Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2022, 01:02   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Disadvantages of keyless engine start systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALLURIS View Post
I might need to restart this old thread.

I faced a very critical issue today with keyless entry today.

Since it was an off and we had the luxury to search for the key this instance was handled well, what if we are in a rush and such incidents happen ?
You have described the positive use case of Keyless entry system. Since the key was inside the car, you were able to drive and use the car. If it were a physical key, you couldn't have started the car until you found it.
Old 6th March 2022, 01:32   #242
BHPian

My sister and i were saved because of this. Few years back we were being mugged and as we were outside we couldn't close the door quickly enough before we realized what was about to happen. There were 3 guys on each side holding the doors and and were pulling us out. They had a rod and bat and were trying to snatch my sister's purse which had quite a bit of cash and more importantly passport and other documents which she needed as she was leaving India next day. On my side one guy put his hands to where the key slot is but as it was keyless he could not find any. While I was trying to keep my sis from being dragged out along with her purse, the guy's action reminded me that i could start the car with just button press as the key was in my pocket. Thankfully the car started immediately (Ciaz zxi manual) and i accelerated quickly and they had to let go of the doors. All this happened in a matter of few minutes. It really saved us as they did worse to a group of 3 next week at same location (but got caught immediately).

Last edited by AnandB : 6th March 2022 at 01:34.
AnandB is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 11:54   #243
BHPian

I honestly can't imagine driving a car without push button start.
I don't need to have my keys handy and can keep them in my pocket the entire time. That means less fumbling when getting into the car. I'm just so used to not taking my keys out of my pocket, especially when its below freezing outside.
studentonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 09:44   #244
BHPian

Today wierd thing happened

I was driving and then reached home, handed over the steering to wife as she has to go to office, did not turn off the engine in between.

She took the car and went to office and then realised her key is not there with her. I had my key in pocket and the car was running without key until it's turned off.

I was thinking that the engine will stop after going some distance.

It's VW Passat 2022 Limited Edition model (US)
Old 2nd August 2022, 15:45   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajamass View Post

I was thinking that the engine will stop after going some distance.
In general, at such instance, engine will still be running with giving warning flash for key missing. But once the engine turned off, the vehicle won't start again until the key fob is in the vehicle cabin.

Last edited by yoscenario2000 : 2nd August 2022 at 15:46.

Most Viewed