Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2016, 14:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Timing belt replaced - Now, ignition timing issues

Hi Team,

Need some help folks. Recently my 100,000 kms + run SWIFT (Petrol, G13B) had a routine timing belt change.
Authorised Maruti Service Station has messed up the ignition timing when replacing the timing belt. The culprit M.A.S.S. thought insists ignition timing is fine but i am not convinced.
Vehicle is running sluggish, acceleration is tepid, and the vehicle is heating up more than normal, (all symptoms of a classic "retarded" ignition timing). Fuel economy has crashed to 7kmpl from the usual 12kmpl i used to get.

What i seek: Being a distributor-less setup, can someone share how to go about checking the G13B's timing? Also what are the IGN timing values for the G13B engined SWIFT's please ?
Thanks in advance for all the help.
Old 24th October 2016, 17:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Timing belt replaced - Now, ignition timing issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Hi Team,

Need some help folks. Recently my 100,000 kms + run SWIFT (Petrol, G13B) had a routine timing belt change.
Authorised Maruti Service Station has messed up the ignition timing when replacing the timing belt. The culprit M.A.S.S. thought insists ignition timing is fine but i am not convinced.
Vehicle is running sluggish, acceleration is tepid, and the vehicle is heating up more than normal, (all symptoms of a classic "retarded" ignition timing). Fuel economy has crashed to 7kmpl from the usual 12kmpl i used to get.

What i seek: Being a distributor-less setup, can someone share how to go about checking the G13B's timing? Also what are the IGN timing values for the G13B engined SWIFT's please ?
G13B distributor less ? I don't think so. Have the position of the distributor checked. I had a similar issue with my esteem.
Old 24th October 2016, 17:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Timing belt replaced - Now, ignition timing issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Recently my 100,000 kms + run SWIFT (Petrol, G13B) had a routine timing belt change.

Check the timing using a timing light on the marking on crank pulley. Works the same for your distributorless setup.

If they have messed up the timing belt installation it would affect not just your ignition timing but your valve timing would also be off and can cause issues that you report. It should pop a light on the cluster but it may not, since the 1.3 is not OBD compliant you will need the suzuki diagnostic tool to check the valve timing. Check the MASS workshop manual for correct values.

Take it to another garage with expertise if you have a choice, they can open the belt cover and check the alignment marks on the crank pulley and cam sprocket and check whether the marks line up as it should. If it does then timing is not the issue.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 20:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Timing belt replaced - Now, ignition timing issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
G13B distributor less ? I don't think so. Have the position of the distributor checked. I had a similar issue with my esteem.
Swift's G13 is distributorless, Esteem MPFI has distributor like you said.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks