Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2022, 13:03   #406
BHPian

Re: Maruti's AMT woes

Hi,
My brother has a celerio AMT and it is having weird issues.
The car was juddering and jerky and hence the clutch was replaced. However, while driving back home after the service, the car started switching to neutral on its own and occasionally turns off. When this happens, the gear indicator shows a hyphen.

When the car was towed back to MASS, they came back to us saying the AMT unit has to be replaced since the could not fix the TCM module.

Has anyone experienced this before? Is my brother being taken for a ride?
Old 5th March 2022, 14:53   #407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv3k View Post
Hi,
My brother has a celerio AMT and it is having weird issues...

When the car was towed back to MASS, they came back to us saying the AMT unit has to be replaced since the could not fix the TCM module.

Has anyone experienced this before? Is my brother being taken for a ride?
There's a thread by Kenith Almeida that talks about repair rather than replacement.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post5270930 (Explained: How to repair a defective AMT gearbox)

Check this also:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...00-rupees.html (Maruti WagonR AMT Failure | Repair cost of 83,000 rupees)

Last edited by mvadg : 5th March 2022 at 14:56.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2022, 18:35   #408

I just unwittingly parked my swift amt in ignition on mode with gear in “D” mode for 10 mins. Did not notice that the car was in D mode and as hand brake was engaged it was not moving. Did I damage my clutch too much? Anyone faced a similar situation? Or does AMT have some intelligence to release clutch after a while?
Old 10th April 2022, 01:33   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineqq View Post
I just unwittingly parked my swift amt in ignition on mode with gear in “D” mode for 10 mins. Did not notice that the car was in D mode and as hand brake was engaged it was not moving. Did I damage my clutch too much? Anyone faced a similar situation? Or does AMT have some intelligence to release clutch after a while?
AMT disengages the clutch when the handbrake is pulled and there is no throttle input. You did no damage
Sumer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2022, 08:26   #410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumer View Post
AMT disengages the clutch when the handbrake is pulled and there is no throttle input. You did no damage
Are you sure the clutch is disengaged with handbrake? With brakes, it will be but handbrakes are what we use in AMT for moving forward without rolling back on an incline. Which means clutch should be half engaged right? Or am I missing something?
Old 10th April 2022, 09:01   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineqq View Post
Are you sure the clutch is disengaged with handbrake? With brakes, it will be but handbrakes are what we use in AMT for moving forward without rolling back on an incline. Which means clutch should be half engaged right? Or am I missing something?
Try one thing, stop somewhere safe, put the car in D with the brake pressed, engage the handbrake, release the brake, then release the handbrake, the car won't move forward till you press the throttle. The system disengages the clutch in such situations
Sumer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 19:43   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
Raised a formal complaint. Got a call from TSM Chennai. MASS took the car and kept for 3 days to work as per Maruti technician inputs. After few test drives, seems like juddering has almost nil now. The solution given by technician is AMT Clutch Reprogramming/Re-initializing within TCM module. It solved most of the cold start judder and throttle response is as good as new with quick creep function. So, far its good. As per technician, clutch has not wornt out and no contamination observed.
Hi there! Can you please help us all with an update if the AMT continued to perform well. My Ignis AMT is 30K/4 years old and the AMT juddering issues are very prominent especially in heavy traffic.

So the fix essentially is: AMT Clutch Reprogramming? is it same as Re-initializing the TCM? I have seen the TCM Module, it's on the right side if you open the hood. I remember a technician saying that TCM is not to be fiddled with easily. Reset and Update are 2 very different things. Was your reset or updated?

Thanks in advance for help. This insight will same me and many others a lot of time and effort.
Old 16th October 2022, 12:51   #413

Sad to see this happening but when I had purchased my Celerio vxi AMT in 2015, i had been given a fair idea that Indian traffic conditions and frequent bottlenecks will cause the clutch plate to heat and that magnifies the shuddering that one might experience after say 10-15 k kms of city driving. Mine started after 17k, clutch plate replaced then in warrenty.."as a goodwill gesture" I was told in Pune.
Since then once had an issue where in a public parking space, the AMT just failed! I shut off my car ignition, waited for a few mins, restarted and everything was ok. Took it to mass and the y said..nothing to worry about! Hardly convinced me though.
However a few times did have to go for the "reinitialization" but nothing major on the shuddering front.

Fyi: Celerio was the first AMT experiment and folks like me were the first lot of buyers after a waiting period of 3 months. When my clutch plate was changed, the SA told me that Maruti has made changes to the clutch plate to mitigate such premature damage, I guess it was both design and metallurgy. Coz AMT sales are not showing down apparently and people are more inclined towards automatics.

Everything will be okay folks, the Japanese folks get their technology right and India is the most important market for them, as far as sales numbers go imho.
Cheer up.

PS: seen a few rare posts here saying their new cars had amt failures..some AMT units seem to have had programming glitches and Maruti Suzuki being super conscious about their reputation, get it changed without much effort into fiddling with it. So again, any technology has issues, will have issues, have patience and trust the people behind it I'd say.

Hyundai amped up its game and our dear M&M and Tata are following suite. Good times ahead. Lot of work to be done in the design, fit n finish and product feature priorities list I'm sure (no ventilated seats, no follow me home headlamps firt all but freaking sun roof ..in India!). Drives my crazy.

Happy and safe driving y'all.
Old 22nd October 2022, 09:29   #414
BHPian

I'm still not sure where the issue is. Is it a clutch problem, amt hardware or amt software. Since the software has been same since beginning, I'm not sure how that can get selectively corrupt. So inclination is towards amt hardware itself. And clutch goes fine in low traffic situations. So that leaves us with amt hardware wear and tear.

But I could be wrong. Looking for someone to help if they've solved this.
Old 22nd October 2022, 15:30   #415
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhanshu View Post
I'm still not sure where the issue is. Is it a clutch problem, amt hardware or amt software. Since the software has been same since beginning, I'm not sure how that can get selectively corrupt. So inclination is towards amt hardware itself. And clutch goes fine in low traffic situations. So that leaves us with amt hardware wear and tear.

But I could be wrong. Looking for someone to help if they've solved this.
I have done some sort of data collection through the people I know in MASS or ex MASS employees. The commonly faced issue with AMT is with the clutch itself either it fails or becomes too jerky in the first gen AMT in the Celerio, Alto K10 etc. This is especially for those who have used the car in dense traffic all the time.

The second issue but not common is the failure of the oil pump. This pump is now a child part that's available and can be replaced for 3500. Apart from this the actual controller and the valve body rarely fail. The valve body is like an ABS unit and is designed to last really long. The pump wear and tear depends on how frequently it needs to run ie how much of gearshifts and clutch use happens and hence might fail after some time.

Even in my Celerio the initial two clutch discs had juddering within 5k kms but after that it has lasted upwards of 25-30k kms without juddering.

Last edited by audioholic : 22nd October 2022 at 15:32.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 07:25   #416
Distinguished - BHPian

Is this issue of expectations versus reality? Or I am lucky?

Sixth year the K10 Alto still feels fine as daily commute shared between me, my son and DIL.

But then mostly it's non-aggressive and easy driving even in crawling Gurgaon traffic jams.
sudev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 15:43   #417
sgm
BHPian

What is the recommendation for Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) change interval for Maruti AMT, if needed ? Our 2014 Celerio AMT with 40k is giving lot of judders in 1st and 2nd gears. Planning to get the clutch wear levels checked. ATF has never been changed so far.
Old 29th December 2022, 12:27   #418
BHPian

Feeling sad to report this, but my otherwise problem free Breeza ZDI AMT 2019 gave warning lights twice during last road trip.

First time the transaxel warning light came was after 300KM drive on day-3. Light went off next morning and I went on with my trip, only to get the light again after about 200KM. Light went off again after vehichle was parked for lunch break.

I do have minor juddring issue, but I am more concerned on what might create problem in future. Car was purchased with extended warannty and still one year short before the waranty period expiers.

so want to know from experts here, what are my options.

Shall I get the clutch replaced ?
Is it covered under extended waranty ?
Should I upgrade, the thought is there in my mind for sometime but wanted to get max value from this one before moving to next?
Old 8th January 2023, 12:57   #419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhanshu View Post
Hi there! Can you please help us all with an update if the AMT continued to perform well. My Ignis AMT is 30K/4 years old and the AMT juddering issues are very prominent especially in heavy traffic.

So the fix essentially is: AMT Clutch Reprogramming? is it same as Re-initializing the TCM? I have seen the TCM Module, it's on the right side if you open the hood. I remember a technician saying that TCM is not to be fiddled with easily. Reset and Update are 2 very different things. Was your reset or updated?

Thanks in advance for help. This insight will same me and many others a lot of time and effort.
@Vibhanshu - Sorry for late response.
The AMT Juddering issues were back after 6-8 weeks. Again took them to MASS and they just say thats the way it is. Only if the gear shifts are missing or juddering is prominent while running the car they agreed to replace the clutch. Have just accepted and ignoring the juddering now as its only during cold starts.
As per the service record its clutch re-initialize. Hope it helps.
BTW, am glued to the other thread "https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/248935-explained-how-repair-defective-amt-gearbox-2.html" started by @keneida. That DIY is really interesting and would definitely try it.
Old 8th January 2023, 13:01   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgm View Post
What is the recommendation for Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) change interval for Maruti AMT, if needed ? Our 2014 Celerio AMT with 40k is giving lot of judders in 1st and 2nd gears. Planning to get the clutch wear levels checked. ATF has never been changed so far.
There is no ATF in AMT vehicles.
aditya79india is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks