Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2006, 01:25   #1
BHPian

I think I am bitten by the upgrade bug for my WagonR. Anyways, I have a few questions regarding replacement filters. I am aware of two brands K&N and Ractive. First what is the difference between a replacement filter/Universal filter and a Intake system.

Which one is better?
Do they improve performance? How?
What are the prices for Replacement and Intake from both these brands? I read in shrivz post that he bought the Ractive ev500 for Rs.2300/-, but am not sure whether the price was for the intake system or the filter
Old 23rd October 2006, 22:05   #2
BHPian

Can someone please throw some light on this, please?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 19th December 2006 at 20:38.
Old 24th October 2006, 23:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi hyper-VTEC

between K&N and Ractive I really don't know the difference as i've used only a K&N for my 800.

Replacement air filters from either brands usually mean that you can just replace the existing stock filter by the replacement filters from these brand. i.e open air box...take out stock filter...put in the replacement filter..close air box..its as simple as that. Now more air will flow due to the difference in construction of the stock and the replacement filters (former is paper and the latter is usually cotton)...and also the filter is now washable and in the case of K&N can last upto 100,000 miles.

But the airbox still restricts the air flow so for this you usually have the Universal filters. These are those conical filters you see around. Here you'll have to do away with the airbox and connect the filter directly to the intake pipe.

Coming to intake system...the air filter is just a part(may i say significant part) of it..the entire intake system includes your air box, the pipe that leads from it upto the throttle body along with its associated sensors etc...

As to the question as to which is better..depends
Advantages of a replacement air filter is no modifications required and some increase in the volume of air sucked in. Also eaiser on your wallet!!
Disadvantages - stock air boxes still restrict the air flow a lot.

Advantages of universal air filter
The amount of air sucked in is much more than the replacement air fillter ..so better performance.
However the airbox has to be done away with to fit the universal filters and frankly if you want to get the complete effect get an intake pipe that offers less resistance to the air flow as well. And the universal filters are more expensive too.

Hope this helps
Drive on
shibujp.
Old 24th October 2006, 23:38   #4
BHPian

Thanks shibujp for the extensive reply. I am now clear on the difference between replacement and universal/conical ones. BTW do you have any idea on the price of a Universal for my WagonR?
Old 25th October 2006, 00:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
will a k & n help a qualis in terms of driveablity am getting a replacement filter k&n for it !!
i ask so becoz am being charged a bomb for it somewhere around 5k
is that price justified ???
Ive tried using a conical filter on my sumo(Sideways called me a fool for that ) and wouldnt recommend it.Diesel engines work differently and the qualis which is not an ECU-based engine will not show a noticeable difference.It isnt worth that 5k u're paying.
Old 25th October 2006, 08:49   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp
Hi hyper-VTEC

Also eaiser on your wallet!!
And the universal filters are more expensive too.

Hope this helps
Drive on
shibujp.
Hi Shibujp,

Your explanation is good enough but I would not agree on the price front. A universal conical filter is available from 2k(ractive) onwards & 3k onwards(K&N) whereas stock replacement for some cars would cost more than twice the cost of a universal filter. Now you take a call.

Viper
Old 25th October 2006, 09:09   #7
BHPian

Hi Viper, K&N conical filter is around 3k? I thought it was much more expensive. Wow! i can afford it now! Hehe
Old 25th October 2006, 09:15   #8
BANNED

Hi,

Its 3k for your car. Would reccomend a conical only along with a proper intake pipe.

Viper
Old 25th October 2006, 11:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
Hi,

Its 3k for your car. Would reccomend a conical only along with a proper intake pipe.

Viper
and what would the damage (price) be for having that ?
Old 25th October 2006, 18:23   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
and what would the damage (price) be for having that ?
Less than 4K for WagonR...
Old 25th October 2006, 19:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
Hi Shibujp,

Your explanation is good enough but I would not agree on the price front. A universal conical filter is available from 2k(ractive) onwards & 3k onwards(K&N) whereas stock replacement for some cars would cost more than twice the cost of a universal filter. Now you take a call.

Viper
Yup..guilty as charged.. I generalised based on what I experienced when in the market for my conical filter..

Saajan_20
i've not too sure about K&N and diesel. But i think i've experienced the ECU adjustment as nitrous has mentioned. I recently changed over from a freeflow muffler to a stock muffler. At first i could feel the excessive back pressure when accelerating but as I drove more and more each day the ECU adjusted gradually till I can't feel the back pressure now.

Drive on,
Shibu

Last edited by shibujp : 25th October 2006 at 19:44.
Old 25th October 2006, 20:51   #12
BHPian

Can someone please help me with which K&N filter I should be adding to my 1.2 palio !!
Old 25th October 2006, 21:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

Manish, you can buy a Stock K&N filter for Palio 1.2 (Part No: 33-2793).

Check the K&N website (www.knfilters.com) for details.
Old 25th October 2006, 22:02   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg
Can someone please help me with which K&N filter I should be adding to my 1.2 palio !!
I got a stock-replacement filter done (for my Palio 1.2) at the TATA service place. Ran to 3,500/- approx. Definite difference in driveabilty. Pickup is smooooooother. Now, I'm thinking I should have gone in for an Extreme. :-(

Last edited by hydrashok : 25th October 2006 at 22:03.
Old 25th October 2006, 22:14   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok
I got a stock-replacement filter done (for my Palio 1.2) at the TATA service place. Ran to 3,500/- approx. Definite difference in driveabilty. Pickup is smooooooother. Now, I'm thinking I should have gone in for an Extreme. :-(
Hydrashok, how much were they asking for Extreme? Any idea...?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks