Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2006, 17:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

Had a puncture yesterday. While checking the tube, I was surprised to see that it was not round like you'd expect. Instead, it had a massive bulge on one end. I thought my tube was damaged, but the tyre repair guys said this is how OEM tubes are. My car is a Santro XP, and its got stock Bridgestone OEM tyres & tubes.

Anyone have similar experiences? And does anyone know why the tube would have a bulge? I mean, is this normal in OEM tubes or is there something wrong?

Lalvaz
Old 27th October 2006, 04:32   #2

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

on the contrary my tyre repair guy asked me to replace my tube since it had a bulge.
the tube isnt supposed to have a bulge.
Old 27th October 2006, 20:46   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn
on the contrary my tyre repair guy asked me to replace my tube since it had a bulge.
the tube isnt supposed to have a bulge.
I have seen the same on my zen (this was few years back though!... ). But have driven the same (with the bulging tube) for more than 2 years!... didnt have any problems!..

yeah.. that was a bridgestone too!..
Old 30th October 2006, 15:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Hellspawn & Antonichen,

2 contradictory replies. I'm totally confused now. Should I change my tube or not? I guess, I'll check with the Hyundai service station. Car's due for its next service next week. Will keep you posted.

Cheers,
Lalvaz
Old 30th October 2006, 16:10   #5
Team-BHP Support

Well, I really don't think a "bulge" would be an inbuilt feature in a tube! It would probably come about from that section of rubber stretching a bit more than the surrounding rubber. Or if it was an old puncture patch, it would have a bulge around that area.

Either ways, I would go in for a new tube. Its not expensive at all, and why take a risk with the only contact your car has with the road.

Also, when it comes time to change tyres, please make sure you switch to tubeless.
Old 30th October 2006, 16:14   #6
BHPian

carrying this forward, my new Palio 1.6 has got Bridgestone S3 tyres (with tube), how much is the extra cost involved if i go for tubeless?

i enquired from 1 dealer and he says he will replace the set for 2500/-
is that fair? my car has done 1200km till now!!
Old 30th October 2006, 16:24   #7
Team-BHP Support

The Palio 1.6 comes with tubed tyres?

Best you change to tubeless and go up a size in width. Going by other BHPian's experiences, a reasonably priced and good tyre is the Bridgstone GIII's. Ask the dealer his price for those in a 185 size.
Old 30th October 2006, 16:44   #8
BHPian

Have a Santro and ditto problem of bulged tubes however I have to say that those tubes went on to give me service for another 51200kms with just the usual puncture or too... Have now moved on to Alloys and Tubeless
Old 30th October 2006, 19:08   #9
DRC
BHPian

I also encountered the same situation when I needed to replace the tubes for my petra. The dealer showed me a print of a presentation which said it is no problem to use such tyre and it is not a defect. However it insisted irrespective of the shape one must balance the tyres after tube fitment. It also said all manufacturers tubes can be out of shape and no issues still.

I was able to see the same article on Bridgestone's website, but I could not find it now.
Old 30th October 2006, 19:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

Yeah. Once,my stock Bridgestones' tube was defective and looked like a handbag with the huge bulge!
Old 30th October 2006, 21:37   #11

Hi,

The tube bulging is not at all a problem. This happens due to the fact it is made from Butyle Rubber which is a synthetic rubber. While you manufacture a tube the thickness is not evenly distributed and this can lead to a thin part which bulges when infalted.

The same tube functions perfctly good as the tyre casing holds the presure and not the tube.

Butyle tubes are specially made to retain air for a longer time than the natural tubes which were made few years back.

Just do not worry, go ahead and use them. If you do want to change to tube less, cool, go ahead. That is the best .

Ravi
Old 5th November 2006, 12:40   #12
BHPian

Ditto !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravibm
Hi,

The tube bulging is not at all a problem. This happens due to the fact it is made from Butyle Rubber which is a synthetic rubber. While you manufacture a tube the thickness is not evenly distributed and this can lead to a thin part which bulges when infalted.

The same tube functions perfctly good as the tyre casing holds the presure and not the tube.

Butyle tubes are specially made to retain air for a longer time than the natural tubes which were made few years back.

Just do not worry, go ahead and use them. If you do want to change to tube less, cool, go ahead. That is the best .

Ravi
Very well said Ravi It's not a defect at all.When the tyre casing holds the tube in place it's perfectly round,but u tend to overinflate to check for a puncture when outside the tyre and it eventually forms a bulge at it's lightest point. Few tyre companies validate this on teh fliers they give out for customer information/guidance.
Old 7th November 2006, 08:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ravi, Wasava and all the others,

I guess I dont need to change my tubes then. Its just that one is used to seeing a circular tube. Seeing a huge bulge like a handbag just made me nervous.

Glad to know that its normal and I'm not the only one in this situation.
Thanks all for helping me save some perfectly fine tubes and therefore some cash.

Cheers,
Lalvaz
Old 26th November 2006, 13:57   #14
BHPian

hey guyss... talking ab these bulges i have bulges on front tyres.... i am using michelin certis tubeless.. wad do i do should i replace ... is it unsafe..

lemme know at the earliest!!!
Old 26th November 2006, 14:15   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatingdeath View Post
hey guyss... talking ab these bulges i have bulges on front tyres.... i am using michelin certis tubeless.. wad do i do should i replace ... is it unsafe..

lemme know at the earliest!!!
Yes, it is absolutely unsafe. The bulges that you have on your tyres are bound to blow off when you do high speeds or hit another pothole. Be very very careful while driving. Also inspect the tyre from inside when you get it replaced, I am sure there must be a cut in the rubber right behind the bulge. My GIII's had this problem.

Hope this helps.

Most Viewed