Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2016, 11:47   #1
BHPian

Creta's steering rattle - Now solved by Hyundai dealer

Nanook : Second Service and Steering Repair

I think I am a tad bit unlucky as to the one facing all known problems with the Creta Steering. May be a new thread can be started on all issues in Creta Steering.

Sometime back, 19th Mar 2016 to be precise, post number 814 in this thread, I had reported the Thak sound issue in the steering and had got it rectified. The work done in rectification, the ordeal and the subsequent response can be read at post links below :-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...review-55.html #819
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...review-56.html #832

Come holidays and from 13th to 15th Aug 2016, took my Nanook on a long drive to Bhubaneswar through forest ranges. Was an enjoyable trip of 1150 kms. Nanook completed 10000 kms between Bargarh and Sambalpur and took a snap at 10000 Kms at 100 KMPH, just for fun. No,No,No. I did not click it. I was driving with all eyes on the road.

Creta's steering rattle - Now solved by Hyundai dealer-img_9487.jpg

However on the way back, started hearing some rattling sound from the steering whenever the right wheel went over undulation/rough patches. Since 10000 kms were completed and the steering was making vague rattling sounds, decided to get both these things done immediately. Now I have mentioned earlier also that I have to drive around 110 kms (one way) to get to the service centre. No problems, anything for my steed. Generally the service Centres in Raipur are closed on Sundays, but to my luck because of too many festival holidays this month, most were open on 21st Aug. Had a choice, but chose Shivnath Hyundai because of the reason that they all knew me because of my last complaint to Hyundai and I would hopefully be properly attended to.

Sunday 21st Aug reached Service Centre at 0925 hrs. Second in the queue.

Creta's steering rattle - Now solved by Hyundai dealer-20160821_093109.jpg

Attended to by a person at 0945 hrs who inspected the vehicle. Tasks listed were as under :-

• Second Service.
• Wheel alignment and Balancing.
• Tire rotation.
• Steering noise.
• Poor Brakes.
• AVN Software upgrade.
• Under body check.

Packed of my lady and daughter in an OLA for shopping and self went straight to where Nanook was being attended to.

Creta's steering rattle - Now solved by Hyundai dealer-20160821_100912.jpg

BY 1000 hrs the mechanics were there and Mr Gopal Sahu was detailed for my vehicle. The first impression was not good. All were wearing safety shoes and he seemed to be casual with Chappals. That is no indicator of his competency so just let it go. Chappals and on mobile. Not very professional.

Creta's steering rattle - Now solved by Hyundai dealer-20160821_101603.jpg
Creta's steering rattle - Now solved by Hyundai dealer-20160821_102706.jpg

Immediately came the first sore point. The helper was opening the tire bolts and the mechanic was removing the tires and marking them for balancing and rotation. He found that left rear was not coming out by bare hands and started hitting the tire from inside with a crow bar. After two hits, since I was standing 10 ft away, I rushed to see and to my horror found one bolt still fully tightened and the bugger hitting the tire with a crow bar. WAS LIVID.

In the meantime Mr Deepak who is the service manager in-charge for the service centre reached and came to meet me and assured he will personally ensure my vehicle is done up properly. Saw my job card and started instructing all as to how to go about.

Air filter opened and found dirty and recommended to be changed and I agreed. AC Filter opened, found very dirty and recommended to be changed. I agree but am told they have no AC Filter in stock. So cleaned it with air pressure and fitted it back. Mr Deepak later told me that he checked with his other workshop and other dealers too. No one had AC Filter of Creta in stock. Hyundai needs to ensure spares availability. He assured that during a camp next to my location it will be sent and changed in the near future. Oil drained and Synthetic oil filled. In the meantime the wheels have been balanced and are fitted back.

Creta's steering rattle - Now solved by Hyundai dealer-20160821_102550.jpg

They fit the engine lower plastic covering and I ask if they have checked for tightening of bolts in front as I had asked for underbody check. Opened half of the plastic cover and on checking they could tighten 4 bolts. So much so for details at service centers. The technician finished the servicing part by greasing the doors. I asked him if the spark plugs needed checking, to which he replied in negative. Wonder why Hyundai lists it under Check in the service manual for 10000 kms tasks.

Then came the crux of my visit, the steering issue. Mr Rishikesh Deep was assigned and he sat down and checked many times. He opened the usual three sides of the dash board, went below and tightened all steering shaft bolts and said it is ok. Nanook was then taken for Wheel alignment.

Creta's steering rattle - Now solved by Hyundai dealer-20160821_113338.jpg

We go for the test drive and within 500 meters, even while sitting on co-driver seat, I commented that the noise had not gone. The tester took it to the rough patch and was somewhat in two minds. I took over the reins and took the left wheel only on undulation and he could clearly hear the sound and agreed. Back to the workshop and they get into a huddle with Mr Deepak discussing with three mechanics. They decided that a bush in the steering motor mounting needs replacement and start complete dismantling of the steering shaft which has to be unhooked from supporting hinges.

My curious mind however wanted to know how they have homed on to that part. After some real pestering, Mr Deepak took me inside the workshop office and showed the advice from Hyundai India with complete details of the steering motor bush problem and work to be done, part to be replaced etc ( it also mentions utpo certain VIN numbers) and he was confident that this was the solution. I come and ask if they have ever done it before and answer is Sir, aap pahle ho.

Rishikesh indeed was a professional and he handled it with care. Some snaps of him working on Nanook. Poor chaps use mobile torch and not inspection lamps.

Creta's steering rattle - Now solved by Hyundai dealer-20160821_111516.jpg
Creta's steering rattle - Now solved by Hyundai dealer-20160821_122912.jpg
Creta's steering rattle - Now solved by Hyundai dealer-20160821_125122.jpg
Finally they opened the motor and took out the bush

Creta's steering rattle - Now solved by Hyundai dealer-20160821_125314.jpg

Here is where the new thicker washer bush was placed.

Creta's steering rattle - Now solved by Hyundai dealer-bush.jpg

Took another hour and Nanook steering was all closed. No test drive and with confidence, they sent Nanook for a wash. This is where they excelled. Komal Singh was assigned the job and seeing my involvement and nit picking, 5 people were assigned. Some snaps of the thorough wash.

Creta's steering rattle - Now solved by Hyundai dealer-20160821_142714.jpg
Creta's steering rattle - Now solved by Hyundai dealer-20160821_142902.jpg
Creta's steering rattle - Now solved by Hyundai dealer-20160821_1445340.jpg

Drying and Vacuuming
Creta's steering rattle - Now solved by Hyundai dealer-20160821_144750.jpg
Creta's steering rattle - Now solved by Hyundai dealer-20160821_144818.jpg

Nanook was ready to be handed over to me at 1530 hrs and i questioned Mr Deepak who was nearby, if the software upgrade had been done. He mentioned it would have surely been done, but I insisted on checking and as expected it was not done. Mr Komal then updated the software. Nanook is ready for delivery.

Creta's steering rattle - Now solved by Hyundai dealer-20160821_152850.jpg

In this entire melee, I managed to get their store opened and got a side foot rest installed since my wife was having issues while getting down and only the original ones look and feel good. Also purchased new floor mats and the boot mat. The total bill a whopping 23374/- but that is because of the three items I bought.

So in the end was I satisfied? Yes I was satisfied and all in all it was a good experience but I can’t say I was delighted.

Was satisfied that the rattling noise has gone for now, Nanook was serviced well (spark plugs missed out though) and cleaned very very well. Also staff was courteous and provided refreshments and the service centre had all information correctly displayed.

Would have been delighted if following nuances were not there:-
• Technician trying to take out tire with one bolt remaining.
• AC Filter should have been available. Also i had one clip in the air filter missing and they did not have it in stock.
• No proper link up with the Job card. Were handing over vehicle without software upgrade even though it was first work on the job card. Also they never did anything about poor brakes. Lack of road grip with ABS at bumps is a real issue with Creta.
• My steering is 95% ok. I will do a proper sequence of alignment and sensor adjustment at another service center.

Last edited by nkghai : 25th August 2016 at 11:58.
nkghai is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 10:00   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Creta's steering rattle - Now solved by Hyundai dealer

Thanks for sharing nkghai! Moved your post to an independent thread for the benefit of other Creta owners.

Am glad that the problem is now sorted. But what is it with Hyundais & rattling steerings - remember the ol' i20?
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th August 2016, 05:47   #3
BHPian

Re: Creta's steering rattle - Now solved by Hyundai dealer

To be absolutely honest, the steering unit in almost all Hyundais is the downfall of the car. I am yet to drive one of their cars with positive feedback and feel. Even Maruti succeeded better, though not superb themselves. It's an achilles heel that goes back to the time they shifted to electric power steering. I wonder why this issue has plagued them so often.

Further, closer to the point, a friend's i10 auto suffers from steering making a jarring sound on certain bumps, particularly if the car steering wheel is turned. The thing is, it's never quite a serious sound and the car drives okay. However, his wheel alignment is extremely sensitive - it goes out of alignment within 3 months of absolutely accurate alignment. Again, it's a minor thing - slips a bit to the left and then stays there. I've recommended further investigation but to no avail.

What is striking in the OP is the lack of basic parts being available. We aren't talking about an unlikely replacement. AC filter, particularly in dusty north India is something that should be available and changed as often as the air filter. It might be a minor thing associated with the Creta production being so rushed, but it's not a good sign that car maker no. 2 in India is missing out such crucial details in the ownership experience.
carmayogi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2016, 12:01   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmayogi View Post
What is striking in the OP is the lack of basic parts being available. We aren't talking about an unlikely replacement. AC filter, particularly in dusty north India is something that should be available and changed as often as the air filter. It might be a minor thing associated with the Creta production being so rushed, but it's not a good sign that car maker no. 2 in India is missing out such crucial details in the ownership experience.
Agreed. Steering is an issue and these irritants don't make it more pleasant.

To be fair, one good aspect which was pointed out by one of our distinguished members in a message to me is, that at least this time Hyundai is reacting faster and trying to address the issues. Both the problems that i faced, the Thak sound and the rattling issue, were known to the service centre guys and they had got advisories on these from Hyundai and could undertake appropriate repair.

Also i had mentioned that this bush issue is upto certain VIN number and presumably post that, the new Creta's have been fitted with a better bush.

They have to up the game in this aspect and I believe the new Tuscon has a better and improved steering feel. Lets wait and see.
nkghai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2016, 12:36   #5
BHPian

This is a very useful thread. Thanks a lot for shifting this topic to a separate thread.

@nkghai, I am facing the same issue in my Creta too. The rattling noise usually comes when the right tire goes through a bad patch. The SA here in Mangalore told me this issue was common in the first batch of Cretas. Though it was fixed initially, within a span of 2 weeks the problem cropped up again. I am waiting for the next service to get this rectified.
carfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 07:32   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
the rattling issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post

@nkghai, I am facing the same issue in my Creta too. The rattling noise usually comes when the right tire goes through a bad patch.
Do you guys have a video/ audio clip just so that its clear how this issue sounds?

When you say rattling, is it like a creaking sound?

Reason I ask is coz I have a peculiar sound from my i20 (elite). I was of the impression this is from the suspension. Interestingly, this happens when the only the left tire goes over an imperfection on the road.

Thanks.

Last edited by vinjosep : 29th August 2016 at 07:36.
Old 29th August 2016, 08:40   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
This is a very useful thread. Thanks a lot for shifting this topic to a separate thread.

@nkghai, I am facing the same issue in my Creta too. The rattling noise usually comes when the right tire goes through a bad patch. The SA here in Mangalore told me this issue was common in the first batch of Cretas. Though it was fixed initially, within a span of 2 weeks the problem cropped up again. I am waiting for the next service to get this rectified.
@ carfreak. I am just hoping that my issue does not crop up again. The service manager said in case it comes back they will change the knuckle bearing too. Do let us know what repairs the service guys carry out on your steed to rectify the rattle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Do you guys have a video/ audio clip just so that its clear how this issue sounds?

@Vinjosep. My steering had a clear rattle, a rapid succession of two to three sharp knocking sounds. It was like a metal contact being made, which was felt on the steering and heard too. Sorry never made a video/audio. Also as in the case of carfreak it comes only when the right wheel went over undulations. So your sound may be different and can be of the suspension.
nkghai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 09:38   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post

Reason I ask is coz I have a peculiar sound from my i20 (elite). I was of the impression this is from the suspension. Interestingly, this happens when the only the left tire goes over an imperfection on the road.

Thanks.
Damn, I have the same creaking sound which I thought was coming from suspension and interestingly it is there only when the front left tire goes over an imperfection on the road. My warranty has expired on 14th of August 2016. I hope this is not a serious issue

What is Hyundai upto?
Old 29th August 2016, 10:01   #9
BHPian

Quote:
@Vinjosep. My steering had a clear rattle, a rapid succession of two to three sharp knocking sounds. It was like a metal contact being made, which was felt on the steering and heard too. Sorry never made a video/audio.
Thanks. That rules out to an extent the sound being linked to the steering. The problem am referring to sounds more like a rubber bush creaking or something where the metal links are tightened too much and with load it struggles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
Damn, I have the same creaking sound which I thought was coming from suspension and interestingly it is there only when the front left tire goes over an imperfection on the road. My warranty has expired on 14th of August 2016. I hope this is not a serious issue

What is Hyundai upto?
In my case, this seems to have started immediately after a service. The service guys have promised to check it again as soon as I find time to take the car back. Will post an update once I get a chance to do so.
vinjosep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2016, 15:05   #10
BHPian

Never thought would have to bump up this thread again and that too so soon.

But then my bad luck surfaces again. Saturday onwards a slight sound has again started coming from Nanook's steering. Have driven only 400 kms since the last repair and have been very very careful with where my right wheel was going.

This sound can be heard even when the vehicle is stationery if the steering wheel is rotated. It is definitely not the Thak sound. A little less than that but a definite metal contact sound. Also i feel the steering is like pushing back on my hand with sudden jerks when i am on turns.

There is definitely an issue with my steering. Have written to Hyundai to see if there Engineer can check it out. Got a call from their customer care today that they will look into it.

Will keep all updated.

Last edited by nkghai : 5th September 2016 at 15:13.
Old 16th September 2016, 08:36   #11
BHPian

Update.

To be fair to Hyundai, i got a call and email from the service manager to get my Nanook to Raipur for further investigations on 8th Sep. Then a service rep called and asked permission to send a mechanic on 10th Sep. My bad that i was out of station on both days and hence no progress, but Hyundai did respond.

As of date the niggle is minor and i crank up the music volume to not hear it. I am also having second thoughts and am considering to let it be for a couple of months and then see if it worsens. Worry is that the steering has been opened three times already and i just don't want to roger it more.
Old 5th September 2017, 20:31   #12
BHPian

OK so another development on the steering problem of Nanook (Stuck with me like a leech).

Third free service was due this month. Since my moving to Mumbai in Apr, i have been continously thinking of the steering noise, which i can feel more and more as days pass. Decided to raise the issue during the servicing schedule. Did a bit of survey and found that Modi Hyundai at Goregaon had a decent feedback so took an appointment for Service there today.

Reached at 8.15 AM sharp, was met by Rep Mr Amey Kore, who listened to my steering issue patiently and then told a mechanic to take a test drive. One minute on the steering and he agreed that there was some noise and included the same in the job card

[ATTACH]Creta's steering rattle - Now solved by Hyundai dealer-20170905_195347.jpg[/ATTACH]

At 3.30 PM, call the showroom to check progress and am told to come around 4.00 PM. The first question on reaching that i asked was about my steering noise . Immediately got a response from Mr Amey that they had opened the assembly and could not rectifiy the noise so they have ordered a new steering column as free replacement. I was a bit taken aback, seemed so simple and convenient but questioned about any paper work that the order was placed for the new assembly and this slip was shown to me.

Creta's steering rattle - Now solved by Hyundai dealer-20170905_195209.jpg

I was informed that the part will reach in 10 odd days and i will then get a call from the workshop.

So now Hyundai does agree there is an issue in Creta steering ( for the first lot of vehicles) and is replacing the steering column, hopefully the entire assembly, which i googled and found out.

Creta's steering rattle - Now solved by Hyundai dealer-20170905_195511.png

Hopefully this will put an end to two years of this steering bug that has been with me ever since Nanook has been with me.

Mods : Request change the Title to include " Steering Column now Ordered"
nkghai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 22:28   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Mods : Request change the Title to include " Steering Column now Ordered"
Please report the post once the replacement is done. We will update the title accordingly.
Old 22nd September 2017, 14:44   #14
BHPian

My Tyrst with Steering issue continues.

Last week got a call that steering column had arrived and fixed up for 8.00 AM appointment at Modi Hyundai, Goregaon yesterday. The process of job card opening was flawed but since i was hoping that finally this two year old issue could be getting resolved, let it pass.

But Alas Hyundai has its own ways.

When i called at 4.30 PM ( waited till that time and no calls from them) the service person informs me that the new steering column has a fault and they have fixed the old one back. One hr drive to their workshop and take delivery of my car. Just was handed over documents no explanation and no cause and effect. When asked they said they will intimate when the new column comes again.

Was 6.30 PM by the time i started back. As soon as out of thick traffic while driving on Western Expressway realised their steering alignment is amiss.
Needed the vehicle badly in weekend so did not turn back.

Reached back Andheri by 8.30 PM ( major traffic jam due to Aarey issue) and gave it a complete check. Yes there is an issue. My steering is to be kept in one qtr right rotated position for the vehicle to go straight.

Illustrate this by two photgraphs in reverse gear because then the reverse camera guidelines make the intended and actual path amply clear.

With my steering bang straight the intended path is as under

Creta's steering rattle - Now solved by Hyundai dealer-img_20170922_1156327.jpg

In order to drive straight (yellow and blue line matched), the steering position is now as under

Creta's steering rattle - Now solved by Hyundai dealer-img_20170922_1156166.jpg

Now I am really beyond my limits. Seriously thinking of selling my Hyundai and never coming back to them.

Last edited by nkghai : 22nd September 2017 at 15:08. Reason: typo
nkghai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2017, 14:21   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Please report the post once the replacement is done. We will update the title accordingly.
Finally the new steering column assembly was recieved again and booked my appointment for 28th Sep 2017. Modi Hyundai Goregaon dealership provided a free pick up and drop.

Nanook was back today with me and took a test drive for 3 to 4 kms and found the steering behaving very satisfactorily, with no noises and misalignment. Hopefully it is an end to a two year old saga of steering issues with my steed.

Invoice showing steering column change
Creta's steering rattle - Now solved by Hyundai dealer-unnamed.jpg
nkghai is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks