Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2016, 12:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ramar Pillai sentenced to 3 years in prison

Ramar Pillai, who shot to fame around two decades ago after claiming to have developed an herbal alternative to petrol, has been sentenced to 3 years of Rigorous Imprisonment by a court in Chennai. He was facing trial in a cheating case filed by the CBI. Along with Ramar, four of his associates - R Venudevi, S Chinnasamy, R Rajasegaran and S K Bharat, have also been sent to prison.

Back in 1996, Ramar Pillai had come up with a bio fuel that he claimed to be a cheaper and more viable alternative to petrol. Within a month, country's leading institutes like IIT Madras and Indian Institute of Petroleum, Dehradun rubbished his claims. However, Ramar Pillai went on to open multiple retail outlets in the city and started selling 'Ramar Bio Fuel'. Priced at Rs. 10 to Rs. 15 per litre, the alternative fuel was much cheaper than petrol, which was at that time priced around Rs. 35 per litre.

CBI filed a case against Ramar and he was arrested in the year 2000 on charges of buying organic chemicals and then mixing them with additives to develop the so-called herbal fuel. However, Pillai came back with yet another 'invention' in 2010. He had changed his name to Ponnupillai Ramar, while the new fuel was now called Velar Bio Hydrocarbon Fuel.

But owing to his earlier image, no one really paid attention to his new claim. Meanwhile, the CBI filed case dragged on in court. The final decision was penned down on Wednesday, 12 October. Along with the aforementioned jail term, the court has also imposed a fine of Rs. 30,000 on the team (Rs. 6,000 each).

Source: Times of India

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 17th October 2016 at 13:04.
dZired is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 13:11   #2
BHPian

Re: Ramar Pillai sentenced to 3 years in prison

The environmentalist and nationalist in me feels happy. Then 15, I had joyously thought, what a magical research by an Indian scientist! If only life was that simple :P
avingodb is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 13:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

Wow, glad that the judgement came when we are still alive. I was 17, when I first read about this in a newspaper.

Last edited by deehunk : 17th October 2016 at 13:39.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 14:29   #4
BHPian

(Sarcasm) All hail the Indian Judiciary. (/Sarcasm)

After 20 years, this guy who duped so many customers & small businessmen, is given a paltry fine of Rs. 6,000/-

I'm pretty sure the RI would soon be pardoned to normal imprisonment & maybe later even the sentence would be reduced with court pleas of "good behaviour".

Hurts the credibility of honest small time inventors.
WorkingGuru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 16:13   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
Then 15, I had joyously thought, what a magical research by an Indian scientist!
Unfortunately whenever India makes the news for something like this, these two phrases are interchangeable:

"what a magical research by an Indian scientist!"
vs
"what a masterful scheme by an Indian scamster!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
... this guy who duped so many customers & small businessmen, is given a paltry fine of Rs. 6,000/-
Yes, it took a long time - no arguements there. However, the fine is nothing compared to the 3 years in prison! That's the real punishment...
Rehaan is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks