Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2006, 17:06   #1
DRC
BHPian

OOty effect..Victim of bad fuel.. Advice needed

The team-bhp meet at Ooty was great but for a few of these incedents

Hit a speed breaker when I was doing 130kmph, I thought the car almost broke, but surprisingly not damage at all, checked the tyre and the rims they are all OK,

As JK mentioned, going down hilltoo many times took the toll og the break pads. need to be replaced,

But the worrysome issue is that I had to refuel in Ooty. I chose a jazzy station to do so, hoping the fuel will be good, but not really so. Soon after refuel I noticed the drop in response. McL attributed that to the thin air in high altitude. Later when going back, I noticed black soot deposits on the bumper near the exhaust at Bandipur. I did a blotting paper test and found the presence of soot in exhaust.

I am worried now. Is the cat con gone bling . What should I do now, How do I know if it is gone bling? Should I drain the remaining fuel (I still have half a tank) and fill in fresh? What all needs to be done to restore the damage done?
Old 5th October 2006, 19:13   #2
BHPian

good that u did not get to see the "Check Engine" light. an unplanned detour during my recent trip to Pratapgad, Maharashtra and no extra stock of good fuel, forced me to refill at a highway IOC on Mumbai-Goa highway. the guy there said XtraPremium was out-of-stock. so I filled in the 'sada'.

now I have this "Check Engine" light coming up and I doubt that the fuel filter is clogged. no time to check yet. am cabbing to office since 3 days now.

will have to catch up during the weekend.
Old 6th October 2006, 13:00   #3
DRC
BHPian

Hope the damage is not worse.
Back in Bangalore, the performance is not that bad, May be MCL thin air theory was true, but no relief from soot

Gurus please help me understand the problem, damage.
Old 8th October 2006, 21:29   #4
DRC
BHPian

Nobody had a look here? Please, I need your help
Old 9th October 2006, 00:00   #5
BHPian

i dont know very well how much octane level is suggested by manufacturers for cars (as mine is carb version)
but in case of zx6 bike it clearly mentions on tank not to fill less than 95 Octane or there could be "Severe Engine Damage"

i believe it could be the carbon deposit build up.

suggest u dont wait much and get the fuel left in tank drained and also get all fuel lines cleaned if you get Redline cleaner to a tank full of new clean fuel should help.

also when u suspect something has changed like soot build up etc dont take it casually as in ur car if the Catcon goes for a six u will have quite a big amount to spend. so get it flushed.

Last edited by 2fast4u : 9th October 2006 at 00:08.
Old 9th October 2006, 01:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

Mr.DRC, pls let us know what car u're driving.
Old 9th October 2006, 11:15   #7
DRC
BHPian

OK I got the fuel flushed. I was in deed scared.

My car seems to be back to normal with Shell Super, Now what I am wondering is, Should I need to fix someting before it actually breaks?
Old 9th October 2006, 11:40   #8
Team-BHP Support

If it aint broken, dont fix it.
Since your car is working normally be happy that a big hole was not burnt in your pocket.
At the most you can give it for an engine flush treatment thing. Make sure you are there when it happens. Many times they say they have done it but dont follow the proper procedure.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks