Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2006, 15:17   #1
BHPian

Diesel leakage in my car!

Last evening I found out that the diesel was leaking from under the front-bumper, in my new Indigo LX.The fuel leaked(trickled) rapidly when the engine was on.Today morning when the Manipal Motors 24/7 helpline guy checked it out he found a fuel T socked(thats what it's called I think) cracked. The mechanic said that it has happened in a lot of vehicles(not just in tata vehicles).It seems the pipe was too near to the radiator grill and because of the heat, it got cracked.
How serious is this problem?Did this happen to anyone of you?
The problem is solved now, but I am gonna get the whole T socket thing replaced(just in case).HOw can this happen when I got the vehicle just 4 days ago??
Old 5th October 2006, 15:33   #2
Team-BHP Support

This is one of those "Design problems".
It was there in the indigo Petrols around their launch. Tata fixed the problem as a part of theur customer R&D, but my friend as a result could not get the spare part, as newer indigo's had a different design. Calls to tata regional office accompanied by abuses solved his problem.
Get the replacement as soon as you can, because if it is a common problem it will be fixed soon and then there is a good chance of the spare part not being available.

Also my guess is that this problem is in newer indigo's with Intercooler, because having extensively seen three old gen indigo TDs never have this problem.
Old 5th October 2006, 15:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Looks like your fuel delivery pipe to the FIP got cracked. Not a big issue. You can claim it under warranty. It is quite possible that a certain batch of the plumbing turned out to be defective.

Just in case, after you replace it, ask the mechanic to insulate the joint (accompanied by a threaded nut), with tape and hitlon. You wouldn't want this to happen again, god forbid on a long drive.
Old 19th May 2012, 21:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

re: Diesel leakage in my car!

I think I'm having this exact same problem in my 5 year old indica. At first when the pump attendant said my car smelt of diesel, I didnt think too much of it. But when I reached home the smell was rather noticeable. I opened the hood and found diesel splashed all over the radiator and towards the front of the engine. When i started the engine I saw diesel squirting from what looked like a T joint - the joint itself seems to be fine but the pipe seems to be cracked at the joint. (thankfully the engine seems to be running fine)

I'm a bit worried though. Should I drive to a nearby tasc and ask them to do it as a running repair, or can I drive it 15Km or so to my regular workshop?
Old 20th May 2012, 11:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

here's a snap of the offending part. I do have 24x7 coverage. I'm not sure how much they will charge though. Diesel leakage in my car!-img_20120520_0929381.jpg
Old 20th May 2012, 12:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
here's a snap of the offending part. I do have 24x7 coverage. I'm not sure how much they will charge though. Attachment 929354
The fuel hose is torn. I wouldn't risk it driving 15km. All three fuel pipes are torn, but the one on the left of the T looks like its almost ready to burst!
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 16:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Called up the nearer TASC, and told them what the issue was. one of their mechs came over with a set of replacement tubing and changed the three of them. Damage 540 Rs.
Old 22nd May 2012, 11:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

Very common problem.. scary though. I had a chance to encounter this recently. Got the entre set of tubes replaced and the problem vanished. Take care to wash the vehicle properly as the diesel would be spelled all over. If not done, smoke would appear as soon as the car gets hot.
Old 4th July 2017, 14:28   #9
BHPian

VW Jetta: Diesel leaks from near the engine when trying to start

Hi Guys,

My 2013 VW Jetta is not starting. when i turn the ignition key, the diesel leaks from somewhere close to engine.
Some 15 days back it gave me a catalytic converter error so we just brought it back home and it was just parked. Now i had time to take it to workshop so cranked it up in the morning. It did not start but leaked diesel with low oil pressure warning.

Is it possible to get it checked/fixed by a mechanic at home? Or do i need to do the ritual of towing it to VW service centre. I guess the problems started only after the last service and firmware upgrade by Apple Auto in Whitefield.

Does anyone know a trustworthy service shop in North Bangalore?

- Not a regular here but whenever my back is on fire, first thing i do is search Team-BHP.

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th July 2017 at 17:58. Reason: Post edited. Please use proper capitalization after punctuation marks.
Old 4th July 2017, 14:34   #10
BHPian

re: VW Jetta: Diesel leaks from near the engine when trying to start

Please do not drive the vehicle or try to start it. The best way to fix this would be to get this to VW or a trustworthy FNG. Here's what I found from Google

Youtube video

A link about this problem - another forum

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=326287

The majority of the comments are about leak from the injectors.

Please check if it's part of a recall, take the proof necessary and then confront VW to do the work for you. Otherwise, they'll blankly deny that this is their problem and you'll end up paying for it.
Mad Max is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2017, 14:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

re: VW Jetta: Diesel leaks from near the engine when trying to start

Quote:
i guess the problems started only after the last service and firmware upgrade by apple auto in whitefield.
Absolutely nothing to do with software upgrades. This looks like a hardware issue. Tow it to VW through your insurance company and get it checked and fixed.

Could be a recall issue and please carry all print outs of these recalls and shove it in the SA head so he goes preoccupied with this recall than simply reject any vw fault later.

I like to pollute the SA mind with these information even before the car is checked into the service lane.
VW2010 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 11:06   #12
BHPian

Re: VW Jetta: Diesel leaks from near the engine when trying to start

Thanks Folks

a mechanic from pitstop is coming to see the vehicle. i dont have great hopes but lets see what he says.
Old 5th July 2017, 19:05   #13
BHPian

so this is is what is broken. looks like part of throttle control; but i can be very wrong.

and the top view. the top view of the broken part
Attached Thumbnails
Diesel leakage in my car!-20170705_124135.jpg  

Diesel leakage in my car!-20170705_124029.jpg  

Diesel leakage in my car!-20170705_122308-1.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th July 2017 at 09:02. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit the previous post within the 30 minute window to add more contents to it. Thanks!
Old 5th July 2017, 19:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Re: Diesel leakage in my car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulv View Post
so this is is what is broken. looks like part of throttle control; but i can be very wrong.
That looks like high pressure fuel pump piston. The cracked piece looks like pump head.

Is it under warranty?
Old 5th July 2017, 20:06   #15
BHPian

Re: Diesel leakage in my car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
The cracked piece looks like pump head.

Is it under warranty?
naah. 4 years and 1Lakh km old.

thanks a lot. this should help me in my search.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks