Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Best Period to drive for you?
Running-in Phase (<1,000 km) 9 3.30%
1,000 to 10,000 km 24 8.79%
10,000 to 30,000 km 158 57.88%
30,000 to 50,000 km 60 21.98%
50,000 to 75,000 km 11 4.03%
75,000 to 1,00,000 km 4 1.47%
1,00,000 km and above 7 2.56%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2016, 13:36   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Best km range to drive a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post
From my own experience, I felt the engine of my car (Hyundai EON Magna, 2012) feels much smoother after 30000 kms. The ride quality also has improved significantly post 40000 kms, though a part of this may be attributed to the new set of 4G tires it wears now.

So, voted for 30000-50000 range.
I have to experienced the same, Specially around 40,000 kms onwards the engines become really smooth, Sort of refined in a way, It deliver's better mileage and the whole car itself drives like a dream, Have experienced this in my previous 3 cars.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 09:59   #32
BANNED

I voted for 30000-50000 kms for two reasons. One is that I had found the engine of my 2004 Scorpio becoming increasingly more economical (often upto 14-15 km /litre, on the highway, without aircon in winter touring) during this period. Also I found the lub. oil consumption plummeting as the piston-rings bedded in properly. I haven't really kept track of this, but I find weeks passing (while using regularly, often on longer out-of-town trips) with the dip-stick level stubbornly indicating the upper mark - without loss of viscosity, which would indicate fuel contamination.

Last edited by shashanka : 30th May 2016 at 10:04.
Old 30th May 2016, 13:09   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

I think that 10,000 to 30,000 km range is best to enjoy a car.My dad used to end up stalling the Jetta even after crossing the run in period.The car also seems to be much smoother although the noisy goodyear tyres are wreaking havoc by creating road noise
Old 30th May 2016, 19:41   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
I think that 10,000 to 30,000 km range is best to enjoy a car.My dad used to end up stalling the Jetta even after crossing the run in period.The car also seems to be much smoother although the noisy goodyear tyres are wreaking havoc by creating road noise
Ditto with the noisy goodyear tyres, They have become really unbearable specially after 25,000 kms, Will swap them at 30,000 kms anyways.

I happen to ask my dad the same question, And his answer was the same as mine.

10,000 kms to 30,000 kms.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 19:56   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

My chauffeur did get used to the jetty's habit of stalling in the city rather quickly but my dad couldn't avoid some embarrassing moments when he accidentally released the clutch in the wrong ay at the wrong place altogether.The 2.0 litre TDI is vulnerable to stalling and also complaining if in the wrong gear and this takes some getting used to.
On a related note,are any of the Jetta owners facing a squeaking noise coming from the door cards?It looks like the clips are loose and there is an irritating squeak coming from all the doors on bumpy roads
Old 2nd June 2016, 18:00   #36

Most modern cars have a high degree of tolerance when it comes to maintaining a pleasurable driving experience. I have been driving cars across spectrum right from the running in period to two lac plus kilometers. It largely depends on the car you are comparing. I have always felt that most petrol cars feel more smooth and enjoyable to drive in their 20k to 40k kilometers odo reading while most diesels are better off in their 30k to 50k odo reading. Though personally I have driven Innova's past their 100k kilometer reading and still felt like driving a relatively new broken in engine car. To me all it matters is how you break into the engine and other parts in the initial phase of ownership. A well run-in motor is joy and pleasure to drive across the life span of the car.
sknglobal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 00:55   #37
BHPian

Although, I have marked my response as 10k-30k KM age, as the best time to enjoy a car, I feel this is not an honest reply. I have enjoyed each and every stage of my previous cars:

Running In - You enjoy the smell of new plastics. Joy of owning a new car. Congrats, your fling has just starting talking to you.

1-10k: You enjoy the new car feel, get accustomed to the drive. Enjoy the first long trip on your new car. Your fling is now your good friend.

10k-30k: Time for some mods that won't void the warranty. Go fanatic over your car, clean it daily just to attain the showroom look every day. This is the time when I go mad over T-BHP, mad lurking over every possible DIY, Car maintenance and modification threads. Your good friend is now your girlfriend. Love her or let her go !

30k-50k: Fresh out of the 30k service you realize a new level of smoothness and mileage. This is the time when you enjoy tripping the most. This is because you have the reliability of a new engine and performance of a perfectly run-in car. (If you had done it properly till 5k). A worthy life partner in making. A perfect alliance already crafted.

50k-90k : New shoes, new clothes, time for an audio upgrade. Cheers !!! Most probably by this time you would have done away with your EMI's and completed the warranty period. You are free !! You are fearless !! Just take the road, anytime and every time. Get performance mods , get that high end Audio install you were always eyeing at. This is the time when your girlfriend becomes your newly wedded wife. Live your dreams with her.

90k + : This entirely depends on your priorities and reliability of your machine. For me, my Hyundai Santro (1998) was fun to drive even till 2.5 lakh KM (out of the total 2.78 Lakh KM I Drove), While my Maruti Suzuki Swift rattled to death at 95k. Beyond the 90k figures, your life with your car depends on many factors. It cannot be generalized. Perhaps, by this time, your car has either matured into a bickering wife or a lady of wisdom and acquired taste. This transformation is entirely dependent upon the relationship you maintained.Irrespective of what happens, you will never forget her voice in your life, even after you decide to break the alliance. Your car has your distinct smell attached to it. More than the enjoyment its the love that will keep you together after this point.

forgive me if you find the analogy a bit outrageous.
BB311 is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks