Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2016, 11:04   #1
BHPian

After-market hybrid system from Altigreen, Bangalore

A solution to all your low fuel efficiency woes.

"Altigreen Propulsion Labs, a Bengaluru-based technology startup with Chetan Maini of Reva on its board, is currently putting together an aftermarket hybrid system that could improve the fuel economy of your car by more than 20 percent. While the final product isn’t fully ready and tests are still going on, the product named HyPixi, should be in the market in coming months. The aftermarket kit comprises a 5kW motor generator, a 48V battery pack and an ECU or hybrid controller. The system that will cost in the region of Rs 60,000 will be installed by the company on your car by removing the alternator and it will place a 55kg battery pack in the boot too."

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ve-402506.aspx
bullrun87 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 11:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: After-market hybrid system from Altigreen, Bangalore

This is great news. Any idea about whether this will work for both diesel and petrol?

Last edited by SDP : 7th July 2017 at 21:38. Reason: typo
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 14:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: After-market hybrid system from Altigreen, Bangalore

It is a great system IF it works properly.
The issue in retrofitting is not really the performance but the reliability of the vehicle.

In other news, it is quite surprising that there is no news about this on the internet, expect the news articles published around the same time. These guys have not even made a mention of this in blog/report/article.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 12:14   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: After-market hybrid system from Altigreen, Bangalore

Such a product will be dead on arrival. There's no market for it. Instead, what the company should try doing is supplying it as an OEM to manufacturers, but then, manufacturers will squeeze them on the price.

No one is going to install it in the initial couple of years as it'll void the warranty. Effectively, Altigreen is targeting cars that are 4 - 5 years old.

Would anyone spend Rs. 60,000 on an old car, for a system that'll improve fuel economy by 1 - 2 km/l? I don't think so. First, there's the cost. Then, there's the challenge of reliability (product as well as installation).

How much is the replacement cost of a battery pack once it wears out? Surely won't be cheap.

That 55 kilo battery pack will eat up your boot space too.

Hybrids have a big future in India, but only when they're proper hybrids (the Toyota kind) and installed at the factory.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 17:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

How practical is this product in terms of mileage improvement. A lot of F1 teams do not have a KERS system because the trade off of extra weight means the slower lap times compensated for the extra power boost. I would have to say the same applies here. The additional weight will reduce mileage but the system will improve mileage. Does it truly work on a smaller, lighter car. I doubt the overall efficacy of systems like this whether it is OEM or after market
Old 6th July 2017, 13:56   #6

Hi Any BHPian who has tested or installed this.

I had been to this company yesterday and they told me that the kits are now ARAI certified and fitted in several cars. Apparently, the kits are now available for Dzire, Indigo, Etios and Tata ACE. I have seen Innova, APE, Bolt and some other cars in their Whitefield R&D center. They claim that the kit gives 26% of fuel efficiency with Lead Acid batteries like mentioned in the observation below. In future they are going to go with Ultra Capicitors.

The Dzire Kit is 68,000 with 2 years on Road warranty and 36months warranty on Battery. They made some calculations and told me that since it reduces Rs. 1 per km, it pays back in 60,000KM. I was more keen to understand the impact on pollution. Each Litre of fuel we use generates 2.5Kg of CO2. If there is anyone who has fitted in Dzire or Etios and can share the feedback, it would be of great help. My particular interest is reducing pollution than passing the buck on the fuel. Even CNG/LPG will pollute.

Please Share views and opinions.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th July 2017 at 21:20. Reason: Please club your sentences into paragraphs for better readability. Thank you.
socradamus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 18:45   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by socradamus View Post
Hi Any BHPian who has tested or installed this.

I had been to this company yesterday and they told me that the kits are now ARAI certified and fitted in several cars. Apparently, the kits are now available for Dzire, Indigo, Etios and Tata ACE. I have seen Innova, APE, Bolt and some other cars in their Whitefield R&D center. They claim that the kit gives 26% of fuel efficiency with Lead Acid batteries like mentioned in the observation below. In future they are going to go with Ultra Capicitors.

The Dzire Kit is 68,000 with 2 years on Road warranty and 36months warranty on Battery. They made some calculations and told me that since it reduces Rs. 1 per km, it pays back in 60,000KM. I was more keen to understand the impact on pollution. Each Litre of fuel we use generates 2.5Kg of CO2. If there is anyone who has fitted in Dzire or Etios and can share the feedback, it would be of great help. My particular interest is reducing pollution than passing the buck on the fuel. Even CNG/LPG will pollute.

Please Share views and opinions.
I look at this with a pinch of salt. 26% with lead acid batteries seems very optimistic. My understanding is that this may be achieved in controlled conditions. Also, without optimizing the engine operating points it wouldn't be simple to achieve this. But, retrofitting as a solution is definitely required in a country like ours where there are lot of older vehicles running

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th July 2017 at 21:21. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Old 7th July 2017, 07:55   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I came across this company profile when they were building early prototypes in the context of investment. They have good tech guys (two foreigners with solid and relevant experience) and an OK local leadership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Such a product will be dead on arrival. There's no market for it. Instead, what the company should try doing is supplying it as an OEM to manufacturers, but then, manufacturers will squeeze them on the price.
They are betting on fleet operators initially as can be seen by the choice of cars in the below list. But still it is a tough market and that was my take at that time.

Quote:
Apparently, the kits are now available for Dzire, Indigo, Etios and Tata ACE.
Retail market is very difficult as no one wants to pay upfront for all the valid reasons listed in this post.

In my honest opinion, only environmentally conscious people would buy this sort of thing which is a serious minority (most of whom can afford Camry) in our country. The cost benefit analysis of this product won't be that convincing.
Old 10th July 2017, 13:10   #9

Have to agree with you. The way I see it as if I am traveling 25,000 KM in a year. The payback should be less than 2 years. Which is not bad. But the assumption is I am saving Rs. 1 per km. But somehow I am not getting much details on this. I want to do something to impact the environment but I know CNG and LPG are not the answer.

KERS is a good technology if available at right price. If anyone has installed it, do let me know.

Sunil

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th July 2017 at 21:21. Reason: Please club your sentences into paragraphs for better readability. Thank you.
Old 27th July 2017, 13:34   #10
Team-BHP Support

They came to our office today.

ARAI are certifying this. ARAI need to certify each vehicle this goes into and RTO also needs to certify so expect a lot of upfront costs.

Alternator is removed and a regenerative motor is installed. The installation was in an Indigo, mounted at the bottom of the engine

After-market hybrid system from Altigreen, Bangalore-motor.jpg

Currently available for Swift Dzire, Tata Indigo, Tata Ace, Toyota Etios

Prototype Dzire has run 80000 km. This Indigo was a Carzonrent taxi. A lot of Tata Ace prototypes are running as well as 4-5 in Indian Air Force cars in Deli

Batteries stored in the boot but take up space. Electronics are underneath.

After-market hybrid system from Altigreen, Bangalore-battery.jpg

Estimated cost is just under a lakh for what is a 25% saving or Rs 1-2 saving /KM. I questioned the rate of return. Response was, you get your money in 6 years. No everyone keeps their cars for so long.

This is more suitable for taxi operations or delivery / fleet segment.

Not for me but I wish them well!

Last edited by GTO : 28th July 2017 at 09:36. Reason: Typos fixed.
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2017, 09:22   #11

They came to our office last month [hope it is not the same office Ajmat is talking about[.

I got it fitted in my Dzire and its been about 2-3 weeks.

My logic was not so much about ROI but wanted to do my bit for the environment. But the kit totally costed me 68K. I shall send some pictures in a bit.

I had a lot of internal debate on ROI logic. But as a IT professional we tend to do a lot of company sponsored events for environment. I thought I should do if I can truly make a one on one difference. If the kit was 10.68lacs, I wouldnt have blinked. I am sure the prices will come down and govt will give subsidies.

Now that I am a preacher! I can say that each km we drive generates 180gms of Co2, my system reduces this by 20%. In 5 years i plan an equivalent of 2 acres. That move me to buy.
socradamus is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th July 2017, 10:22   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They came to our office last month [hope it is not the same office Ajmat is talking about[.

I got it fitted in my Dzire and its been about 2-3 weeks.

My logic was not so much about ROI but wanted to do my bit for the environment. But the kit totally costed me 68K. I shall send some pictures in a bit.

I had a lot of internal debate on ROI logic. But as a IT professional we tend to do a lot of company sponsored events for environment. I thought I should do if I can truly make a one on one difference. If the kit was 10.68lacs, I wouldnt have blinked. I am sure the prices will come down and govt will give subsidies.

Now that I am a preacher! I can say that each km we drive generates 180gms of Co2, my system reduces this by 20%. In 5 years i plan an equivalent of 2 acres. That move me to buy.
Kudos - I really appreciate that you put your money where your heart was, as opposed to most other folks. I salute your conviction.

My only doubt is - are the batteries safe in the event of a rear ending?
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2017, 10:27   #13

Thanks a lot.

The batteries are deep inside the boot almost behind the rear seat. So the rear-ending wont be an issue. I am able to easily remove spare tyre.

I went to their office and saw the test reports on batteries.

The RTO endorsement took time but the Mahindra First choice garage where I got the fitment helped with that. I got the endorsed RC book just this week.
Old 30th July 2017, 21:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

^^^
RTO endorsement: Does this mean if one removes it, a new endorsement is necessary?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 7th August 2017, 09:43   #15

In reality, there is no need of RTO endorsement. It is useful if you want to sell it and when the buyer knows that what you have put is a ARAI certified kit and RTO endorsed vehicle.

If the idea is to use the kit and remove it when you sell to put it in your new car, then technically you dont need a RTO endorsement.

This is what I have understood from RTO endorsements of CNG/LPG kits and these kits.
socradamus is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed