Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2016, 22:27   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Umm, not quite. In my EcoSport, I first hit the push-button without clutch, which has the same purpose as turning the key upto just before cranking the engine (i.e. through two notches). I then wait for the lights to turn off, wait for little whines to stop, and then I push the clutch in and tap the button again to fire it up.

Although it is called the "accessory mode", it is equivalent to turning the key through two notches, not just one. See the extract from the manual that compares the key vs. keyless system for the EcoSport.

Excellent, I'm to old to change my habits! Privilege of age. Although it might still be another decade before I get my first keyless car of course!

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 22:50   #17
BANNED

Re: Instrument cluster sweep?

May not be an entire philosophy of gimmick but it could be the way to check for all functions in the automobile by itself and would warn the driver before hand if there is any malfunction.

Why surprise the driver when he is starting the drive. It will be good if the problem is known before start of the journey.

Here's one on my Honda Activa 125

i am asked to wait till the cluster sweep is complete before I fire the electric starter on my Activa and I have made it a habit too. Even though none one of my cars have this feature, I wait for 2-3 seconds after switching ON the ignition and lets the tell-tale lights disappear (that disappear normally when ignition is ON) and then fire up and wait for the rest tell-tale signs to go. After this I drive out.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 01:38   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
May not be an entire philosophy of gimmick but it could be the way to check for all functions in the automobile by itself and would warn the driver before hand if there is any malfunction.

Sure, but then it would be mentioned in the owners manual. Anybody with these sweeping dials for a bike or a car, please check the owner manual what it says.
If it doesn't mention anything specific about warning, its a gimmick.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 16:34   #19
BHPian

Would it be possible to make your car sweep its dials on startup? I googled and found a few options involving connecting to the OBD port and using an app on your phone to 'switch on' the dial sweep feature.

Also, I am not sure how reliable this memory is, but I distinctly remember our old '07 Fiesta doing a sweep once. I'm not sure why it did it just that one time, though. Can someone shed light on this?
Old 11th October 2020, 17:35   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by francisvellara View Post

Also, I am not sure how reliable this memory is, but I distinctly remember our old '07 Fiesta doing a sweep once. I'm not sure why it did it just that one time, though. Can someone shed light on this?
Gauge self diagnostics. No, I’m not generalising with a sweeping statement that all instrument clusters which do a full sweep when ignition is turned on perform a self diagnostic/ test but yes, in some cars that’s built in. You press or perform a set sequence of actions and your gauge control module which is normally built in the main gauge cluster does a self test which starts with a sweeping needle. My civic has it. Your Ford might have had it too.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks