Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2016, 22:21   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fuel Slosh sound, after a full tank!

How sure are you about completely full?

Fuel vapor and air pockets in the tank will cause a not quite completely full tank for example, which is why to fill up 100% completely some long distance cabbies rock the car a bit while it is being filled - just like a doctor taps his syringe to ensure that the entire space inside is occupied by injection liquid rather than air bubbles.

Note also that the volume of petrol or diesel expands in the sun's heat and slightly contracts in colder conditions.

Still not a good idea to fill the tank 100% completely as there's much higher chance of fuel spillage etc as I mentioned.

Last edited by hserus : 30th October 2016 at 22:24.
Old 30th October 2016, 23:03   #17
BHPian

Reminds me of this strange problem we had with the Micra. Used to get this sloshing sound frequently and I always thought it was the fuel and ignored it. But none of the other cars at home including hatchbacks had this, I mean, never noticed the sloshing sound so frequently in any other cars. Few months back when I took Micra for service and went for a test drive with the SA, he said that's the sound of the faulty rear suspension and got it replaced under warranty. The sound disappeared. But since yours is a brand new car, chances are less this could be the problem. Still, just for awareness sake, that's one more cause for sloshing kinda sound from the rear. Strange but true.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2016, 07:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

Or just rain water that collected somewhere in the car and is splashing around.

If that is the case better get it cleaned out to avoid a mosquito problem.
Old 31st October 2016, 08:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If it bothers you, just crank the stereo volume up . This is one of the reasons you'll never hear me complain about rattles.
This was suggested to me also by a Maruti Service Engineer, when complained about the sliding door rattles in my Omni in the 90s.
Old 31st October 2016, 09:58   #20
BANNED

I wonder if the Germans would have such "resourcefulness" when it comes to solving such problems. Im assuming they will get to the bottom of it even if it means removing the entire door and reassembling it with new rubber parts.
Old 3rd November 2016, 17:53   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
How sure are you about completely full?
d.
I guess so. I filled a couple of litres extra after the auto stop.

Quote:
I guess most modern cars have baffles in the fuel tank to prevent fuel from sloshing around.

I hear it in my Jeep because of the fuel tank's position (under the front passenger seat). Don't hear it in my other cars though. The sound might depend on the fuel tank design (baffles), cabin insulation, fuel tank position etc.

If it bothers you, just crank the stereo volume up . This is one of the reasons you'll never hear me complain about rattles.
Now I am on half tank, and dont hear this anymore. Could this be a defect with the fuel tank? As few people have mentioned, I have never come across this in my previous cars. Or again, as you mentioned, could be an issue with the fuel tank position of Ecosport
Old 3rd November 2016, 18:05   #22
Senior - BHPian

I always fill till auto cut off and then a top up (I make them pull out the nozzle for this) to reach a full tank. Never heard any such sound so far. Car is Alto, 35 litre tank.

Last edited by Gansan : 3rd November 2016 at 18:07.
Old 4th November 2016, 10:15   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph5600 View Post
Hi, I couldn't find an existing thread for this, so creating a new one. I bought a new Ecosport diesel last week. Everything was okay since delivery. The day before yesterday, I filled up the diesel full tank. Henceforth I am hearing a fuel slosh sound from the rear while braking. Is this common?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
The Fuel Slosh sound is a normal thing....a minor irritant...you will soon get used to it. it usually happens on a full tank and slowly decreases in intensity as the tank empties.
Normally a full tank will not have so much effect as a slack (partially full tank).

Quote:
I guess most modern cars have baffles in the fuel tank to prevent fuel from sloshing around.
Sloshing is one of the reasons for baffles. The other is free surface effect. May sound insignificant but it does play a big part in affecting the handling. I know this because we normally use much larger fuel tanks where the effect is noticeable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_surface_effect

http://www.iitk.ac.in/nicee/wcee/art...E2012_4672.pdf

https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rc...ZjwV7hxCOu7IkA

The article is on ships tanks but the principle is the same.

Last edited by pedrolourenco : 4th November 2016 at 10:19.
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2016, 12:08   #24
BHPian

Took my car to Elite Ford to get this checked. They said that this is not common for Ecosport. As this is something where they would probably need to replace the fuel tank and check, they suggested to get this done during the first service. Will keep you posted once this is done.

this is sometimes getting really annoying....
Old 4th January 2017, 11:49   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Took my car to Elite Ford to get this checked. They said that this is not common for Ecosport. As this is something where they would probably need to replace the fuel tank and check, they suggested to get this done during the first service. Will keep you posted once this is done.
My Ecosport also has sloshing sound with full tank(No top up).I noticed this last week for the first time since 8 months i bought it. I din't worry much as this can be a normal sound with liquid properties. Any update on the resolution part or this is normal and not a serious concern.
Noticed some sloshing sound with music system off as i was parking inside and a sudden brake got me this sound.Did not worry at that moment but when i read this thread seemed to be thinking if any major issues.
Please let me know if anyone ecosport owners got this or fixed this.
Old 6th February 2017, 07:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

this is sometimes getting really annoying....
Any update on this?

The same sloshing sound is present in my New Figo too. This is more audible at full tank fill ups and comes down gradually as the fuel is reduced. I do not fill up after the auto cut off.
Old 7th June 2017, 13:53   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidRavi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Any update on this?
Our service centres have become terribly underskilled that getting these kinds of issues diagnosed itself has become nearly impossible. Moreover, they are not ready to spend time on these kind of issues, as they take huge volumes of vehicles over their capacity. To figure out whether this is an issue or not and fix it, it is going to take me at least 5-6 visits, which looks impossible to me at the moment. Bangalore all these service centres are here to loot the customers.

I am quite disappointed with the quality of Ford. It has deteriorated. On completion of 3K itself, I could notice rattlings, which was not present in Ford at all few years back!
Old 7th June 2017, 14:35   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidRavi View Post
My Ecosport also has sloshing sound with full tank(No top up)
===
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Any update on this?

The same sloshing sound is present in my New Figo too. .
Might be normal since a full tank cut off does not really mean it is filled to the brim. And since these tanks are now placed under the rear seating area might be more audible inside.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks