Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2017, 15:34   #1
BHPian

Metal:Plastic ratio in cars

Over the past few decades, plastics used in the automotive industry has evolved to such great extent that its no more a cheap stuff but a advanced material that has created a niche for itself.

Found this material on the internet that talks about how manufacturers have been using plastic over the years in the manufacturing of cars and if you notice the newer models on ours roads, its pretty clear on how much of plastics goes into the body panels and how the steel in our cars are shrinking...

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/e2d...af974bd65c.pdf
vinair is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 16:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Metal:Plastic ratio in cars

Interesting read.
I was expecting the proportion to be slightly higher. It's just 10-15% now reading from the report.

I wonder which category would carbon-fibre panels and chassis structures used in sports cars would fall into. They are certainly not 'metallic'.
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 16:35   #3
BHPian

Nice topic to ponder upon. The XUV’s front fenders are completely made up of plastic material. I was in for a surprise when I first came to know about it. Presume XUV was the first Indian manufactured car to use plastic panels as its body shell (Front Fenders).
TorqueTwist is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 09:37   #4
BHPian

The Plastic to Metal ratio has surely risen in the new age cars.

Last year one of my friends had met with an accident. When we got the quote from Insurance company is when we realized, majority of the parts needing replacement were plastic! Details can be seen on the following thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post4035956
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 12:10   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Metal:Plastic ratio in cars

Lighter & cheaper in most applications. We're going to be seeing this percentage only increase with time as more equipment & tougher safety / emission norms are making cars heavier & heavier. Manufacturers will keep looking for ways to save weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueTwist View Post
Presume XUV was the first Indian manufactured car to use plastic panels as its body shell (Front Fenders).
The first would be the Sipani cars. Of course, the XUV500 would be the first popular car to use plastic panels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Last year one of my friends had met with an accident.
You bring up an interesting point. Plastic is more expensive for the owner as it has a higher rate of depreciation. As an example, if an 18 month old car meets with an accident, the depreciation on metal parts will be just 10%. Whereas for plastic, it'll be 50%. One more reason to opt for the zero-depreciation policies .
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 08:40   #6
Team-BHP Support

Re: Metal:Plastic ratio in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

You bring up an interesting point. Plastic is more expensive for the owner as it has a higher rate of depreciation. As an example, if an 18 month old car meets with an accident, the depreciation on metal parts will be just 10%. Whereas for plastic, it'll be 50%. One more reason to opt for the zero-depreciation policies .
A few years ago, a friend of mine crashed his 3 year old X5 without no depreciation insurance. The bill - he had to pay Rs 9 lakhs of the Rs 20 lakh bill
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks