Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Hands on the wheel at?
10-2 28 27.72%
11-1 5 4.95%
8-4 5 4.95%
One-handed 46 45.54%
9-1 (option added) 1 0.99%
I'm chaffeured 0 0%
Can't remember!!! 2 1.98%
9-3 (option added) 14 13.86%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2006, 15:26   #61
kph
BHPian

[FONT=&quot]Right hand on the wheel, left hand on the gear.. Very much comfortable with this position as long as it's a power steering. Otherwise a support by left hand needed.[/FONT]
Old 1st October 2006, 17:12   #62
BHPian

10-2 is the safest for highways...but for us off-roaders it's 11-1 and the thumbs on the outer rim of the wheel...a front tyre going over a rock could make the steering spin suddenly, causing serious injury to the thumbs if caught in the steering's spoke!
Old 1st October 2006, 21:44   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
If your swerves are planned and you have the time to get your one hand in the right position, then one hand is fine. When two hands are on the job and when one hand gets into the wrong position for a particular swerve, the other hand will automatically take over -- this could easily happen when you do not have the time to anticipate.

Remember that in an emergency you may need to do a series of maneuvers. Say, you swerve sharply to the right because the vehicle you are overtaking does the same on seeing some obstacle on the road -- and your right hand is now at 4 O clock. You will need to immediately swerve sharp left to keep the car in control and there may be fish-tailing as well. Here you may be struggling with only right hand. Also remember that at any time and especially while overtaking, you may find yourself braking hard without expecting it, and the car may pull sharply in one direction or the other -- here you will need the added strength and control that two hands will provide in order to keep your car on course.
Nicely explained RKS. Point taken.

Infact now that you mention it I realise that yes, mostly it's the planned moves that are one handed. But a lot of times the second hand does come into play without one realising.

Btw, it may be a distinct possibility for all of us who have said one-handed in the poll -> we actually use the second hand quite often at a subconcious level without realising the frequency.
Old 29th November 2009, 22:47   #64
Senior - BHPian

The Two is the best and safest position but I do use the Right hand.trying to use both hands but the habit goes to one.I will try for two.
Old 30th November 2009, 13:21   #65
BHPian

9-1 when substantial inputs are required.
Else it is one handed or 9-3ish (hands resting on the spokes and right elbow on the door hand rest).

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
9-1 is something I have found quite comfortable - and used often. The spoke at 9 helps. Also, the right hand at 9 means it's easy to get the right hand back to the gear lever for a gear shift.
Old 30th November 2009, 13:29   #66
Senior - BHPian

Can't vote because I mostly drive with a 3, and sometimes a very relaxed 6. Rarely I go for a 10-2.

One hand will be mostly on the gear lever - that's why I have single digit positions
Old 30th November 2009, 13:33   #67
Senior - BHPian

A 2006 october thread (last posting then was on 1st October 2006) got life and brought here after 3 years?

I voted for 9-3 but sometime I use 8-3 as well as single handed (50% of the time).
Also have a bad habit of keeping one hand on the gear top!
Old 30th November 2009, 13:41   #68
BHPian

I dont remember though, i think my intincts does it for me as per the travel needs, but definitely not with an hand on the gear knob, since this will mess up the gear selector due to the pressure we put on it unknowingly.

Will try and be more conscious from now on to understand my steering position.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks