Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2009, 13:58   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I'm not sure I have read/heard any auto company recommending applying grease of the brake pads either on disk contact surface or otherwise. One should apply grease only on the caliper pin and that is it.
When I said "Pad Outer Surface" I meant the surface that is behind the disk contact surface i.e. the back side of the pad.

Yes, it is not recommended by manufacturers but at the same time their dealers are clueless when such problems appear.

I faced a similar problem when replaced all disks and pads on my Mondeo with OEM parts. I had all sorts of problems after that - brake noise, bake judder, premature ABS kick in, weak brakes etc. Upon repeated complaints to both FORD dealers they replaced pads saying they are defective. But same problems reappeared after about 500 kms of driving. Then took my car to a private garage and applied grease to the brake pads. Now the problem is gone, there is not even whisper from the brakes.

Last edited by novice : 4th November 2009 at 14:00.
Old 20th May 2010, 16:27   #62
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have this strange sound on my car, not sure where is the problem.

When the handbrakes are ON and I sit Or the car gets shaken up, there is this khut khut sound.

When the car is pulled up on handbrake the sound is there.

When brakes are applied, this sound comes. It seems like a hollow drum is making some sound.

Have my drum brakes gone for a toss ? I am planning to visit Hyundai ASC for this. Any inputs are most welcome.
Old 20th May 2010, 16:34   #63
Senior - BHPian

the rear brake pads/shoes are getting stuck to the drums / not releasing when the handbrake lever is released. ask the mechanics to clean the brake shoes/pads and the drums.

donot apply the handbrake for long after a hard drive.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 20th May 2010 at 16:36.
Old 20th May 2010, 17:05   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
the rear brake pads/shoes are getting stuck to the drums / not releasing when the handbrake lever is released. ask the mechanics to clean the brake shoes/pads and the drums.

donot apply the handbrake for long after a hard drive.
thanks for your tip. However as soon as I disengage the handbrake and jump in the car, there is no sound.

It gives me more feeling like the rear brake drums are the ones who are culprit.

Disc Brake pads were changed less than 5kms back, they have been good, I am concerned more on the rear drum brakes.

The car runs fine, however on speadbreaker etc the sound comes too.
Old 20th May 2010, 17:17   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
The car runs fine, however on speadbreaker etc the sound comes too.
This needs to be checked - going over speed breakers the sound shouldn't come from the brakes. also get the rear suspension checked.
Old 20th May 2010, 17:21   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
This needs to be checked - going over speed breakers the sound shouldn't come from the brakes. also get the rear suspension checked.
Thats what I am confused if it is suspension or brakes.

Today its late, will get it checked tomorrow. I hope its safe to drive car in this condition.

I need to drive 100+ kms till tomorrow morning. (back to home and then to office tomorrow)
Old 23rd May 2010, 14:53   #67
Senior - BHPian

Got the brakes checked at ASC.

Brake shoes were worn out, had to replace the rear set. Brake drum was the culprit and had to replace one rear brake drum. Cost including labor charge came to around 3.2k. Now there is no sound on braking and its working fine.
Old 23rd May 2010, 15:43   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Got the brakes checked at ASC.

Brake shoes were worn out, had to replace the rear set. Brake drum was the culprit and had to replace one rear brake drum. Cost including labor charge came to around 3.2k. Now there is no sound on braking and its working fine.
you posted on another thead about Santro.

Did you paid 3.2K for santro Brake pads ???

I think the service center gives OEM ones @ Rs1800 + Tax which comes for all 4 wheels and they are not available individually.
Old 26th May 2010, 10:22   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post

I think the service center gives OEM ones @ Rs1800 + Tax which comes for all 4 wheels and they are not available individually.
yeah, that was for AC cooling.

Comment here was for sounds coming for rear brake drum.

3.2k bill was for brake shoes (set of 2 for rear) + one rear brake drum (I dont think its disc) + one mirror etc + one rubber in the suspension + labor charge, let me get the individual breakup to post it here.

Last edited by tanwaramit : 26th May 2010 at 10:23.
Old 26th May 2010, 20:13   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post

All four wheels are not drum in Santro (or most cars). The rear ones are drum (they uses shoe), front ones are disc (they uses pads).

Why did they changed the wheel hub (drum as you said)? thats a mystery. As they are quite reliable and never need replacement unless you break the nuts or crack the housing where the shaft goes.
Old 27th May 2010, 09:04   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
All four wheels are not drum in Santro (or most cars). The rear ones are drum (they uses shoe), front ones are disc (they uses pads).

Why did they changed the wheel hub (drum as you said)? thats a mystery. As they are quite reliable and never need replacement unless you break the nuts or crack the housing where the shaft goes.
On every brake drum there are two shoes, one of the shoe had broken and it had spoiled the drum with rubbing against it. Mechanics advised me to get the drum replaced as well.

Since brakes are the most critical parts of the car, I didnt mind changing one rear drum. .
Old 27th May 2010, 12:32   #72
Senior - BHPian

Hmm.. Good to see problem being solver Amit, Did you tried inquiring part cost from after-market sources as well ?? Fat margins of the service centers you know..
Old 28th May 2010, 09:49   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Hmm.. Good to see problem being solver Amit, Did you tried inquiring part cost from after-market sources as well ?? Fat margins of the service centers you know..
thanks, just one of the problem being solved. Wonder why some or the other problem is coming in the car despite me maintaining it quite well.

Ashish: brakes are very critical components of the car, I am not confident of getting such critical parts being installed from elsewhere other than Hyundai ASC. For all you know, I got the mirror replaced at ASC too. Except tyres and ICE I ensure all of my work is being done at ASC. They are the ones who have made the car, they know it best to repair.
Old 16th February 2013, 06:15   #74
BHPian

Brake screech on Honda Civic only on last few rotations of the wheel before stopping

Hi BHPians

I am experiencing a problem with the brakes on my Honda Civic (UK version, hatchback). The cars has disc brakes all around. I have replaced all 4 discs and pads around 2 months ago, and the car has done 800 miles on the odo since then. The brake performance is good since then and even now, but after a weekend trip (~250 miles) I can hear a distinct screech from the front right brake when the car is about to stop, lets say the last 2-3 rotations of the wheel. Following are my observations

1. This screech is not heard for the first 2-3 braking events when I set off, it definitely starts after the brakes warm up.

2. No sound at high speed, low speed or sudden braking. I took the car out on private road and braked hard from 60mph down to almost a stop, no sound at all

3. Its only the last few seconds, I hear this screech when the car is coming to a complete standstill

4. No loss in braking performance or brake shudder or change in pedal feel

5. I have checked the discs for any abnormal scratch marks or rust, can't see any. The surface is smooth, uniform wear all across the disc face

Overall the car is in good mechanical condition for a 10 year old car. I don't hear any other squeaks or rattles from the steering, suspension and clutch.

My initial analysis

1. I was reading about this problem on TBHP and other sites and one thing that struck me was brake bedding. I did not do that specifically after I got the brakes changed. The mechanic did not advise me to do anything specific, he said after some miles they will bed in automatically. I read that I should have done that, however if that's a root cause of this problem in any way, why is this problem seen after 800 miles of driving ?

2. I was paying close attention to this and sometimes this sound is cyclic. I mean if I hold the pedal at a position and let the car come to a stop in its own distance, the screech is cyclic for the last 2-3 rotations. So it goes like, screeeech-no sound-screech-no sound...till the car stops. This tells me something stationary is screeching against something rotating at one point only, not the entire disc. Means a bulge or abnormal development on the disc or some bush or bearing ?

3. I was trying to replicate this cyclic screeching today and I could not do that. Sometimes it is cyclic, sometimes it is just an all-the-time screech on the last 1-2 rotations. I am damn confused

Any ideas guys?
What's the best way to move ahead and diagnose this problem ?

@Mods: I could not find any thread specific to my problem amongst some other brake squeal and screech threads, please merge with another thread if I have missed any relevant thread. Thanks.

Last edited by dgupta : 16th February 2013 at 06:16. Reason: Mod note
Old 16th February 2013, 07:26   #75
Senior - BHPian

Re: Brake screech on Honda Civic only on last few rotations of the wheel before stopp

Have you tried copper grease on the pads?

Most Viewed