Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2006, 18:42   #1

Recently I was driving through the National highway at night.When I approch some trucks and had my headlights flash, some drivers put on their Right indicator. Initially i thought they are going to turn. But after some time i realize that it is some sort of signal to overtake them. My question is Isn't stupid to put Right indicator for signalling overtaking ? How will one recognise it from turn right signal ?

I got it utter confused in my 5 hours journey during the night since some puts left indicators and some right for overtaking them..

I have a question. Is this right indicator overtaking signal is legal ? Or is it some dump truck drivers who does so ?
Old 5th October 2006, 20:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Don't know much about the practice in South; but yes, in North & West it is a prevalent practice to veer slightly to left and then switch on the right indicator allowing to overtake. Now, this is practised only during the night time since the hand signal is not visible. During daytime, I've noticed people giving pass to overttake with hand. Though not prescribed in the driving manual (which is outdated and still asks one to use hands to signal), it has now become an established practice here.

Coming to your second query about how to know if the guy ahead is giving pass or wanting to turn right, you have to use your judgement and intuition to decipher the same...:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince1a
Recently I was driving through the National highway at night.When I approch some trucks and had my headlights flash, some drivers put on their Right indicator. Initially i thought they are going to turn. But after some time i realize that it is some sort of signal to overtake them. My question is Isn't stupid to put Right indicator for signalling overtaking ? How will one recognise it from turn right signal ?

I got it utter confused in my 5 hours journey during the night since some puts left indicators and some right for overtaking them..

I have a question. Is this right indicator overtaking signal is legal ? Or is it some dump truck drivers who does so ?
Old 5th October 2006, 21:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

yup hes right giving the right indicator means ok you may pass..its safe...you will know tht it is a overtakin guesture as the speed at which the trucker travels will be constant...i mean u flash ur lights he puts his indicator on...tht means u pass....
Old 5th October 2006, 21:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

it is to overtake because i remember when I went with my younger brother for his driving license , the ARTO did make a mention of this.
As in using indicators to signal to overtake and also have seen this a common practice on my drive back from Cochin to Bangalore.
Old 5th October 2006, 21:38   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

guys, pls search before you post. Subject has been discussed:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ic-signal.html
Old 7th October 2006, 04:36   #6
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Condor,

Thread closed.
Please continue the discussion in the link provided in the earlier post.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks