Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2016, 11:24   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Front tow hook should be on passenger side, not driver!

In my original post, I had assumed engine failure actually. However, one should note that no engine = no brake boost. The pedal will feel rock hard and braking ability is compromised to a certain extent.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2016, 11:56   #17
kkg
BHPian

When my friend's Indica vista broke down, we needed tow to it for few kilometers with his FIL's Petra. Now the rear tow hook of Petra is on RHS and front tow hook of Vista was on LHS. I was very surprised to see this and thought that it may be difficult to get the whole process of this towing thing done. But we hooked both the cars none the less using my proper tow rope and guess what I could align the Vista behind the Petra easliy while moving and the position of the hooks did not matter at all.

What mattered the most was the technique and anticipation of the car on the front.
kkg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2016, 13:20   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
In my original post, I had assumed engine failure actually. However, one should note that no engine = no brake boost. The pedal will feel rock hard and braking ability is compromised to a certain extent.

Correct, I should have mentioned, braking isn't really compromised, you just need to press the pedal harder. So its good to realize before you set of. Again, as long as you go carefully, not too fast, defensive driving technique it really isn't a problem.

One additional thing, cars with auto boxes tend to have special requirements on towing. Some you cant tow at all, for some the manufacturer might recommend a maximum distance. I seem to recall car owner manuals mentioning 25-45 km max.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2016, 21:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Yes. Any other way of doing it creates lateral forces on both cars which makes both harder to control, although still possible when no alternative exists.
Documented experiment on the ground called for!
What effect will the steering of the towed car have?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 4th September 2016, 00:38   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Documented experiment on the ground called for!
What effect will the steering of the towed car have?
KKG has already done the experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
When my friend's Indica vista broke down, we needed tow to it for few kilometers with his FIL's Petra. Now the rear tow hook of Petra is on RHS and front tow hook of Vista was on LHS. I was very surprised to see this and thought that it may be difficult to get the whole process of this towing thing done. But we hooked both the cars none the less using my proper tow rope and guess what I could align the Vista behind the Petra easliy while moving and the position of the hooks did not matter at all.

What mattered the most was the technique and anticipation of the car on the front.
it is in line with my experience. I never ever gave it any thought, until i saw this thread. I you have such a RHS LHS situation you will notice a little tug towards the right but nothing that will really upset the steering. Obviously it is depended on the length of the rope!

The shorter the rope the more pronounced the tug will be. But once you are rolling and accelerating at a steady but cautious pace, you will hardly notice it at all.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2016, 01:42   #21
BANNED

Isn't this really a non-issue?

The only time this alignment issue comes up is when you tow with another car.

But would you not use a tow rope in such a situation?

I have not come across anyone either here on T-Bhp or elsewhere who keeps a tow bar in their car.

Most times I have seen a tow bar used is with a recovery vehicle. And a decent one should have hooks on either side.

Should we give such little credit to car manufacturers?

Cheers.
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2016, 11:17   #22
BHPian

Surprised. Wagon R has tow hook on both sides.
Attached Thumbnails
Front tow hook should be on passenger side, not driver!-wagon-r.jpg  

bhandary is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2016, 21:03   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

I tried to look for the tow hooks on Brezza and also found that it has 2 hooks in front and 1 behind. Then I checked the manual and found out useful information. Basically, it has to be taken either using a flat bed or after lifting the front or rear tyres off the ground.
Attached Thumbnails
Front tow hook should be on passenger side, not driver!-screenshot_20160904145953.png  

Front tow hook should be on passenger side, not driver!-screenshot_20160904150027.png  

Front tow hook should be on passenger side, not driver!-screenshot_20160904150040.png  

Front tow hook should be on passenger side, not driver!-screenshot_20160904204840.png  

Front tow hook should be on passenger side, not driver!-screenshot_20160904204914.png  

BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2016, 21:19   #24
Team-BHP Support

Does ladder on frame based vehicles have an added advantage of being towed any way one wants to...all 4 wheels on ground or two wheel up.
Old 5th September 2016, 13:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Does ladder on frame based vehicles have an added advantage of being towed any way one wants to...all 4 wheels on ground or two wheel up.
It also depends on the transfer case/ gearbox configuration.

I wouldn't tow an automatic transmission car for any distance, unless the manufacturer has a towing procedure clearly mentioned in the manual.
cooldude1988765 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2016, 20:27   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Basic reason of tow hook being not in center is structural rigidity
Tow hooks are normally mounted on the underbody side members or the longitudinal runners (many such names) which are structurally solid and rigid and capable of handling such heavy loads.

Only possibility to mount the tow hook exactly in center is on the vehicle cross member (transverse member, connected to LH & RH side members) which doesn't have such a structural rigidity or in simple they are easy to collapse / buckle when longitudinal load is applied.

Now coming to the LH or RH question, there is no such thumb rule or law exists. It isn't manufacturer decision as well. Most of the time the layout / packaging of surrounding parts and piping decide where the tow hook to be positioned.

PS: Tow hooks are not meant to tow / get towed on highways or for a long haul. They are to be used only during shipping or to get the vehicle out of emergency situations (like get stuck in mud / slush) This is clearly mentioned in owner's manual.
Old 5th September 2016, 22:04   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhandary View Post
Surprised. Wagon R has tow hook on both sides.
And many of us not understanding the real use of those hooks on both sides use it for the following reason:

Front tow hook should be on passenger side, not driver!-bullbar.jpg

Such an arrangement itself is dangerous to say the least - both for using it and for the ones who have to bear the brunt of it.

IMG Source: Google
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 15:27   #28
CGB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Such an arrangement itself is dangerous to say the least - both for using it and for the ones who have to bear the brunt of it.
Hilarious. Indeed that's been equipped for safety of both car and pedestrian. All Renault Duster's have mounted the rear crash guard using a clamp from Tow hook.

Slightly OT, I have seen many cars being towed by another car with fiber Ropes and cables. Isn't it dangerous for both the cars? I guess the right way to tow is to attach a metal tube with hooks on both sides.

Experts, can you share your thoughts about this?
Old 6th September 2016, 17:18   #29
BHPian

Interesting Thread indeed

Realized that even my 2014 Ford Figo TDCi has the provision for the Tow Hook on the RHS ! I guess for the same reason as mentioned on the thread.

I plugged in the Tow Hook last year on my Figo (by colouring it 'Swag' Red) just before the Ladakh Trip and ever since then it has remained there. The biker boys now refrain from crossing my car from the front in traffic conditions seeing the Hella(s) and the Tow Hook installed

Sharing a picture of my ride :
Front tow hook should be on passenger side, not driver!-p_20150911_142452.jpg
Old 7th September 2016, 09:24   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGB View Post
I have seen many cars being towed by another car with fiber Ropes and cables. Isn't it dangerous for both the cars? I guess the right way to tow is to attach a metal tube with hooks on both sides.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Tow hooks are not meant to tow / get towed on highways or for a long haul. They are to be used only during shipping or to get the vehicle out of emergency situations (like get stuck in mud / slush) This is clearly mentioned in owner's manual.
I hope this should answer your query. For emergency situations (for which the tow hook is designed) rope or rod should work, otherwise both are dangerous.
Mr.Boss is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks