Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2016, 23:11   #16
BHPian

re: Why do rear window sills slant upward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
It just seems to be an effort to keep up with the trend (currently trendy being sleek rather than boxy), with no apparent technical constraint. The latest Discovery seems to have given up its trademark low window line, so characteristic of its profile.

This trend seems go along with the rearward sloping roof line as well, with the Evoque taking this to an altogether new level!
You’re comparing two different vehicles here. The one on top is Discovery (LR4 in North American market) & one on the bottom is Discovery Sport.

The trend towards inward slope of the rear glass and sloping rooflines (especially for cute utes that we call SUVs in India) is also in keeping with increasing emphasis on aerodynamics (the way the air flows around curves). For a number of hard core 4X4s this is not of much significance in view of their brick like design upfront (Jeep Wrangler, Toyota 4 Runner, RR Discovery/LR4 etc.) that negates any advantage of this design trend.

These parameters are also driven by design signature of a particular platform/brand & if you’ve noticed off late it is becoming increasingly difficult to differentiate between different vehicles belonging to a brand (Range Rover, Range Rover Sport, Discovery, Discovery Sport, RR Evoque etc.).

The trend towards ever increasing wheel size is also driving these high belt lines as designers tend to maintain a certain proportion between the upper one third and the lower one third.

There is this belief among designers that the smaller the upper one third of the silhouette the sportier the design and this is resulting in porthole like windows that I’m no fan of.

Weight is a big consideration for manufacturers in order for them to improve their fuel efficiency numbers now a days & as GTO has pointed out less glass means less weight.
Vikram Arya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 04:45   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
For a number of hard core 4X4s this is not of much significance in view of their brick like design upfront (Jeep Wrangler, Toyota 4 Runner, RR Discovery/LR4 etc.) .
Feel something it has more to do with the build/Body type also. My thought goes like this.Most of the cars mentioned above are Body on Frame design. So for them, its the ladder frame which is the major structure which add the strength to the entire vehicle rather than the body on top of it. So those car can have any type of body shape including window size/style depends on designers taste or something else.

For a monocoque, since it doesn't have a separate chassis, then less glass means more metal and more internal reinforcements designer can do which gives better strength to overall structure. We can see most of these small rear windowed cars are small cars/monocoques. Since they cannot reduce the side of front windows due to visibility issues for driver, only option is left out is to have a small back window.

I remember Jeremy Clarkson sharing his view between convertible and corresponding hardtop in one of the episode of Top Gear which he gives similar explanation.

Then somebody can ask why these older monocoques (m800, Esteem, Lancer or even Cielo) has bigger window for which I don't have an answer. May be its a changing trend too

Last edited by arunrajk81 : 8th September 2016 at 04:49.
arunrajk81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 11:01   #18
Senior - BHPian

I do remember reading it somewhere that certain safety standards now require the windows to be above a certain height (which is more than older cars like Zen, Esteem, Ford Ikon etc) Hence, most cars now have a raised waist-line, and in some cases, windows dont roll down all the way to the bottom. I cannot find the source though :(

Here is something worth looking at

https://law.resource.org/pub/us/cfr/...1100.2001.html

Rear passengers can feel a bit claustrophobic, but I don't think that should cause a problem for drivers as such, as they should always use rear view mirrors if they want to take a look at rear sides, say while parking or entering a highway.

Last edited by NiInJa : 8th September 2016 at 11:18.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 15:46   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why do rear window sills slant upward?

Here is a 'technically' simpler explanation:
1. A Car with low window line means the rear window glass cannot be fully opened because of the protruding wheel arch. e.g. The old Alto 800.
2. Some manufacturers solved this by splitting the rear window glass (half of the window glass is sealed, and the other half is fully open-able). e.g. The A-star.
3. An easier (and cheaper) way is to raise the window line a bit, so that a long and fully open-able window can be designed. Somebody came up with this 'brilliant' idea, and everybody is following suit.

Edit: Mahindra E2O is the only car that fits your 'rear window line' requirements, if you can live with all the other negatives.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 8th September 2016 at 15:52.
jinojohnt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 16:50   #20
BHPian

Re: Why do rear window sills slant upward?

With the cars being designed to appear sleek it becomes difficult to convince family members on why a particular car is designed the way it is. My folks (kid) included absolutely hate sitting in my Verna as the back seat offers no visibility outside.
macbeth is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed