Team-BHP - Swift - Fuel gauge indication
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Swift - Fuel gauge indication (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/18224-swift-fuel-gauge-indication.html)

Guys I took delivery of my Swift this Monday.. I filled 10 lts. to begin with.
The fuel level indicator needle hardly rose above E.
I wanted to fill the next load of fuel from a trusted bunk so wanted to know exactly when I would have about 2-3 lts. left...
Since there is no warning light for fuel, how would I know when I need to hit the bunk?
Please advice!!

My experience has shown me that the fuel gauge will generally say any old thing that suits it. So I never wait for it to reach empty, but fill up at least 10 Lts. when it is at the 1st or 2nd graduation from Empty.

When the fuel gauge reaches empty, you are supposed to have at least 5 Lts. left in the tank

Fill her up at your trusted bunk by the second cycle you can be sure that you have good fuel in your car

The Swift's fuel meter gradation is quite misleading, I've discovered. When the needle is around the 50% mark, the tank is really not half full, but much lesser.

Basically, the needle moves very slowly for the first 1/3 starting from E of the meter indication, rises thru the next 1/3 very quickly, and again slows down during the remaining 1/3 as you tank up full. The reason your fuel needle hasnt moved much is also since the Swift's reserve capacity is quite large.

ok guys here is wat i did after reading a few threads here and there..
1. Tanked it up at the shell bunk in whitefield. It reachd cut off but the attendant started to fill her more.. so i told him second cut off..but eventually the level was where i cud see it..
Please someone tell me this was not a blunder!!
2. When it reached cut off the reading on the gauge was 38 lts.
3. I filled her with Shell super... (shell 'crew' told me it was 91 octane and they also tell me the normal unleaded is 87.. topic for another debate?)
[Blunder no. 2?]
let me know your comments guys.. Thanks

As to filling the tank up to where you can see the fuel, I do not think there is any harm in it. All that will happen is that you will bypass the spillover/vent line, leaving no air space in the tank. The next time the car moves, you will lose a bit of fuel through the line. I've done this once and that is precisely what happened to me.

Just fill to the first cut-off and leave it at that.

Re Shell 91, I have never seen it on offer in TVM, but what I regularly use is IOL XtraPremium, always from a single pump. For out of town rides, I just fill it up full and hope for the best.

The only time I needed fuel in an emergency and had to use normal 87 Octane, I got a lot of knocking (??), and the engine suffered from serious lag.

Maruti recommends 88 RON minimum for the Swift.

Swift tank capacity is 43 litres. When the needle is the in the line just about the E line u can rest assured there is 7+ litres in ur tank. At the half tank position I suppose the number of litres that get consumed from the full tank is around 25 and only 8 remains from the half tank position to the line just about E. Hope this helps to refuel ur car. I usually fill er up till the first cut out all the time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anarchist
Swift tank capacity is 43 litres. When the needle is the in the line just about the E line u can rest assured there is 7+ litres in ur tank.

only 8 remains from the half tank position to the line just about E.

That is an interesting observation and probably correct, come to think of it. Explains the rapidly declining fuel level indication just past the half tank mark.

This possibly holds good for many other cars as well, but to a lesser extent.

My experience is that when the needle just pointing to 'E' still there will be 5ltrs of fuel in the tank.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anarchist
Swift tank capacity is 43 litres. When the needle is the in the line just about the E line u can rest assured there is 7+ litres in ur tank. At the half tank position I suppose the number of litres that get consumed from the full tank is around 25 and only 8 remains from the half tank position to the line just about E. Hope this helps to refuel ur car. I usually fill er up till the first cut out all the time.

That is very true. My refuelling frequency is for every 300+ kilo meters. Whenever, I refuel the tank I fill to first cut-off(do not top it up till the lid) and reset the trip meter. For the first 100 kms, the needle will be at 1 or 2 gradations less than Full mark. For the next 100 kms, the neddle will be at 1 or 2 gradations above the Half Mark and for the third 100kms, it will be at 2 or 3 gradations above the empty mark. This helps me to check my FE for every refuel.

And I cant figure out why they have such a weird gauge. Probably to stop people obsessing over FE figures?

Yeah I wanted to fill only till the cut off but that johnny over at shell had begun to fill beyond that before I knew what was happening.. next time ill tell him from before hand..
At the moment my swift is static for the next ten days coz im on vacation which brings me to my next question -
Any probs with leaving the car for 10+ days with full tank???

Once needle points "E" still 5 to 7 ltr fuel will be left, I always top it up once it reaches cut off, top up is always around 2 ltrs, I am using Shell premium which gives really good pick up compared with other trusted bunks in bangalore, this is my experience so far. Swift's Fuel gauge is mis leading for sure, since I always fill full tank always i an calculate FE every single time and its 11.5 without AC constantly. On higways its 16+ always.

Regards,

Ravi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MC Mayank
1. Tanked it up at the shell bunk in whitefield. It reachd cut off but the attendant started to fill her more.. so i told him second cut off..but eventually the level was where i cud see it..
2. When it reached cut off the reading on the gauge was 38 lts.
3. I filled her with Shell super... (shell 'crew' told me it was 91 octane and they also tell me the normal unleaded is 87.. topic for another debate?)
[Blunder no. 2?]
let me know your comments guys.. Thanks

Hi Mayank,

I follow the 1/4 to 3/4 rule...I fill up approx.15 litres when the gauge hits the quarter mark.My Versa runs approx. 210 kms by when the gauge gets back to quarter.Then another 15 litres or so.

I have followed this principle in all my earlier cars(Ambassador,Fiat,Esteem).Tank filling to cut off is not in my list of practices.You lose some fuel if the Tank is to its brim.Fill it max three fourths.

OK.

Today my Swift was showing exactly half-tank (by the gauge), so I went a filled 10 litres.

After that the gauge has risen to just above the 3/4 level.