Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2018, 07:37   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car theft by capturing keyfob signals

This was a video that I recently came across on the different methods. Watch from around the 6-minute mark to see the presenter talk about relay boxes.

Putting the key in a metal container will work. An old tin can or a fancy container with lid can be used a key holder on a chest of drawers to maintain a clean look. An RFID key pouch is also a good idea.

Last edited by govigov : 6th December 2018 at 07:39.
Old 6th December 2018, 07:39   #212
BHPian

Scary! Every convenience factor we get either creates a security issue or creates an environmental issue or a health issue. None of them come free from any of these.

Why can’t we have a simple switch which will power off when keyfob is not required to be used.
blorebuddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 09:55   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
An RFID key pouch is also a good idea.
Yes. My brother presented me an RFID key pouch. I think he bought it from AliExpress. Something as shown in following link - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Pack...924382790.html.
Simhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 10:09   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
Yes. My brother presented me an RFID key pouch. I think he bought it from AliExpress. Something as shown in following link - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Pack...924382790.html.
I bought a similar one from AliExpress and can confirm it works. There are two pockets and keyfob must be in the inner pocket!
Old 6th December 2018, 13:32   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is for storing the key overnight at home right? The car won't start if the key is in the pouch, if I read the description right. Am I correct?
Old 6th December 2018, 13:48   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
This is for storing the key overnight at home right? The car won't start if the key is in the pouch, if I read the description right. Am I correct?
I carry the pouch wherever I go. The pouch fits in the pant pocket. After parking the car, it is recommended to put the key immediately into the pouch to avoid hacking.
Old 6th December 2018, 13:53   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Correct, the pouch arrests RFID signals and the car wont read it even if You bring the key with pouch closer.
Old 6th December 2018, 17:36   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I carry the pouch wherever I go. The pouch fits in the pant pocket. After parking the car, it is recommended to put the key immediately into the pouch to avoid hacking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Correct, the pouch arrests RFID signals and the car wont read it even if You bring the key with pouch closer.
That doesn't help as much because all the guy has to do is to be parked near your car for long enough to record the signal when you take it out of its mylar or whatever pouch and unlock your car. If he's in a busy parking lot, you won't even notice that this is going on.
Old 6th December 2018, 19:17   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
That doesn't help as much because all the guy has to do is to be parked near your car for long enough to record the signal when you take it out of its mylar or whatever pouch and unlock your car. If he's in a busy parking lot, you won't even notice that this is going on.
True that, there is nothing to deter a well-equipped and determined thief.
Old 1st March 2019, 20:35   #220
Senior - BHPian

Re: Disadvantages of keyless engine start systems

Now a government has come up with another reason why keyless entry & go is a bad idea:

Bill To Stop Keyless Ignitions From Killing Drivers Likely To Pass Or Force NHTSA To Act http://flip.it/He1MlT from Flipboard.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2019, 16:15   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

Now that's an easy way to steal a car.

Source - YouTube
Old 16th August 2019, 09:41   #222
Senior - BHPian

A bit off topic, will keeping a mobile phone in the pocket as same as the key less entry fob hamper the key less functionality or spoil the key fob in anyway?
Mobiles are suppose to give off radiation etc which can mess up other electronics or so I have read.

Have any you guys kept the mobile phone in the same pocket as the key less fob and faced any issue? I am not talking about while driving the car but when one is not using the car. while driving the mobile is kept on the center console etc so no worry while driving.

Edit: I have a Swift with a key less system.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 16th August 2019 at 10:01.
Old 18th February 2020, 22:43   #223
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys, I am bit concerned about one of the keys of my Grand i10 Asta (O) car with keyless entry / start.

1. On 8th Feb, my wife went to a nearby market. After reaching there, she called and told me that the car is not locking by pressing the request sensor on the door or keyfob. I suggested her to check if any of the doors is not properly closed. She checked and denied. I was about to leave with spare key but she called and informed that the problem is solved. I just ignored it thinking that door might not be properly closed.

2. On 11th Feb, she was going with my kid for kid's evening class. She pressed the request sensor on the door but the car was not unlocked. She tried unlock button on keyfob but same result. I was watching this from balcony and I asked her to wait and tried it with spare key and it worked fine. She took the spare key and all ok.

So far so good. All indicating that the battery is dead. I asked my wife to use second key as her primary key and there has been no issue with second key since then.

Before changing the battery of the first key, I wanted to check how to unlock (with key blade) and start the car (by touching the keyfob to start button). Next morning, I thought of trying it with first key but first key started working as if nothing happened. There was NO low battery sign in instrument panel. I randomly use this car in the morning to drop the kid school.

Today morning, when I tried to unlock the car, it did not unlock (by request sensor as well as keyfob unlock button). So, it was good time to check "how to use the keyless car when battery dies". I opened the car with key blade it triggered anti theft alarm and the car starting making loud noise as if someone is stealing the car. Then I tried to start the car by touching and pushing start button with keyfob but it did not work. The siren went off in a minute or so. So, I locked the car with key blade and used other car to drop the kid.

After coming back, i tried remote from a distance of 15-20 meter and it locked/unlocked fine.

After coming home, I replaced the battery with a new one. Old battery (CR2032) was showing 2.99v and new battery is 3.22v. Hopefully, it will solve the problem.

But what I am concerned about is:

1. Why did the anti-theft alarm trigger when I opened the car with Key?

2. Why did it not start by pushing the start button with key fob? (The key is covered with a thin silicon cover, could this be the reason?)

I have seen few YouTube videos even of the similar cars (Grand i10s / i20s) (with same key fob) and anti-theft alarm didn't trigger in any of the videos.

The issue was/is surely with the key and not with the car because the car always worked fine with the second key.

I just want to clear my doubts so that I am not stranded on road with same problem occurring again even with a new battery.

Anyone else faced similar problem?

PS: I replaced batteries of both key fobs of my Honda City in a gap of 10-15 days. It properly displayed low battery sign on instrument panel and gave me enough time before refusing to work both times.
mukeshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 10:20   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
But what I am concerned about is:

1. Why did the anti-theft alarm trigger when I opened the car with Key?

2. Why did it not start by pushing the start button with key fob? (The key is covered with a thin silicon cover, could this be the reason?)

I have seen few YouTube videos even of the similar cars (Grand i10s / i20s) (with same key fob) and anti-theft alarm didn't trigger in any of the videos.

The issue was/is surely with the key and not with the car because the car always worked fine with the second key.

I just want to clear my doubts so that I am not stranded on road with same problem occurring again even with a new battery.

Anyone else faced similar problem?
I have a Grand i10 Asta(0) as well. I think sometime in 2018 when the car was 4 years old-the primary key fob worked intermittently (signs of a weak battery). In such cases yes, the alarm would ring when I would unlock the door with the skeleton blade key, and would go off as soon as I pressed the start button with the key fob. This is normal.

If you open the car electronically (with the request button, or key fob button), the alarm is deactivated. When you open it with a key (or a screwdriver for that matter), it gets triggered and set off.

I don't think a silicon cover is an issue. I do believe your primary key is malfunctioning. Mainly, because my primary key was also working erratically for a while at the 4 year mark. I kept it away and have been using the duplicated as the main key for the last 1.5-2years. Your post reminded me, I have been meaning to get the first key replaced at some point from the dealer.

ps - I don't know if there is a key low battery warning on the dash. Atleast I have never encountered it.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Best,
Promit
promit is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 11:19   #225
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
ps - I don't know if there is a key low battery warning on the dash. Atleast I have never encountered it.
It is very much there. This is how the warning appears on the MID:

Disadvantages of keyless engine start systems-img_20190918_1137031200x2133__01.jpg
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks