Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2010, 19:33   #691
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post

You can't substitute water even if you can match the pressure, lol! You are using pneumatic tyres and not hydro tyres, I presume? Water is nowhere as compressible. The additional mass is another issue...
It was a joke!

What I meant to highlight was that we are talking about pressure here and not volume.
Old 2nd January 2010, 19:38   #692
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Errr... where does volume come into the picture? Air or N or water - the volume would be almost the same in any case.
Old 2nd January 2010, 19:49   #693
Senior - BHPian

What I meant by volume is that, more amount of air needs to be compressed into a smaller amount to yield a particular pressure reading.
Pneumatic tires work on the principle of requisite pressure on the inner walls.

Whatever the fluid being compressed into the tire, it'll have to be at a definite set pressure regardless of its volume at STP.
I am not sure if I am able to get my point across. Sorry about that.

Pressure is a characteristic of the tire and not of the fluid in the tire is what I meant to say.
Old 3rd January 2010, 11:08   #694
BHPian

I filled my tires with nitrogen before my trip to Bangalore.

There is no obvious difference that we felt, except for the pressure loss issue. May be good for long trips.
Old 10th January 2010, 22:58   #695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
Nitrogen is free at HP pumps in Chennai if fuel is filled for a minimum Rs. 1000.
Thanks for the usefull info
Old 28th January 2010, 22:58   #696
BHPian

Just adding an info:
At Chennai, I Got to know that in Velachery you can get Nitrogen filled in your tires. The place is called XL Tire point (selling Alloys too), after the Velachery rail Over bridge, just after the signal there, to your right.

They charge 50 per tire for the initial filling, and 10 per tire there after for every top up.
For 2 wheeler, it is 50 total for initial and 10 total for top up.

I did it for my Honda Dio. felt slightly better immediately, but cannot really guage what/why/how. Since it is in my daily route, I plan to do it from there for my Punto too.

BTW appreciate if any one could give pointers to petrol stations in this route (Velachery - T Nagar) which provides free Nitrogen filling on Fuel fills.
Old 29th January 2010, 10:00   #697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePunter View Post
Just adding an info:
At Chennai, I Got to know that in Velachery you can get Nitrogen filled in your tires. The place is called XL Tire point (selling Alloys too), after the Velachery rail Over bridge, just after the signal there, to your right.

They charge 50 per tire for the initial filling, and 10 per tire there after for every top up.
For 2 wheeler, it is 50 total for initial and 10 total for top up.

I did it for my Honda Dio. felt slightly better immediately, but cannot really guage what/why/how. Since it is in my daily route, I plan to do it from there for my Punto too.

BTW appreciate if any one could give pointers to petrol stations in this route (Velachery - T Nagar) which provides free Nitrogen filling on Fuel fills.
That's too expensive! Even MASS doesn't charge so much!
Old 29th January 2010, 10:42   #698
BHPian

We have moved away from the original topic about the merits and demerits of filling nitrogen in tyres. I think it is time we opened a new thread to discuss where to get nitrogen for cheap.
Old 9th March 2010, 18:22   #699
BHPian

I have my Ford Ikon tubeless tyres filled with Nitrogen gas. I filled it in Nov. 09 and used to check the level with only nitrogen only at the same pump after a gap of 1 month. This Saturday, 06Mar when i went to check the pressure the pump guy to my surprise told me that you have to fill the nitrogen completely all over again. I asked him the reason which he don't know, he just said that the nitrogen validity is for 2 months and after that you have to fill the nitrogen completely by paying Rs. 20 per tyre.
I just want to know that is it like that way that you need to change the nitrogen completely after sometime.
Old 9th March 2010, 18:31   #700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakowli View Post
I just want to know that is it like that way that you need to change the nitrogen completely after sometime.
You do not need to change the Nitrogen, you need to urgently change your 'pump'!
Old 9th March 2010, 19:42   #701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
You do not need to change the Nitrogen, you need to urgently change your 'pump'!
May be they are filling some special radio active nitrogen having a half life period of two months!
Old 9th March 2010, 20:10   #702
BHPian

Exactly, that person is just trying to rip you off! I last topped up nitrogen in my car tyres in Dec09, and haven't had any need to refill/topup till now. And whenever I feel the tyre pressure low, I just go to MASS and they topup free of cost!
Old 9th March 2010, 20:14   #703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
We have moved away from the original topic about the merits and demerits of filling nitrogen in tyres. I think it is time we opened a new thread to discuss where to get nitrogen for cheap.

Welcome to the IBP petrol station in Kottivakkam. The initial fill ups and the top ups are absolutely free, irrespective of you filling your tank full, or for 100 Rs...
Old 9th March 2010, 20:48   #704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakowli View Post
I have my Ford Ikon tubeless tyres filled with Nitrogen gas. I filled it in Nov. 09 and used to check the level with only nitrogen only at the same pump after a gap of 1 month. This Saturday, 06Mar when i went to check the pressure the pump guy to my surprise told me that you have to fill the nitrogen completely all over again. I asked him the reason which he don't know, he just said that the nitrogen validity is for 2 months and after that you have to fill the nitrogen completely by paying Rs. 20 per tyre.
Could you let me know which pump is this and its location etc.
Old 10th March 2010, 01:00   #705
BHPian

It is in Dadar, Prabhadevi area in Mumbai. Just opposite to Siddhivinayak Temple. Anyhow i just refilled the Nitrogen free of cost not allowing him to change entirely. As i know the pump people very well as i stay in the near by building. but just wanted to confirm m i right or not. i knew they were looking to rip me of money but i didn't allow them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks