Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2006, 16:54   #1
BANNED

Hot wiring a car .. ??

Hey, Ive been wondering for a long time as to how the heroes in movies dive under the dash board for 10 secs and get the car to start ... Its just that I too have had a few times when Ive been stranded without a key ..

Is it actually possible or is it just another figment of their imagination ?? I mean , when hot wiring a car does it enable the steering to get unlocked as well if locked earlier ?? Also are the wires in all cars of the same standardised color combination l ...

throw some light on this in very simple words !!!

Cheers
Old 10th October 2006, 17:11   #2
BANNED

Khaadu.. its called SPECIAL EFFECTS
Also known as topi penowing the public...
Nice thread though I don't think BHP would support learning how to 'BORROW' a car without the owners permission.
Cheers.
Old 10th October 2006, 17:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

no special effects. quite possible. but you cannot unlock the steering.

but dont try this in your car or in your neighbour's. you are bound to get into trouble.
Old 10th October 2006, 22:47   #4
BANNED

Hey, Seems the techie guys here are sleeping or don't have a clue how to ??? Seems we guys are still under the hood and not under the dash ....

Cheers
Old 10th October 2006, 22:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

I have a gut feeling that this thread is gonna be closed.
Old 10th October 2006, 23:04   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
I have a gut feeling that this thread is gonna be closed.
Nitrous, What makes you say that ??? I'm asking a very technical question ... and if its considered illegal then maybe we shud start closing thread that discuss engine swaps , body mods , free flows , etc -- technically they are also considered illegal by the RTO ..

Cheers
Old 10th October 2006, 23:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

What was shown in the movies of yore was true to some extent. They were those cars that were plain vanilla and one had not heard of jargons like steering lock, central locking etc. I remeber in good old Amby & Fiat of the yester years, it was possible to do so and also in the impalas, plymouths, buicks etc. One just needed to pull the 4 wires behind the ignition switch - red, yellow, black and white and short the red with yellow & black to fire the engine. At least the Amby used to start that way.

And nothing illegal in discussing it. We are not auto thieves discussing ways & means of car lifting. It is a very valid technical point and educates of all possibilites..

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75
Hey, Ive been wondering for a long time as to how the heroes in movies dive under the dash board for 10 secs and get the car to start ... Its just that I too have had a few times when Ive been stranded without a key ..

Is it actually possible or is it just another figment of their imagination ?? I mean , when hot wiring a car does it enable the steering to get unlocked as well if locked earlier ?? Also are the wires in all cars of the same standardised color combination l ...

throw some light on this in very simple words !!!

Cheers
Old 11th October 2006, 00:31   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418
What was shown in the movies of yore was true to some extent. They were those cars that were plain vanilla and one had not heard of jargons like steering lock, central locking etc. I remeber in good old Amby & Fiat of the yester years, it was possible to do so and also in the impalas, plymouths, buicks etc. One just needed to pull the 4 wires behind the ignition switch - red, yellow, black and white and short the red with yellow & black to fire the engine. At least the Amby used to start that way.

And nothing illegal in discussing it. We are not auto thieves discussing ways & means of car lifting. It is a very valid technical point and educates of all possibilites..
Thanks gd1418 .... U seem to have answered my question .. As for the illegal part , again you said what I have been wanting to . I wonder why ppl wud look at this as a DELETABLE THREAD ???

Cheers
Old 11th October 2006, 02:21   #9
elf
BANNED

Somebody stop me...

Why would you want to hot wire an Amby or a Fiat anyways? I'm not suggesting that they're not worthy of being stolen (take a gander at Rudra Sen's beauty, & the devil will tempt you even)!

Both Premier Auto & Hindustan Motors never felt the need to waste time with key manufacturing. They made one type in a die, & then gave the same set of keys out to all the buyers. Hence, any Fiat owner could open another Fiat.

In the movies, it was the way the others said - special effects. The car would actually be running & the car starter motor sound would simply be dubbed over when the hero finished visibly 'hot wiring' the car.

May be off topic, but anybody notice that all vehicles in the Hindi movies from the 70's & 80's (some even today), made the same noises during movement?
For example, whether you were driving or starting an Impala, a scooter, a Jeep or a Fiat, the engine sounded the same.

And everybody screeched whilst braking, even on soft dry/wet mud/sand with no evidence of any tarmac below. This at 100, 50, 20, or even 10 km/h.

And all the women sang in the same voice. Sometimes the men too...
Man, was it a homogeneous society...

Last edited by elf : 11th October 2006 at 02:23.
Old 11th October 2006, 12:48   #10
DRC
BHPian

Even in today's cars it is possible except for the steering lock.
Old 14th October 2006, 09:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

How very succinctly put across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf
Why would you want to hot wire an Amby or a Fiat anyways? I'm not suggesting that they're not worthy of being stolen (take a gander at Rudra Sen's beauty, & the devil will tempt you even)!

Both Premier Auto & Hindustan Motors never felt the need to waste time with key manufacturing. They made one type in a die, & then gave the same set of keys out to all the buyers. Hence, any Fiat owner could open another Fiat.

In the movies, it was the way the others said - special effects. The car would actually be running & the car starter motor sound would simply be dubbed over when the hero finished visibly 'hot wiring' the car.

May be off topic, but anybody notice that all vehicles in the Hindi movies from the 70's & 80's (some even today), made the same noises during movement?
For example, whether you were driving or starting an Impala, a scooter, a Jeep or a Fiat, the engine sounded the same.

And everybody screeched whilst braking, even on soft dry/wet mud/sand with no evidence of any tarmac below. This at 100, 50, 20, or even 10 km/h.

And all the women sang in the same voice. Sometimes the men too...
Man, was it a homogeneous society...

Last edited by F50 : 14th October 2006 at 10:15.
Old 8th July 2009, 19:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

How do the car thieves steal the car anyways.I mean don't cars come with a built in internal steering lock these days.I wonder how they are able to get around the same.?

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 8th July 2009 at 19:19.
Old 8th July 2009, 21:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

I have a feeling that they're not too burglar proof. at least the steering lock on a bike can give way if you use enough effort. at best, they are a deterrent
Old 8th July 2009, 21:47   #14
Senior - BHPian

My biggest shock is how the hell do they get to break the steering lock on a car????

The ones on the bike are based on the persons strength.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks