Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Best Period to drive for you?
Running-in Phase (<1,000 km) 9 3.30%
1,000 to 10,000 km 24 8.79%
10,000 to 30,000 km 158 57.88%
30,000 to 50,000 km 60 21.98%
50,000 to 75,000 km 11 4.03%
75,000 to 1,00,000 km 4 1.47%
1,00,000 km and above 7 2.56%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2016, 20:45   #1
BHPian

Best km range to drive a car?

Hello people.

I was going through the various ownership threads on the forum and all of them had two things in common. The "run-in" period and how owners hated it to the core!

This had me thinking about the best period to enjoy a car. I have voted for 30-50k kms, for the following reasons -

* The engine components bed in and can be used throughout the rev range
* The driver has understood the power/torque band by then
* The tyres are new and grip levels are high
* The body feels tight if the car is 4-5 year old and maintained well
* The user is well versed with the dimensions and footprint of the car
* There is no need to be overly cautious, as compared to driving a newer car

My Dzire is in the same phase and is enjoyable to drive than any of my other cars at this moment.

What about the best period for you then?
I have added a poll. Vote and share your reason for the same.

MODS - Move to Shifting Gears if not appropriate here.

Regards,
biggrin
biggrin is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 20:53   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Best km range to drive a car?

My vote would go for the 10-30k km interval. The reasons are pretty much same as above but I feel the first 10k kms are enough for a driver to get accustomed to the car, its highs and lows. The car has also had its run in and is usually free of rattles, still holding to its new car feeling with sublime ride quality, almost new suspension and tyres.
drmohitg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 21:12   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting thread. I voted for 10-30K (I think the number of years factor also comes in-Assuming a 2-4 year window for this). By this period you would have cleared initial niggles if any, got used to and comfortable with the car and are in a phase where regular wear and tear replacements like battery/tyres etc. are yet to kick in. Also, in my specific case, since I have a VW DSG car, once I cross 4 years or 40-50K km, I will be more worried about DSG issues and maintenance expenses.

Of course, if you end up with a niggly car or had to buy a car that was not your first choice, then I guess no period will be best to drive such a car. . Maybe there needs to be a Poll Choice-None of the above- I don't like my car.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 24th May 2016 at 21:16.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 21:50   #4
Team-BHP Support

I have had two cars which crossed the popular 10-30k kms milestones mentioned above, one was sold around the 97k kms mark and the other still running at the 120k kms mark.

Didn't see any major issues with the driving experience both these cars provided well above the 50k mark. It remained as enjoyable as it had ever been.

So, my humble opinion is that - with proper care, modern vehicles can remain enjoyable throughout the lifetime period of these vehicles.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 22:13   #5
BANNED

For me i think initial 1000 km's are enough to get accustomed to and run in properly. The best duration is 1K to 10K, where you get to enjoy the new car feel. Thereafter the feeling keeps on waning as the km's and time pile up. I hardly drive above 3000RPM but use my car 's momentum to extract maximum pleasure. Redlining is a strict no-no for me. I love my cars a lot hence i don't punish them by redlining. Hence for me, the newer the car, the more fun to drive it is. Voted for 1000 to 10,000.

Last edited by chaudh2s : 24th May 2016 at 22:14. Reason: added a line
chaudh2s is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 23:00   #6
BHPian

I voted for 10,000 to 30,000km, by this time most of the cars go through the first engine oil change/servicing, also by that time we know the car’s power/torque curve and behavior in multiple situation (eg. Overtaking, climbing inclined, hard braking, hitting a pothole, parking in tight spots etc.). My current drive (Elite i20) is at 20k kms which is in this phase of life now however my previous car (Alto) did 80k kms and I was confident driving till the last km driven – maintenance plays a major role post 50k kms.
IPathan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 23:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggrin View Post
This had me thinking about the best period to enjoy a car. I have voted for 30-50k kms, for the following reasons -

* The engine components bed in and can be used throughout the rev range
* The driver has understood the power/torque band by then
* The tyres are new and grip levels are high
* The body feels tight if the car is 4-5 year old and maintained well
* The user is well versed with the dimensions and footprint of the car
* There is no need to be overly cautious, as compared to driving a newer car
Driving/riding a brand new vehicle has always been a different sort of pleasure for me since I have this tradition of taking it on a roadtrip and that experience is sweet in its own way and allows you to quickly rake in the miles and fluctuate rpms easier on fast highway stretches.

Post that the older the car is the better for me My WagonR has clocked 1.6 lakh kilometers and my Kizashi has done 60k kms and driving them currently is really thrilling because as you spend more time with a car you are more in tune with its limits over varying surfaces, conditions and vectors. It has always been about the driving experience for me and this is why I believe so. The more I drive/ride, the more I develop a vivid understanding with it, the more we begin to fluently converse and the more confident I begin to feel driving it.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 24th May 2016 at 23:35.
IshaanIan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 13:23   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Best km range to drive a car?

Voted for the 30,000 - 50,000 km range (though, with proper maintenance, engines stay healthy for way past 1 lakh km too).

Engines feel the best once they have a couple of ten thousand kms on them. I only use synthetic oil in my cars and treat the engine well - low rpms in traffic, redlining when the road permits. No abusing, yet enjoying them on open roads. All the engines I've owned - whether diesel or petrol - felt their best once they crossed 30,000 - 40,000 kms. The diesel of my C220 & Vtec of my City felt noticeably revv-happier than other specimens I drove.

Also, at 30,000 - 40,000 kms, you would have swapped the OEM tyres to better rubber, hopefully done some light mods and have understood the car inside out.

Superb thread idea! Thanks for sharing.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 13:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

Considering the fact that i would drive anything and everything with so much fun over the last 1L kms in different cars i would simply say manual transmission gave the maximum enjoyment irrespective of the kms on it.

I hate driving that manual alto once it got over even 15K kms. Same with a diesel swift post that 50K point. On the Jetta 50K seems like brand new and the car still drives with so much intent even when fully loaded.
Quote:
Also, at 30,000 - 40,000 kms, you would have swapped the OEM tyres to better rubber, hopefully done some light mods and have understood the car inside out.
Would only add that years of ownership in combination with kms driven will give a better view of this question . After 3 years is mostly when the car is out of warranty and it doesnt matter what you do and where you do modifications which makes it an ideal period if you decided to keep a car over 3 years.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 14:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

If you are just talking of the Driving experience alone I would say above 30K is my choice.
But if you are talking about the who car owning experience included then I would say 10-30K. Because once you pass 30K even with high grade of maintenance, you will start seeing your regular service bill shoot up, and many parts getting replaced. Though you know its a good thing for the car, it still keeps your mind running.
So bottomline, voted 10-30K for the peace of mind statement.
xingamazon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 14:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the 30k-50k range, as ownership is at least 2.5 years+. Thereby providing enough time for the single owner/driver (who spends more money on it than his better half), to actually drive it like a Tiff Needell would - i.e. almost as one moves one's hands and legs.

That's when the car/truck/whatever would really come alive. Note this does not apply to totally electric engines! My understanding is, they don't "age" as gracefully as their elder counterparts.
Old 25th May 2016, 22:23   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
If you are just talking of the Driving experience alone I would say above 30K is my choice.
But if you are talking about the who car owning experience included then I would say 10-30K.
Sorry if I was not clear in the opening post. I meant "Driving Experience" only.
Old 25th May 2016, 22:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

Great thread, For me its 10,000 to 30,000 kms, Only because i have a very bad habit of getting bored of my car's after driving them for than 25,000 to 30,000 kms, Talking about my secondary car only, The same happened with my current VW Jetta, Even after all the mods i have done, I will probably sell it once it crosses 30,000 kms mark (Currently at 26k) This is only for the secondary car though, A car which i drive on the weekend or me plus 1, Or joy rides on the highway and city in the midnight.

If it would have been a primary car, Which for me is the XUV 500 currently, I would like driving it till 70,000 to 80,000 kms, Have always noticed maintaining the car properly and after crossing 30,000 to 40,000 kms the car is the smoothest, Delivers the best fuel economy and drives like a dream.
Old 25th May 2016, 22:37   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
The same happened with my current VW Jetta, Even after all the mods i have done, I will probably sell it once it crosses 30,000 kms mark (Currently at 26k)
I actually went and checked your location (In app you need to go to profile to see location) and too bad you are from Bangalore.

30k kms is still infancy for that car, and whoever gets his hand on one would be lucky. It would remain a dream to drive atleast for another 20 - 30k kms for sure.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 22:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I actually went and checked your location (In app you need to go to profile to see location) and too bad you are from Bangalore.
I think you meant, "Not from Bangalore", I am from Mumbai.

Quote:
30k kms is still infancy for that car, and whoever gets his hand on one would be lucky. It would remain a dream to drive atleast for another 20 - 30k kms for sure.
Yeah totally agreed, Have also noticed there are more buyers for car's which has less than 20,000 - 30,000 kms on ODO, The same happened when i had a Polo 1.2 Highline, I got bored after driving it for the first 5000 kms only, All the 5k kms was driven keeping the run in period of the car, The buyer was very happy.

Just the other day i met a friend who saw my car for the first time and he said, "Did you take the delivery few days back? You should have called me while taking the delivery i would have loved to be there". He couldn't believe the car was almost 20 months old now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks