Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2010, 21:17   #736
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
I had 50+psi filled in my tube type tyres when taking delivery, even the guys at petrol bunk were shocked. The ride felt rock hard and rear left tire developed a bulge. When I asked the dealer, he said that this helps to increase the intervals of refilling tire. He offered to buy back all tires & exchange them with Bridgestone tubeless' @ approx 80% discount to which I agreed.

You are lucky with your tubeless, mine required top up more frequently on air . Tyre guys said this happens when there are deformities in the Rim or tire bead. How can this be on all 4 tires?

If this 'joke played by nature' doesn't happen to you or your place has good 'Air', please don't waste time on N2 in tires, instead put N2O in engine if you need 'kicks'.

Cheers!
50 PSI! U are lucky it didnt burst! That's dangerous if you are drivng at high speed.

The issue is with the tube that actually allows the air to leak thru its pores. I hear (tyre gurus please correct me if I am wrong) that the rubber lining on tubeless tyres is made of material with finer pores and of better quality which allows them to retain air for longer periods of time and of course resist deformation caused by intrusion by a foreign object

What you experience whilst checking air pressure is common place. Tyre pressures are meant to be checked when cold i.e. at ambient OR with the car having been driven less than 1 km at low speeds. Therefore, if you find the pressure increase when you reach the air filling station it is perfectly natural. But you must resist the temptation to decrease and actually do the opposite i.e. increase the pressure to above what is recommended by 2 PSI.

I need to drive at least 1.5-2 kms to the filling station and that is the reason why I always fill a couple of PSI more than recommended. When the tyres are back to ambient, the pressure also reduces. To be absolutely sure I check the pressure the next morning and let out any excess. You could do the same.

PS - This goes for air or nitrogen..not sure abt N2O.
Cheers!

Last edited by R2D2 : 10th May 2010 at 21:19. Reason: added PS
Old 12th May 2010, 13:15   #737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akole View Post
I would like to know if anyone has had the experience of filling dry nitrogen in their car tyres? The sales pitch says that dry nirtogen is a better choice as (a) nitrogen, having larger molecules, dissipates at a lower rate (than air) through the tube walls and (b) the lack of moisture in the nirogen keeps the tryres running cool.

Due to both, the trye pressure remains constant over larger periods (one needs to check pressure only after 6 months).

Any opinions would be welcome. Chennai has at least one such outlet.
Didn't work for me. Had to refill every 3 months, and there was a pressure drop of 2-3 each time as well.

Apollo Acceleres, they were filled with nitrogen from the start, and they were filled at New Bharat Pit Stop. So it's not a case of old air left in the tires, or a case of bad filling, or not using dry nitrogen.

It just proves that Dry Nitrogen and it's associated benefits aren't applicable on street cars. So unless you're filling your airplane or supercar/superbike don't waste your money on this gas.
Old 12th May 2010, 13:24   #738
BHPian

I filled dry nitrogen in my car's tyres when I bought them, almost 6 months/11K kms back. Still haven't had any need to refill.
Old 12th May 2010, 14:08   #739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
Didn't work for me. Had to refill every 3 months, and there was a pressure drop of 2-3 each time as well.

Apollo Acceleres, they were filled with nitrogen from the start, and they were filled at New Bharat Pit Stop. So it's not a case of old air left in the tires, or a case of bad filling, or not using dry nitrogen.

It just proves that Dry Nitrogen and it's associated benefits aren't applicable on street cars. So unless you're filling your airplane or supercar/superbike don't waste your money on this gas.
Sorry but human beings thrive on faith not logic.
This entire thread is a testimony to that.
Old 12th May 2010, 14:13   #740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
I filled dry nitrogen in my car's tyres when I bought them, almost 6 months/11K kms back. Still haven't had any need to refill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Sorry but human beings thrive on faith not logic.
This entire thread is a testimony to that.
di1in ; majority is happy as you will see from the posts on this thread. I too am happy about the NO2 usage as was reported here.

I would suggest that you get your car's tyre checked.
Old 12th May 2010, 14:26   #741
BHPian

I just changed to alloys on fiesta last week and I filled Nitrogen in my new Yoko's as well. I must say that the car feels just better than normal air.

Go for Nitrogen.
Old 14th May 2010, 10:18   #742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
di1in ; majority is happy as you will see from the posts on this thread. I too am happy about the NO2 usage as was reported here.

I would suggest that you get your car's tyre checked.
JKD, I hope you intended Nitrogen and not NO2. The latter is a toxic gas with a very acrid smell. I don't think it will work well with tyres or people!
Old 17th May 2010, 08:50   #743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
I've filled Nitrogen in my Hyundai Tucson recently and the following are the observations based on my TPMS sensor readings (Live monitoring of Tyre Pressure as well as air temperature; accurate to first decimal).

- No loss of pressure (cold tyre pressure) since last 3 weeks: With normal air, I used to be down by ~2 psi gradually in 4-5 weeks: Advantage Nitrogen!!!
- Increase in Tyre pressure after a run of ~10 Km is the same as with normal air. Normal Air and Nitrogen seems to expand the same way!!!
- Increase in Tyre Temperature after a run of ~10 Km is the same as with normal air. Tyre temperature increase with Normal Air as well as Nitrogen hovers around the same point over ambient temperature!!!
- Ride "seems" a little bit more stiffer with Nitrogen (Filled up the same PSI as recommended for normal air)

Results are compared over the last 5 weeks and I don't see any advantage with Nitrogen over Normal Air other than the 1-2 psi leak with normal air in 4-5 weeks. Since I'm just on the 4th week with Nitrogen, I'll wait for a couple of weeks before I conclude whether Nitrogen is any better in holding the pressure compared to Normal air.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
Update: On 6th week with Nitrogen and the pressure remains pretty much constant on all 5 Tires. To be precise, the pressure read by the TPMS sensor shows a few decimal places less that it was originally but it could be due to ambient temperature variations as all 5 tires show comparatively similar drop. I'm doing a 600+ km over the next few days. Lets see how different it would be after a long run.

Finding nitrogen filling stations is such a PITA and I may revert back to normal air gradually.

I'm convinced that all those tall claims of nitrogen producing less tire temperature and less pressure variation due to expansion are nothing but placebo effects.
Update after ~820 km run over 2 days: The roads were a 80:20 mix of National and State highways with varied road conditions. Tire pressures (originally filled with Nitrogen) reduced around 3-4 PSI (cold tire pressure) after the first half of the journey. Reduction is more on the front tires for obvious reasons. Refilled with normal air to offset the difference and observed appoximately the same reduction in pressure after the return half of the journey.

I'm back to normal air...No more nitrogen gimmicks for me unless it comes FREE.

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 17th May 2010 at 09:07.
Digital Vampire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2010, 09:14   #744
Senior - BHPian

Nitrogen helps lighten the wallet and nothing else. It does not improve ride, nor does it increase tire life nor magically seal punctures.
S why waste money!!
Old 17th May 2010, 09:23   #745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It does not improve ride, nor does it increase tire life nor magically seal punctures.
Do you have any data on that it does not increase the tyre life by decreasing wear and tear?

it certainly has improved my ride quality and drastically reduced my tyre noise too(60%).

Quote:
It does not magically seal punctures
I dont know about magic. But which gas seals puncture?
Old 17th May 2010, 10:21   #746
Senior - BHPian

What i meant is that if i put anything inside my tire for 150 bucks.. i would want it to take care of punctures too.
I would rather make every penny be worth something even if it is Rs.100!!

What data do you have to prove that nitrogen improves tire life(if at al) and how do you substantiate that data and how do you quantify the improvement in ride quality.

Improved tire life depends on factors other than the gas inside a tire.
Old 17th May 2010, 10:22   #747
BANNED

This thread still fascinates me.
Old 17th May 2010, 16:55   #748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
This thread still fascinates me.
What you should say is that "Human beings and the power of belief in faith fascinate me".
Old 17th May 2010, 17:08   #749
Senior - BHPian

Faith is reported to move mountains. What is to say about tire life, ride comfort and allied, relatively insignificant phenomena?
Old 17th May 2010, 17:12   #750
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr_007 View Post
I just changed to alloys on fiesta last week and I filled Nitrogen in my new Yoko's as well. I must say that the car feels just better than normal air.

Go for Nitrogen.
So the alloys and the new tires have no role in the improved ride quality.
Its all thanks to Nitrogen.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks