Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2006, 23:19   #1
BHPian

Shock Absorbers Leakage

I took my Accent to Hyundai Motor Plaza in Delhi, since I had heard a lot of good stuff about them, and after a thorough servicing, one of the things they came up with was that there was a leakage in the rear suspension.

Now, I have been hearing a kind of "cheen-cheen-cheen" kind of noise for around the rear tyres (a noise like when your brake pad is totally worn out and metal is rubbing against metal). Usually, this noise only starts after 10-15 minutes of driving, and then goes on almost continuously regardless of speed, and whether the road is smooth or bumpy. A friend of mine remarked that driving on the same road was much bumpier in my car than his (Baleno)... so he thought something might be up with the suspension too.

This noise according to the Hyundai engineer is because of this alleged leakage in the suspension. He said that if I wanted them to repair it, they would have to replace the whole suspension (around Rs. 5000-6000), otherwise I could try in the 'local' market since they could probably refill the gas and repair it at a lower cost.

My Question is: Does this sound like a reasonable diagnosis, or could the problem be something relatively less serious? If it sounds probable, then does anyone know whether 'local' market repairs would be feasible (and advisable), and if so at what cost.
Old 3rd October 2006, 03:57   #2
elf
BANNED

If there is a 'leakage in your suspension', it would be from the shock absorbers, which should logically then be replaced.

I can't think of one reason why you'd need to replace the entire suspension...
Old 3rd October 2006, 07:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Please inspect for visible signs of oil leakage on the shock/strut.

Leaky struts also do not cause noise. seems like a brake problem
Old 3rd October 2006, 15:32   #4
BHPian

How old is your Accent and how many Kms has it done?

Struts / shocks can wear out without any external signs of oil leakage etc. My Esteem rear shocks were ok till about 70Kkm and had to be relplaced by around 80Kkm... I'm told that I should be happy they lasted that long! They did not have any external signs of wear or leakage, but once they were removed and tested, it was pretty obvious that they had failed.

Typically struts / shocks need to be replaced every 50Kkm.

- T u r b o C -
Old 3rd October 2006, 17:10   #5
BHPian

sorry, I did mean Shock Absorbers rather than the whole suspension.

My accent is around 5 years old, with about 58000 kms.

There doesn't seem to be any visible sign of oil leakage. And the leakage the engineer claimed was of gas, so doubt I can detect that anyway.
Old 4th October 2006, 00:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

did he say gas ? does the accent come fitted with gas shocks ?
Old 4th October 2006, 01:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

check if its a wheel bearing fault.
I've experienced this in an Accent CRDi.
Old 4th October 2006, 09:12   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
did he say gas ? does the accent come fitted with gas shocks ?
Hi,

Yes the accents, getz and elantra all come with gas shocks. Am not aware of the other models hence am not commenting.

Viper
Old 8th October 2006, 23:36   #9
BHPian

ok, I was unclear about this gas question too... so it's a valid diagnosis then?

nitrous, how can I check whether it is a wheel bearing fault?

The sound has somehow gone down in the last few days on it's own...

and anyone, can a local mechanic type shop fix the problem (refill the gas I assume?)? If so, how much would that cost?
Old 18th October 2006, 00:23   #10
BHPian

hmmm. went to one of the Hyundai authorized service centres at a petrol pump, and after a test drive (related to some other matter) the guy said that the suspension had seemed alright to him, and all he had noticed was the sound that the 'bearings' of the shock absorber were making... but he said I shoudl drive it for another 5-6 months without any worries.

Help!
Old 18th October 2006, 08:41   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal
hmmm. went to one of the Hyundai authorized service centres at a petrol pump, and after a test drive (related to some other matter) the guy said that the suspension had seemed alright to him, and all he had noticed was the sound that the 'bearings' of the shock absorber were making... but he said I shoudl drive it for another 5-6 months without any worries.

Help!
Hi,

Shocks do not have bearings. Either you have misunderstood or he has used a wrong terminology.

Viper
Old 30th December 2007, 15:16   #12
BANNED

I have had problems with the rear dampers (what many people call shocks) on my Accent. I had the LH one go in about 20,000km (2-1/2 year) which was changed by the Hyundai dealership. Again after another 10,000 or so km I again had noise typical of dampers, and tramping from the rear. This time I got a pair of dampers from the market (I am sure they were genuine). When we took the old ones off they were both gone. I replaced the pair and after 8,000km or so the problem is back.

What do I do -surely changing dampers every 8000-10000 km is not the answer. My earlier Esteem needed a change only after 50,000km!
Old 14th October 2008, 19:46   #13
BHPian

Hyundai Accent Shockers replacement

Any alternatives to replacing from OEM shockers which the company replaces @ 5k a pair for front and 6k a pair for rear shockers. Tht's very steep considering the fact that they are manufactured in India @ Chennai by Mando India who sadly does only OEM supplies. So advice pls gentleman. Incidentally Mando are available @ Rs 950- Rs 1100 a piece in themarket but these are the taiwanese make!!... so pls help.. Also need advice on front wheel bearings.

Shocks do not have bearings. Either you have misunderstood or he has used a wrong terminology.

Viper[/quote]
Old 22nd March 2010, 17:24   #14

This might be a good thread to contain all Accent related shock absorber questions.
My Accent Viva (2002) has done around 80000 kms and it appears that all 4 shox are gone. The garage claims that it will cost around 20k to replace the 4 of them. I am not very knowledgable about shock absorbers. So here are some related questions:

1. i agree that the shox have gone. tried the bouncing technique and cant see any damping action. So how dangerous is it to drive with screwed dampers?
2. Is 20k a reasonable rate for 4 shock absorbers? would this be OEM or after market? which brands are good? is the grey market fine for this component?
3. Should any other components of the suspension be checked for damage? I have been driving with nuked shocks for the past 2 months on fairly shady roads.

any inputs highly appreciated.
thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks