gasses will behave the same way?? at 100 deg for eg the expansion of all gasses would be the same and hence would behave the same . At 30 psi and X temp a nitro filled tyre will behave diff from 30 psi of air at X temp. And the manufac recco's are for air and not nitro my dear. When i got my tyres nitro filled, i just noticed that tyres looked a tad under inflated and hence was worried that it might be bad for the tyres.
Old 2nd November 2006, 15:08   #49
BHPian

Quote:
When i got my tyres nitro filled, i just noticed that tyres looked a tad under inflated and hence was worried that it might be bad for the tyres.
Just curious.. if the tyre looks underinflated, wouldnt the contact patch change and wear out the sides faster?
Old 3rd November 2006, 04:27   #50
BHPian

I am interested in trying out Nitrogen gas in my car. But before that I need to find out answers to few questions. Do you need tubeless tyres only to fill nitrogen or can you fill nitrogen in a tubed tyres too.

Where is it available in Mumbai, I have read the entire thread but have failed to find out this answer. Please provide me the answers to this question.
Old 3rd November 2006, 08:44   #51
BANNED

Hi,

Premji's at Mahim offer this. I think they charge Rs50/- per wheel. Logically I feel you would need tubeless tyres.

Viper
Old 3rd November 2006, 11:12   #52
Senior - BHPian

Yes you can fill in nitorgen in tubed tyres too, but the noticable difference is going to be very small. On tubeless tyres the difference is much more noticable.
Old 3rd November 2006, 13:05   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishsegar
Just curious.. if the tyre looks underinflated, wouldnt the contact patch change and wear out the sides faster?
That is the only thing that bother's me otherwise there is immense improve in ride qual and wud highly recco u to go for it. I topped up my tires with 20% more nitro and still the ride qual is as good with tyres looking normal and not deflated....u could try that.
Old 3rd November 2006, 13:07   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k
that's the whole point. why else are we discussing nitrogen as a substitute?

gas pressure is gas pressure. no matter what gas or mixture of gases it is.

different pressure on sidewalls.....diferent from what? 30 psi is 30 psi
You mean to suggest that at different tempratures all the gasses will behave the same way?? at 100 deg for eg the expansion of all gasses would be the same and hence would behave the same . At 30 psi and X temp a nitro filled tyre will behave diff from 30 psi of air at X temp. And the manufac recco's are for air and not nitro my dear. When i got my tyres nitro filled, i just noticed that tyres looked a tad under inflated and hence was worried that it might be bad for the tyres.
Old 3rd November 2006, 13:23   #55

An interesting article i found on the net about nitro filled tyres check it out at http://www.hindu.com/mp/2006/08/16/s...1600310300.htm

Few excerpt's from the article
Nitrogen was first used in aircraft tyres, racing car tyres and has even been used in the space shuttle's tyres, all of which needed Nitrogen to handle the extreme operating conditions, especially the heat.

The culprit in regular air, which is filled from the low-end pumps, that you find being vended for free in most fuel stations is moisture and of course, the Oxygen content. For one, the mix of gases in air tends to make it more susceptible for heat expansion, leakage and loss of pressure leading to its gradual flow out from tyre and tube valves. In comparison, the molecular structure of pure Nitrogen and its inherent characteristics enable it to be less prone to heat expansion and leakage.

Further, the moisture and Oxygen in air tends to react with the wheel rim and tube rubber leading to long-term deterioration. In tubeless tyres, the moisture and Oxygen leads to accelerated oxidization of both aluminium and steel depending on the type of wheels being used

But, a couple of the big benefits are of course, the improved mileage from the more consistent maintenance of recommended air pressure in the tyres for a longer duration and the longer life of the tyres.
Old 3rd November 2006, 20:32   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the answer is "NO", and what I meant was that is THE reason N2 was being preferred over air.

I beileve you already found that, in your latest post.
Old 3rd November 2006, 20:53   #57
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Pujaari : where in delhi is nitro available brotha ?
Old 4th November 2006, 12:02   #58
BHPian

Normally nitrogen is used in F1 racing.I am using this nitrogen for last 6months.For high speeds and for long journey it is useful.It reduce the tire blasting.And ofcourse we dont have to check the tyre pressure for 2 or 3months.Pressure only varies 1psi 0r 2 psi in a month or 2.
Old 4th November 2006, 13:10   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa
Pujaari : where in delhi is nitro available brotha ?
HP's Hemkund service station just after the Def col flyover(Over looking JLNehru stadium) Mon-sun except saturday. go generally after 10 in the morning till 6 in eve. rs 15(4 wheelers) for all 5 tyres and u could tip the guy when u go for a recheck and Rs 10 for 2 wheelers.
just incase u cant find the station their tel no is:24361301,24361358 (written on the pamphleti got when got tyre niro filled)

some adv written on the pamphlet are:

Low Thermal Conductivity of Ntrogen
Nitro doesnt expand due to heat, therefore in summer or at hih speed, the tyre does not expand or burst due to inc in temp.

Due to high thermal coeff of expansion, nitrogen derives a stable nature. therefore, the gas does not expand due to inc in temp and hence does not exert pressure on internal wall of the tyre. it gives longer life to tyre.

The nitro gas does no contract due to low temp. thus the tyre rubber does not contract. therefore for the life of the tyre rubber increases.

Also as the tyre rubber remains softer( elastic) because of low expansion and contraction, the breaking of tyre is improved due to improved road grip.

Advantages of nitrogen gas

As the elastic property of tyre rubber is intact, the tyre does not skid on turns. the tyre makes less noise on turns.
Usage of nitrogen gas in tyre "increase the tyre life by 20-25% & fuel saving by 6-10%.

Al F1 and racing cars use nitro in tyre for better road grip, driving comfort and safety

Nitro is lighter than air in weight. Usage of nitrogen gas in wheels dec overall weight of the vehicle and hence inc fuel efficiency

The size of nitrogen gas molecules is 4 times bigger than air molecules therefore incase of puncture, the nitrogen gas escapesvery slowly from the tyre thus giving more time to drive a punctured tyre.
Old 4th November 2006, 13:13   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k
the answer is "NO", and what I meant was that is THE reason N2 was being preferred over air.

I beileve you already found that, in your latest post.
point taken sir , i am not into any arguments was just discussing a concern i had. you may be right. was just worried if underiflated looks could by any means be harmful for the tyres? cheers mate.

Most Viewed