Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2006, 20:01   #16
BHPian

I'll,

people drive on right handside to avoid burning a lil more oil by going ahead and taking a U turn on divided roads.

I had this sursprise me once, a bus was troubling me by not lettig me pass, suddenly the bus switches to left lane and there is a tractor coming in opposite direction about less than 50-100 meters from me.
Old 29th October 2006, 22:21   #17
Team-BHP Support

oh ok by right side you mean people driving on the wrong or opposite side of the road.

Yeah that can get to you. its very dangerous and people still do it especially late night and early mornings.
Old 29th October 2006, 23:46   #18
BHPian

Quote:
oh ok by right side you mean people driving on the wrong or opposite side of the road.
I have seen that happening on the Bangalore-Pune section of GQ at speeds in 3 digits and in bright daylight as well as pitch dark of night.
If you happen to be at a distance from the on-coming moron you wonder which side of the road he is on!
And for cities it's a matter of just choice who's on what side!!! :-)
Old 30th October 2006, 22:03   #19
BHPian

In regard to accidents I would suggest drive in a relaxed mode its like you and your mechanical babe spending a decent date. A cool head and a relaxed mind will keep you alof from accidents.
For small dents and scratches, Stay away from:
1) Scooters
2) Rickshaws
3) Children on cycles
4) Children on foot with a coin or stone in their hand
5) Your wacko neighbour in whose parking slot you parked you car
6) An Ex- Girlfriend specially when she sees you with another giShockked:
Well hope you get the pic......
Old 30th October 2006, 22:44   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody
1. Avoid accidents :-)
Another very important thing for avoiding accidents - please use your REAR VIEW MIRRORS all 3 - 2 OVRM's and the IVRM. Have them adjusted correctly .
By using your mirror I mean - USING and not only adjusting correctly. Keep taking quick glances every minute or so in the RVM's. Helps in keeping you informed whats happening behind you and besides you.
Old 30th October 2006, 22:54   #21
BHPian

One more idea...no road rage! If someone tries to overtake you...let them...maybe he is in a hurry, or wants to show how fast he can drive.

I dont understand one thing. Why people feel happy (sometimes give you a look while overtaking) when they speed and overtake another car. Its not his, but the car's good point that it goes fast, not the driver. I mean you push pedal to the metal and your car would go fast, that doesnt prove anyways that he is a better driver. It proves the car is good. HeHe
Old 30th October 2006, 23:01   #22
BHPian

Is it possible in indian traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
Another very important thing for avoiding accidents - please use your REAR VIEW MIRRORS all 3 - 2 OVRM's and the IVRM. Have them adjusted correctly .
By using your mirror I mean - USING and not only adjusting correctly. Keep taking quick glances every minute or so in the RVM's. Helps in keeping you informed whats happening behind you and besides you.
Its tough to practise. ppl in hyderabad think the RVMs are for show, I find them folded in on many vehcles. On top of that you have two wheelers/ Autos/ Pedestrian dropping from sky suddenly appearing right infront signaling a turn or asking to stop, you cant take your eyes away even for a second.

The trainer asks me to switch lanes. While trying to switch to left lane left I look over my shoulders for any one in blind spot. This trainer tells me if you do that you may ram in to some vehicle ahead of you. I laughed at him that time, now I think he was being practical.
Old 5th November 2006, 01:42   #23

Geisterfahrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639
...btw the person driving on wrong side is called Geisterfahrer in German - funny the disciplined Germans have a word for it!
Old 5th November 2006, 14:34   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass
Its tough to practise. ppl in hyderabad think the RVMs are for show, I find them folded in on many vehcles. On top of that you have two wheelers/ Autos/ Pedestrian dropping from sky suddenly appearing right infront signaling a turn or asking to stop, you cant take your eyes away even for a second.

The trainer asks me to switch lanes. While trying to switch to left lane left I look over my shoulders for any one in blind spot. This trainer tells me if you do that you may ram in to some vehicle ahead of you. I laughed at him that time, now I think he was being practical.
I know its hard but its always better to drive using all the RVM's. Atleast you don't have to turn back and see whats happening behind you. After all the RVM's have been provided with a reason.

Here is a thread that has info on how to adjust all 3 RVM's to avoid blind spots.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 5th November 2006 at 14:40.
Old 5th November 2006, 15:13   #25
BHPian

1) avoid accidents: if an accident is imminent,
it's better to hit something stationary rather that something moving towards you.
it's better to hit someething that gives way(something that breaks easily) rather than something solid, and stationary.

i agree about hyderabadi traffic. it is truly chaotic.

Last edited by heelntoe : 5th November 2006 at 15:16.
Old 6th November 2006, 18:56   #26
BHPian

Avoiding accidents...

But before I get to that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalidas
...btw the person driving on wrong side is called Geisterfahrer in German - funny the disciplined Germans have a word for it!
The English language has a word for them also: "assh**es".

As for avoiding accidents:

1. ALWAYS drive defensively...expect vehicles in your immediate vicinity to do something stupid at anytime and without notice and be prepared to avoid the same at all times!

2. Be a "mature" driver always. That means do NOT give in to road rage...do NOT try to be a hero to impress friends (even that 'just once') and when you wanna just enjoy the thrills of a fast drive, or maybe race a friend...make sure you are on a lonely road so that you can really get into 'pushing the pedal to the metal' and enjoy the thrill of the drive without any fear of untoward consequenses.

3. Always be in controll of your car and your ego...

4. And always be PROUD of being a "safe driver" (as opposed to a "fast driver").

With a name like Melody I am hoping (for your sake) that you are a girl...in which case ignore points "2" and the second half of "3"...they are only for us macho males with more ba**s than brains .

Good luck and Safe Driving.
Old 7th November 2006, 16:25   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
1. Anticipate a wrong move by the vehicle in front of you as well as the vehicle coming towards you and anticipate the people walking along the road to dart across the road.
2. Always anticipate negative movements from the other road users. This really helps in avoiding minor mishaps.
3. keep safe distances from Public Transports/Trucks etc when you wait behind them in a signal.
4. Give room for the 2/3 wheelers who are bent on rushing through unmindful of the traffic.
5. Never try to rush through a changing signal. Better to wait for the next turn.
6. While braking, excercise caution & take a look at the rear view mirror to see if there is a safe distance between you & the one following you.
7. While getting out of your car, make sure to look behind & in the side before you open the door.
There are plenty more to say, but i am running out of time. hope others will take it from here. thanks
Nice points EL. I do follow most of the above mentioned points. My personal opinion is if you overdo the above, you tend to be a negative driver & it removes the fun in driving.

Iam trying to strike the right balance, so that I drive safer & also a positive driver
Old 7th November 2006, 17:51   #28
BHPian

Nice to see so many careful folks emerging out of NOS and speed freaks. The best answer to avoiding accidents is to spend more and more time on the road which leads to a greater understanding of movements, and helps anticipation. Controling ones temper helps, but that does not mean letting the whole world overtake you. In fact the best speed is to maintain the general average so that only the rash (or in a hurry) driver has to honk and then get past you. It also helps to know exactly how your car responds to stimuli. You should always be within its limits. On a deserted stretch of road, you could even test the brakes to know how it will react if the car in front suddenly stops. And lastly, always be attentive to the road and the traffic. It usually is a good idea to keep a watch on at least two cars ahead of you.
Old 7th November 2006, 22:15   #29
BHPian

No doubt the occidentals freak out seeing how we folks drive here...they shudder (shaken and stirred too !!) at the idea of driving ....
I drive in delhi whenever I visit and it takes me couple of hours to get adjusted and then I am fine. I keep one finger on the Honk..though it really does not serve the purpose as pedestrians do put ear inserts and it then only adds to cacophony of the city.
So the key is keep your eyes and ear open all the times....
Old 9th November 2006, 11:14   #30
Senior - BHPian

lots of good driving tips on this thread. let me add my 2 cents...
- give buses and trucks a wide berth... their brakes aren't the best, they have huge blind spots, and quite frankly the drivers don't give a damn. remember, they have very little to lose, and you have it all to lose.
- use your horn when you think its needed... while overtaking, turning into corners, backing up etc. this may not seem like civil advice, but keep in mind this is India, and not USA. honking is an absolute neccessity on our roads, given the callousness of the drivers here. of course, try and avoid this in front of hospitals and schools.
- when you brake, keep an eye on your RVM - if the guy behind you is too close, he'll rear-end you. pump your brakes a couple of times to indicate that you're about to stop, or raise your hand outside (an accepted signal). if its a sudden braking situation, go with your instincts... they'll sharpen with experience.
- like many people have mentioned already, be alert at all times, and lean towards a defensive style instead of an aggressive one. but don't be too overly cautious... you'll be eaten alive in indian traffic

hope this helps.
razor

Most Viewed