Team-BHP - query - Maruti Esteem automatic to manual transmission conversion
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   query - Maruti Esteem automatic to manual transmission conversion (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/18560-query-maruti-esteem-automatic-manual-transmission-conversion.html)

Hi Guys,

I am a newbie on this site and also a new bie to cars. I have just bought a my first car. A second hand Maruti Esteem AX MPFI 2001 model.

I wanted some help to understand my car more. Its a nice car gives me a mileage of 9 to 10 in city. I was advised to purchase a second hand gear box to convert the car to a manual version.

The garage fellow from whom I purchased the car took me to a second hand car market place where he showed me a Zen manual gearbox (Don't know how old it is) and said we can fit this gearbox in my car for only Rs 5000. I am in a fix. Should I change to manual gears or should I stick with the autobox. The reason why he is asking me to change is that it will give me good mileage and decent resale value too, also there is a small problem in the current gear box. When I am reversing the car gives a small jerks Jhatkas but when driving straight ahead there is no problem. I fail to understand whether should I change the gear box.

Also wanted to know whether it is true that Zen and Esteem have the same gear box. ????

If any one of you can answer my query I would be really grateful. please:

Note from the Support Staff: Title changed. Please be specific while starting a new thread.

Kailash

It is true that the Zen and the Esteem share the same three speed gearbox. While i have heard people converting auto to manual i wouldnt advise the same.

About your reversing can you please explain to me the problem in detail because i have owned a Zen auto before maybe I can help you

You will need to change the gearbox, the flywheel, the clutch cover assembly and clutch plates, get new gear linkages, new suspended pedal assembly and then get a decently experienced mechanic to fit them all together.
Has been done and works fine. the Zen and the Esteem share the same gearbox housing but the ratios are different.

I would advise that you look for a crashed Esteem which you can rip parts off off.

Its not worth purchasing all the misc parts from the dealer because they can add up quickly.

The points your mech mentioned about FE and resale are valid.

Also note, if its a MPFI the ECU calibration will be different for manual and auto

Moreover, The RC will contain the word "Automatic" in the transmission which will make the prospective buyer to beware.

So from what I get from the post here is that I need to stick to my Auto Box.

Well the problem that I am facing while reversing is that it seems to miss a beat everytime I reverse. It gives you a feeling of stop and go while reversing. I don't know how to explain but it is not a good feeling to be in the car while reversing. It is not smooth and does not operate normally like while driving straight.

Is it true that ECU mappings would be different too. I had today taken the car to an authorised maruti service station and asked them if it is possible to get the conversion done. He said go and purchase a second hand gearbox from Kurla CST (Notorouis Place in mumbai for second hand car parts) and they can fix the same for me.

Please help. How different are the gear ratios between Esteem and Zen. Do you think it is possible to get good FE in the auto box. ???

Hi jyobeb

I am thankful for the information that you and other fellow bhpian have provided me. I wanted to know what is the gear ratios that you have mentioned. How will it effect my car's performance post the change.

Will there be a reduction in the pickup, fuel efficiency, or top speed or all three.

Can you please throw more light on the same.stupid:

kailashnj

Though its said that the FE in an auto box is less than the manual, it really isnt much and depends on how you drive. If you floor the throttle all the time there is no way you will get FE

And yes you can get good FE in an automatic car. Thes best way is to push the throttle gently, get into the final gear ratio as soon as possible and then drive with a light foot. It works well try it.

Dont try the experiments with a gearbox from Kurla CST road. It will ruin an already good car. Stick to the auto else you should have bought a manual in the first place.

One more thing. Maruti authorised service stations dont know anything about automatics. They panic the moment you say your car is an automatic. I'm really surprised at this that they dont know anything despite manufacturing AT cars. About your reverse gear problem, check the transmission oil and change it if required.

And yes ECMs are caliberated different for auto and manual cars after fuel injection came in

hope this helps

Thanks for the info dippy. I have driven one of my friends zen manual and it seems to be so peppy. He said esteem is even more peppy than the zen. But I have a different feeling altogether. It is sluggish just like my dad's indica diesel.

Could this also be a reason for transmission oil change ???

Is it true that even Maruti authorise service centre's don't know how to handle a auto box. Man then it is really a shame. Does anyone know a person who can actually take proper care of the Auto box as I have decided to keep it till I am using it.

How is it that Maruti service centers do not know about auto box? This is suprisingly wierd.
Does it mean that I should not buy auto trans cars at all? I thought it would be good thing to have for clogged roads of delhi - atleast for my dad.

Today Viper contacted me and after talking to him I have felt certain reassurance about the whole thing, I will take the car to him so that he can analyse the entire thing and help me out. I am in love with this community. LONG LIVE TEAM BHP and am proud to be associated with such a forum.

donot just do thats ,i dont think that would be a good option because any minor differences in the gear box will cause a lot of problems like may be pickup,mileage...when it comes to the point of resale value ur RC will be having the engine and gear box specification,so its waste doing that...

Thanks for all the support and directions that you guys gave me. I am happy about the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kailashnj (Post 318939)
Thanks for the info dippy. I have driven one of my friends zen manual and it seems to be so peppy. He said esteem is even more peppy than the zen. But I have a different feeling altogether. It is sluggish just like my dad's indica diesel.

Could this also be a reason for transmission oil change ???

Is it true that even Maruti authorise service centre's don't know how to handle a auto box. Man then it is really a shame. Does anyone know a person who can actually take proper care of the Auto box as I have decided to keep it till I am using it.

Hey - I have a maruti 800 automatic - it's true the guys at Maruti Auth Service Centres are all "screw driver " technicians - most of them don;t know a thing about automatic: Best to avoid them . As for Automatic Service Techs - you'll find a lot of them in your neighbourhood - they can repair / service automatic gear boxes if required ( although they are a few - at least they know how it works)

As for changing your automatic to manual - it would be 100 times better to sell your automatic esteem and buy another with manual transmission : its risky to trust conversion to non-experts as it would be dangerous to drive even with a slightly mismatched gear /clutch car: Do it BUT ONLY IF YOU KNOW YOU HAVE AN EXPERT MECH. TO WORK ON IT.

ohh comeon this is not a G tronic C tronic 7 step M tronic triptronic i dont know what tronic GEARBOX! it is a simple autobox that you get in old school vehicles! so NO ecu would not know if you have switched to a manual one,and there obviously are no different maps for autos and manual boxes in maruti stable (NOT FOR ESTEEM) and yes your mech is right ,you can get a decent old manual for esteem for around 5 grands, and esteem is much more a potent car with manuals.
when you buy a box you obviously get the whole swappable package (pressure plate+ clutch plate+ gearbox) its only about mounting the clutch pedal inside and connecting the nessasary cable. if i were you i would let the mech handle these issues,which are pretty small and daily chores for them

Guys its a 4 year old thread lol :)