Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2016, 18:16   #1
BHPian

Bumper.com - Dent repair, paint jobs & more in Bangalore. EDIT: Closed down

Has anyone used this service for body work?
A friend of mine enquired with them. They have pickup and drop. Quoting Rs 2000 per panel for painting and Rs 2600 for dent removal.

They have mentioned using 3m and Dupont products; and 1 year warranty on paint.
https://bumper.com/

He is about to engage with them. Checking for reviews before this.

Thanks,
Glen

Last edited by GTO : 27th September 2016 at 11:51. Reason: Typo
glenmz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 20:55   #2
BHPian

The site looks impressive. It appears to be a VC funded startup with a network of affiliates but I don't see any workshop location listed. Do you know where their workshops are?
outdoorlover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 21:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Bumper.com - Dent repair, paint jobs & more

I have just tried out bumper.com for a minor body work. They are basically a service integrator with tie ups to few workshops. They offer pick up services which I refused and dropped the car myself. The workshop listed in Whitefield is Sri Raghavendra Motors Hoodi. I think they also have tie ups with major body work shops like Sai Colorium.

I reached the workshop around 9.30AM. Two Bumper guys were present there, they did the entire paper work and that was a major relief since hardly anyone from workshop was around.
Coming to the cost it is definitely cheaper than if you go direct. But expect all scratch repairs getting re-negotiated as dent repairs. I still think this will be around 20% cheaper.
The quality of work, I am yet to check, which in all probability will be as good as the workshop you select.

Last edited by poloman : 26th September 2016 at 21:29.
poloman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 22:38   #4
Team-BHP Support

I'm quite surprised they managed to get their hands on bumper.com domain name!

They got $500,000 seed funding from SAIF Partners.
SmartCat is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 27th September 2016, 11:41   #5
BHPian

Thanks for the response guys.
My friend prefers them for the convenience it offers. The only thing I was not comfortable with was the 'black-box' approach of not mentioning the affiliated workshops, but thanks to poloman, good to know that we have an option to drop the car. Will ask him to be warned about the scratches as dents part.

Thanks again.
Old 27th September 2016, 17:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bumper.com - Dent repair, paint jobs & more

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Thanks for the response guys.
My friend prefers them for the convenience it offers. The only thing I was not comfortable with was the 'black-box' approach of not mentioning the affiliated workshops, but thanks to poloman, good to know that we have an option to drop the car. Will ask him to be warned about the scratches as dents part.

Thanks again.
OK, got the delivery of the car today. I would say I am liking it. The work was very good. I have checked out almost all body shops in Bangalore including Sai Colorium, Trend, VW A.S.S in 2 places and so on. I have reviewed them in respective threads.With that background I would rate this work 4.5/5. The delivery was made in 36 hours and no time was spent in waiting for SA or bill. I did the pick up also on my own.
poloman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th September 2016, 10:36   #7
BHPian

re: Bumper.com - Dent repair, paint jobs & more in Bangalore. EDIT: Closed down

I know of a few friends who were coerced into getting the entire car repainted and the results weren't that great. Lot of the panels weren't polished post the painting process. Attention to detail was poor. They maybe ok for a panel or two but not more than that.
vishwasvr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2016, 11:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwasvr View Post
I know of a few friends who were coerced into getting the entire car repainted and the results weren't that great. Lot of the panels weren't polished post the painting process. Attention to detail was poor. They maybe ok for a panel or two but not more than that.
I don't think getting the entire car painted is a good idea unless you had a major accident. Any way body work in most of the workshops in Bangalore is a hit or a miss. Sometimes you will get good results sometimes bad from the same workshop.
Old 28th September 2016, 11:20   #9
BHPian

True. My friend's white swift which is about 8 years old had a bunch of minor dents all over the place and they pushed him to get the entire car repainted except the roof when he was not at all interested in spending that kind of money. The end result wasn't good enough either. Masking of rubber parts wasn't done and paint over spray was still visible.

If a workshop has a permanent painter and denter then usually the quality tends to be the same. The problem arises when there are floating employees.
Old 28th September 2016, 11:22   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bumper.com - Dent repair, paint jobs & more

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I'm quite surprised they managed to get their hands on bumper.com domain name!

They got $500,000 seed funding from SAIF Partners.
I had similar thoughts on this, getting that domain name must have been entire very lucky or very expensive.

Although their pricing is great and I would be weary of the quality of work since it is all outsourced. I am not sure if aggregators can add value to this segment unless they backward integrate to some extent to take over quality parameters and checks on every job being executed. It would also require rigorous training at the workshop level to ensure consistent results.
Sahil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2016, 11:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwasvr View Post
True. My friend's white swift which is about 8 years old had a bunch of minor dents all over the place and they pushed him to get the entire car repainted except the roof when he was not at all interested in spending that kind of money. The end result wasn't good enough either. Masking of rubber parts wasn't done and paint over spray was still visible.

If a workshop has a permanent painter and denter then usually the quality tends to be the same. The problem arises when there are floating employees.
Another problem is dust. In most of the workshops preparation work,painting and drying is done in open spaces. This will add to inconsistent results. You should be sure exactly what you need. I had done denting and painting work on the same door in VW A.S.S spending 20K (80% insurance+20% self). The door was replaced and the results were poor. Mine is a flash red car with deep gloss. The panel had a cloudy look with hardly any reflection. This time it was much better if not perfect.

Last edited by poloman : 28th September 2016 at 11:30.
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 09:45   #12
BHPian

STAY AWAY FROM THEM

It is a long story, please stay with me.

I have had very bad experience with this guys. After going through some of the reviews here, given my car for front left fender dent removal & painting.

Booking was done on 29th September and it was promptly picked up on 30th morning. The guy who picked the car has noted down all the existing dents/scratches & taken photos from different angles.

I was expecting a call the same day evening, since it was only one panel. But no calls till next day evening (1st Oct Saturday). So I called them up & the lady on the other line said, sir we painted the panel but there was a paint mismatch & shared the photos on Whatsapp. She apologized and said we will repaint and deliver the car on Monday 3rd Oct & I accepted it.

Monday till evening nobody called up, so i called them again. Same lady & same story. There was a paint mismatch, they have to repaint and deliver on next day 4th Oct. This time she says will do a complimentary interior cleaning since there was a delay from their end. I didn't had any choice but to accept it.

The next day no calls again, contacted them. This time she said work completed and they were able to match the paint finally & interior cleaning also completed. But they will deliver the car on 5th Oct by morning only since QC is pending.

The next day evening 5 PM car came home, I was not there at home. So my wifey took the delivery. She said they matched the paint & dent/scratches are gone. Paid the amount Rs.2699 through their app online & shared the screenshot to my wife. She has shown this to the delivery guy & off he went.

Next 4~5 days I was busy with my work schedule & not checked the panel nor taken out the car. On 10th Oct I have taken out the cover to wash the car for puja. To my horror there are 10's of yellow spots/dots all over the painted panel, upon checking further found the right side running board was damaged somehow & screws were put out of place .

I clearly remembered that this damage was not there before, it could have happened only during the time the car was with bumper.com guys.. So i wanted to confront the people at bumper.com. Before that called up the guy who picked my car in the first place & asked him to share the photos he has taken during pickup on Whatsapp. Without thinking he shared it & there you go, this damage was not seen/there in it.

Then I called up the customer care & explained the whole scenario, the lady on the other end said they will pick up the car again to repaint the panel & investigate the damage on right side running board. But they could pickup the car only on 14th Oct due to festival holidays, I said ok.

In between on 12th Oct, there were 3~4 scratches happened on the newly painted panel, thanks to the dogs at my locality . The car was picked up again Yesterday. I got a call later in the day, the lady said even though they accept there are yellow dots on the panel I have to pay a discounted price of Rs.1199 to fix the panel & paint, since there are new scratches in the panel.

I asked her what is the status of the damage to the right side running board and she was like WHAT?! Then I was forced to explain everything & she said will check with seniors/garage and come back. After some time she called up and said the damage was there before itself & it has not happened in their premises. I asked her for proof, since I already got mine from the photos shared by the pickup guy.

She shared a photo taken at the garage and circled a part (Thinking I was talking about this part) showing the damage was there before. Now the circled part is a gap between side skirts and car body which was there from the factory itself & I was not mentioning about that. In sharing that photo taken at garage she inadvertently given me one more proof that the damage happened at their place only, because in that photo also it can be seen clearly.

Now I shared the photos got from pickup guy & explained the part I was mentioning not the one she circled it. Now she goes back to consult with his seniors & comes back saying even though they acknowledge that the damage could have happened at their place, I should have informed them within 24 hrs. Now I lost it and warned them will take them to consumer court and record this experience in all social media platforms.

Now I am waiting for morning call on their final decision. Please advice on how to take this forward? Is there any higher management contacts you guys can help me with?

Last edited by Aditya : 16th October 2016 at 18:58. Reason: Deleting extra smiley
sbalagru6 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2016, 11:03   #13
BHPian

@sbalagru6 have you tried taking them on FB and twitter? Also tag their biggest angel investors in it. Most likely to work in these days of social media explosion.
Old 16th October 2016, 19:45   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
@sbalagru6 have you tried taking them on FB and twitter? Also tag their biggest angel investors in it. Most likely to work in these days of social media explosion.
Yesterday afternoon I got a call from their customer experience team, after I threatened to send a mail to their founders. The lady said even though there was no conclusive evidence that the damage happened at their place, they will fix & paint it along with left side fender repainting as a goodwill gesture.

Don't know how long it's going to take, waiting fingers crossed.
Old 17th October 2016, 09:13   #15
BHPian

It will be good to know which specific garage your car was taken to so that it helps others in being careful.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks