Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2017, 08:46   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Not-so-major accident in Mercedes E-Class. 15 lakh rupees & 6 months before car returns!

Now the picture is very clear. So the insurance surveyor and the dealership have conspired to declare the car a total loss. Thanks for posting on the thread.

Do you have any pictures of the car , taken during insurance survey, apart from the ones already posted here ?
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 09:03   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Not-so-major accident in Mercedes E-Class. 15 lakh rupees & 6 months before car returns!

Hello Soumya, good to see you here since you can clarify things better here and get your queries answered too. Just a few things to share on the safety features part since I am directly associated with a few of these:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumna View Post

If the car had hit the stone at reasonably good speed, the several safety features of the car would have got activated. (Unless they have supplied a car without the much advertised safety features). The most important of these are the active bonnet and airbags. They even talk about some safety features which get activated even without hitting any objects. These are activated if you apply the breaks at good speed.
Active bonnet works when the collision is with a pedestrian. One of the holders of this patent sits beside me in Germany. The sensor is located at the height of the number plate and this is capable enough to detect if the collision is with a solid object like a wall or a relatively softer object like a pedestrian. It can also localise as to where the pedestrian hit the car. However, I doubt this feature came to the Indian versions(I have no idea whats offered locally). In this case, even if it were to exist, it would not have triggered in this case. Even the guy who developed this feature confirms the same.

Same case with the airbags. This is not a case where the airbag will trigger. When you apply brakes at good speed(or if the forward camera can detect some chance of a collision), the feature activated is called Pre-Safe. This basically does the following things:
  • Pre-charges the brake booster(if brake not already applied).
  • Alerts the restraint systems for a possible collision.
  • Flashes brake lights
  • Tightens seat beslts
  • Moves seat to a suitable position(if electric seats are present)
  • Rolls up windows
And a bunch of other stuff, depending upon the features configured to the car.

Quote:
B) There was a clear attempt to make the car a total loss and take it away from us. The first estimate was less than 75% of the IDV and there was no way they could declare the car as total loss. At the time of giving this estimate the dealer had made it clear that the actual bill may be higher or lower than this and they can determine the actual only after dismantling the damaged area.

- this type of collusion between the insurance company and motor vehicle dealers are very common and they have succeeded in making several cars total loss.

- It is a deliberate attempt to demoralise us and increase the storage costs.

If the public is aware of this when you face a similar situation you may be able to act in a informed manner.
This is something which has to be taken up and such practices should be exposed. Definitely not normal. Somehow I smell a rat here, since there could be a nexus between the insurance guy, some people in the dealership(not the dealership alone) and a prospective used car seller.

If this car was declared a total loss, it would have been auctioned to a scrap buyer, who would have restored the car to normal for a smaller cost and sold as a 'Pristine condition' car. This is quite an attractive way of making money in the used car market.

Last edited by audioholic : 1st February 2017 at 09:22.
audioholic is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 09:45   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

These days, some of the dealers work hand-in-hand with insurance company and even have tie-up with agents who buy accident cars. So, as soon as they get an accident car, even before proper assessment, they will send the pictures of the car to the agents with whom they have tie-ups. If there is a demand at a good price for the accident cat, then they will come back to customer with an inflated estimate and try to push the car for total loss because they will get more profit when it is sold to an agent.

During this process, Some times delaying tactics help as some customers will give up after few days or months. This can happen to any brand cars, even a Maruti or a Hyundai. One of my friend faced a very similar issue with his Toyota Etios and it took him 7 months to get the car back after repair work. Overall repair cost was around 2.5L(air bag had deployed).

When my previous car(Dzire) met with an accident, they(Insurance company) had put the car for auction even before the repair estimate was ready, this I came to know later. So, basically they try to loot if the customer is not alert.

And many would have faced similar issues during Chennai flood situation as well.
arun_josie is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 10:08   #64
BHPian

The repairs and replacements may have been carried out in good faith and may be the prices charged by MBIL are justified, but what incidents like these do is wake one from his/her dream!

They just go on to show that no matter how attractive the financing options may be or how discounted the price seem in the used car market, but running them and keeping them in the current scenario is an entirely different ball game.

Instead of buying an E (as an example) may be one is better of buying multiple cars to satisfy different needs!
octane_100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 11:33   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you to the moderators for adding me to the group.
Sorry to hear about the ordeal you and your family went through. And thanks for sharing it.

Quote:
There was a clear attempt to make the car a total loss and take it away from us
Quote:
this type of collusion between the insurance company and motor vehicle dealers are very common and they have succeeded in making several cars total loss
I second this. One of my friends deals in sale/purchase of total loss cars. I also once came very close to buying an year old Duster at mouthwatering price from him. Seeing the cars and the low prices he offers, I always wondered why the owners let their rides go as total loss. This thread is an answer to that and also an eye opener for customers.

Quote:
Amount paid by SBI insurance Rs. 13,73,000
Quote:
I have checked the prices of these parts online and found that it is costing far less outside India. However they dont give us any option to buy the parts and get it repaired.
Can we surely say that insurance companies pay the total bill ? or Do the parts costs same irrespective of who pays for them ? I doubt that.

I want to share an incident related to health insurance. My wife underwent a surgery at a major hospital last year. The treatment was covered by my health insurer. Total bill came around 65k, while waiting for approval I received a text message saying that 30k had been approved. I got worried as to why total amount was not approved. I decided to play unaware and waited for discharge formalities. My wife was discharged without any hassles. I later came to know that insurance providers and hospitals have an agreed rate list for all the treatments. Meaning, cost of treatment depends on who pays for it.

Last edited by Moto_Hill : 1st February 2017 at 11:36.
Moto_Hill is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 13:58   #66
BHPian

I know some one who had a two wheeler rear end his car at the traffic lights and upon visual inspection there seemed no damage at all to the car expect for some rubber marks on the bumper. But when it was inspected in detail at the dealership it was found that the impact had crushed the rear crumple zone although the bumper bounced back.

I believe the very reason that you did not feel the impact or the airbag did not deploy was that the various crumple zones in the car have done their job and need to be replaced as they cannot be repaired. Since you have the bill of materials you could just inspect the parts that were replaced and decide if you were really ripped off.
Old 1st February 2017, 14:13   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you to the moderators for adding me to the group.

I have checked the prices of these parts online and found that it is costing far less outside India. However they dont give us any option to buy the parts and get it repaired.

We decided to bring this issue to the attention of public due to two major reasons.

If the public is aware of this when you face a similar situation you may be able to act in a informed manner.

Also to answer some of the other queries,

1) Akshaya Motors is part of Advaith Motors
I'm sorry you had to go through this. But this is SOP for any kind of ripoff - whether a car or any other item.

Can't add much more to all the comments above.
I can attest to the fact that this very same scam / procedure (?) is followed even if you go to get your M800 fixed (after an accident) at a 'reputed' A S S; except the parts cost a lot less. But the scrap dealer, the estimate and all other elements in this scam remain.

Advaith? - This was the first A S S that stole anything from my Kinetic Honda - (petrol and the automatic choke) - they are still in business selling MBs!

One option not mentioned by others - what would it cost to ship the car to another country, get it repaired and bring it back? [considering the whopping repair bill - this might be an alternative]
Old 1st February 2017, 14:40   #68
BHPian

You are saying the IDV was 23lakh. What would be the depreciated cost of an E250 today? In the used market?
in light of the harssment faced, wouldn't it have been better for you to have taken the idv (I am assuming this is more than the resale value as on date).
In retrospect, you shelled out only 80 grand, so isn't it actually worse for the insurance company than you? Last question: did the service center offer you another car for your daily needs?
Old 1st February 2017, 15:18   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
You are saying the IDV was 23lakh. What would be the depreciated cost of an E250 today? In the used market?
in light of the harssment faced, wouldn't it have been better for you to have taken the idv (I am assuming this is more than the resale value as on date).
In retrospect, you shelled out only 80 grand, so isn't it actually worse for the insurance company than you? Last question: did the service center offer you another car for your daily needs?
I wouldn't let the car go if it were me. Especially since the damage from the pictures aren't that much. If it were a major accident, then the safety measures would have activated as per the OP.

Then, go get a new car of similar stature, you would have to spend 2-3 times the amount you get from the insurance settlement or go the pre-owned route. But whats the guarantee that the pre-owned example you get is a good one or a well care for one? You ineffect are letting a car that you have taken care of all these years. I agree that it has been an onerous 6 months that the family faced.

Now about the scan beneath. Wouldn't the person getting the car for scrap get it forIDV minus the repair estimate? ie, 23 - 18 (revised repair estimate) ?
So, for 5 lakh odd you get a Merc E thats in pretty good share minus the damaged bumper. Please correct me if I am wrong. Not sure how the Scrapping process works.
Old 1st February 2017, 17:21   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Not sure how the Scrapping process works.
Actual scrapping is another headache. You will have to go to an official scrapper to get it scrapped. This involves taking some part of the engine and a getting a certificate from the RTO and getting the registration cancelled.

I think there are threads here that describe the process. As usual this is a pretty complicated process. Plus, you'd have to take the car to the scrapper

Though I have no experience with this, I was looking for a scrapper. In the end someone bought the car dirt cheap and the car was transferred officially to the new owner (otherwise, you will get traffic tickets sent to you).
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 11:15   #71

The repair bill indeed comes as a shock but as many forum members have suggested, the under body damage could not be assessed only by looking at the pictures. In my experience of getting luxury cars like Audi Q7, BMW 730 Ld, Mercedes GL and the current gen 'S' class of my company serviced during the last few years, I always insist to take the estimate before handing the car over. Now here is the trick used mostly by the dealers while servicing/repairing these luxury cars, the fixed costs of any spare parts is the same( but I do check that as well by sending the car to other workshop and take another estimate if needed) however the variable cost is the labour which is a multiple of a basic unit. On many occasions this multiple keeps fluctuating for the same work and It has to be justified or corrected it referencing to the previous invoices by revising the estimate...now that's how the service advisor knows that he cannot manipulate the labour estimate.

I do recall a repair in RR Phantom Aircon in which the just compressor unit replacement was quoted at 4L (though the owner of Delhi RR outlet knew it was our car) and later we'd inquired and got it imported it for 1.5L from United Kingdom(though the whole episode was handled by someone else). Point is this fleecing is not brand specific, even a civic's power steering hose replacement for leakage once was quoted at 90k. But in a situation like this one must have a very good insurance and of course fair amount of luck too to get away.
Digvj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 13:53   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
It is not that easy to get the IDV value from the insurance company, especially when the market value of the car is less than the IDV. In this kind of situation, insurance company will go by the market value only and not by the IDV.

Last edited by arun_josie : 2nd February 2017 at 14:03.
arun_josie is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 23:11   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Well, for me, its quite difficult to believe that it was a minor accident. Albeit no body was hurt in the incident (thanks almighty for that) but looking at the paint smeared on the bumper it seems to have hit no ordinary by-laying stone but a deeply anchored milestone. Any collision with it would indeed result into severe damages.

The case could become much clear, if photographs showing the actual accident spot are also posted. Till then its just one side of the coin that we are looking at.

Agree with Smartcat on your findings and analysis of the case.
King_pin09 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 01:24   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_pin09 View Post
Well, for me, its quite difficult to believe that it was a minor accident.
I agree. By not being upfront and clear about this, I think the whole story becomes somewhat suspect, or at least less credible.

Admittedly, the bill seems rather high, but I think it would have been more prudent to start with the facts and establish beyond reasonable doubt what the real damage to the car was. (not so much in money as in what was broken, needing replacing etc).

Some pictures from underneath the car would have helped. And might have set a very different tone to this whole story.

Jeroen
Old 3rd February 2017, 09:55   #75
Senior - BHPian

What makes me believe that this is a minor accident is,
1. Bumper is one of the lowest part of the car which is near to the ground. If the bumper itself is not damaged anywhere except one point at right, this means, it has to be a stone or similar low height substance which the bumper must have scraped. If the object was too tall, then the bumper would have "HIT" the object instead of scraping. This would have caused higher impact. This does not seem to be the case
2. If the bumper has scraped, then the subsequent parts behind the bumper would have also got just scraped and got damaged. So, there is NO "HIT" from the bottom. If there is no "HIT", then, the chances of parts above the scraped objects getting damaged is very less
3. If there was any "HIT", then the impact of HIT would have transferred to windshield and it should have broken OR Cracked. This has not happened

So, all that has happened is just scrapping of the bottom most parts of the car. So, this is definitely a minor accident and nothing Major

Last edited by gkveda : 3rd February 2017 at 09:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks