Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2006, 19:12   #1
BHPian

Door Handles Being Painted Query ?

Hi,

I am getting the Door Handles and Mirrors of My XETA painted to the Body Colour Artic Silver, However the Works manager has advised me against it saying that the paint does not last long..! Just wanted advice on how practical it is..! I can understand that the Paint might scratch out of the Driver side Mirror just incase something brushes against. But has anyone got their handles painted and how has the finish lasted.

Their are some Tar spot on the underside of both the Bumpers, Since I could not find any Goowasher or something that was being discussed, Is it safe to use Diesal, Paint finish would be affected or not.
Old 30th September 2006, 19:26   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Dont see a problem with the painting. Had converted my DLE to a DLS [before Tata had a DLS variant], and never saw any traces of what this works manager has said.

Even if the paint gets scratched, the area to be repainted is pretty small to cost you much.
Old 30th September 2006, 19:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

No issues... get them painted.
DIESEL as i have quoted on another thread will remove the TAR stains also.. i had used this on my esteem to remove ugly the tar marks..
Old 30th September 2006, 19:31   #4
BHPian

so how many coats did they do, 1 or 2 before the clear was applied, As far as I'm aware, for good paintwork on plastic a primer coat has to applied, But the works manager din't mention any of this since he was trying to dissuade it in the first place...! Thanks condor, I think I will go ahead with it...Any suggestion guys.
Old 30th September 2006, 19:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Get them painted...

Work manager isn't interested i guess bcos it isn't a major job or the Body shop must be overloaded at the moment...N ya a primer coat is necessary or the paint will start peeling off after sometime....

Use diesel to remove tar spots wont cause any prob to the paint
Old 3rd October 2006, 00:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

if what the W.M is saying is right, then why does the company bring out cars with body coloured bumpers & door handles & R.V. Mirrors for their premium models ? please go ahead & get them done. i am also doing the same for my car.
Old 3rd October 2006, 02:48   #7
elf
BANNED

@wolfinstein: Ignore the moronic Works Manager. He works for Tata, so don't expect any knowlege or experience outta those nincompoops.

You can go ahead with the painting of the RVMs & the door handles provided you get a coat or two of red oxide surface primer (also known as 'laal astar' in the garage lingo). The painted surfaces shouldn't chip under ordinary circumstances, & the red oxide primer forms a great bond between your surface (in this case, plastic), & your paint.

You can also use diesel to remove tar marks - all service stations use it during the service, & garages do it during a wax/polish job.

Last edited by elf : 3rd October 2006 at 02:51.
Old 5th October 2006, 13:51   #8
BHPian

I (my car, I coz I was driving) brushed past a bus , and my handles became white!!!!!!!!!!!!

When i took my car to the garage, the guy painted the handles. It looks decent, cant make out from a distance that they are painted.. and in the last 5 months atleast, they have not faded or chipped.

Cheers
Ajay
Old 25th February 2007, 14:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

Since the swift VXI does not come with Body colour ORVM/door handles Iv requested for the same.

I assumed they would just replace the existing ones with a new coloured set but yeah Manager says he will get them painted (Approx 2.5k for 2 ORVM & Handles). Left me wondering if it will be a good job or not.

Guess I need to ask for the painting to be done prior to registration and inspect it. How to check for the primer? Is it the same as 'lacquering' ?
Old 26th February 2007, 01:14   #10
elf
BANNED

No s0uljah. Primer & laquer are two ends of the painting process.

Primer is applied to 'prime' or prepare the surface. It forms a bond between the paint (or putty/'lambi' in case of metal) & the surface being painted.

Once the primer is dry, paint is applied & when that dries, one can spray laquer to finish the paint & further prevent microscopic pores.

Secondly, I doubt that your dealer will paint the parts before registration, as there is a possibility that you might decline your acceptance of the car if you're not satisfied with their job.

Technically, you need to buy the car first & then get whatever modifications from stock that you desire.
Old 26th February 2007, 18:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for jogging my memory elfy, now I remember the coats of primer that IV seen used.

Oh yeah about registration that should have read delivery.

Catch them doing absolutely anything for me without the moolah in the bank and the loan sanction.
Old 26th February 2007, 19:13   #12
BHPian

wolfinstein,

"works manager" is a designation, there is surely nothing technical about him. just a marketing guy in disguise to save his company's face.

go on with it... primer, paint, clear-coat et al.

You will never regret as long as you get the right match to the body's current weathered shade.

Last edited by gbpscars : 26th February 2007 at 19:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks