Team-BHP - Vtec knocking -
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Vtec knocking - (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/18222-vtec-knocking.html)

hi guys need some help.
I have a D16Y8 Vtech.
recently I noticed that the engine has started knocking even on slightest of gradient
1] I suspected the igntion system etc so I changed the plugs,wires,distributor and rotor but still no use
2] Im sure the fuel is 100 % clean as its from Mobil or Chevron

What else could it be ?
1]Could it be its time to get the valve clearances checked by a Honda dealer ? could the incorrect valve clearance cause knocking as it has been a long time since they got checked ..?
2] Also Im suspecting that the guy who fitted my OEM muffler fitted the one from a DX/LX sedan so it may be too restrictive for this VTEC ..
also this new exhaust makes a loud rasping noise even on slight accelaration.
The D16Y8 has knock sensors which retard the igntion timing on excessive load etc..but still I can heasr distince knock from the engine ...
The dealers here are very expensive and I cant afford to go again and again .. so guys plz suggest so I can pinpoint the issue

Do you use the 91 Octance gas? If not try filling that up.

At whar RPM is engine knocking ? are you sure about the quality of fuel ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pankaj401
Do you use the 91 Octance gas? If not try filling that up.

Its not problem of Octane number.
The engine is made for 87 octane and its clean ..its from a mobil gas station in LA

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford Rocam

Its not problem of Octane number.
The engine is made for 87 octane and its clean ..its from a mobil gas station in LA..
Im in California so Im sure the fuel is clean

Quote:

It knocks at @ 2500 RPM onwards also

Get your ignition timing checked & physically check your timing belt for wear.
i dont think its valve clearance issue. you have mentioned about your muffler being replaced by oem one did this problem came immediately after doing that? or it took some time. if you still cant figure it out you will need to check the error code from ecu. i will PM you a link shortly to how to check for error codes & what do they mean.

Quote:

Get your ignition timing checked & physically check your timing belt for wear.
i dont think its valve clearance issue. you have mentioned about your muffler being replaced by oem one did this problem came immediately after doing that? or it took some time. if you still cant figure it out you will need to check the error code from ecu. i will PM you a link shortly to how to check for error codes & what do they mean.

I just got the timing belt replaced 3 days ago.
I have ordered AutoTap already..its a software for OBD2 vehicles ...and its pretty advanced ... but plz send me whatever info u have - I appreciate the help !!
no, the muffler was installed before I bought the car so I cant compare the with the original muffler..
could it be ignition timing ? becoz I have got the distributor cap and rotor recently replaced .. doesn't that process involve checking the timing after installation ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by chetanhanda
could it be ignition timing ? becoz I have got the distributor cap and rotor recently replaced .. doesn't that process involve checking the timing after installation ?

You should have told us that first, anyways get your timing set to factory specs first, should be done using timing light.

Quote:

You should have told us that first, anyways get your timing set to factory specs first, should be done using timing light.

Ok.
I'll take the car to a mechanic to get this checked today. I wont take it to a honda dealer though ...they are super expensive ...
(Just FYI the rotor,distr,plug and wire was done at a honda dealer..)

knocking stopped..
ignition timing was the problem...