Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2010, 16:48   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
How did the service center tell you that the clutch plate and bearings are gone. Did they dismantle the clutch?
I was not there, I just left the car & returned home. They called me to give the estimate.

I got a call from them now, saying the clutch plate, the bearings etc.. has been changed. As I had an extended warranty, I would be paying abt 5.4K, with the 3rd service charges included.

I would collect the car tmrw mrng & I would attach the bill here.
Kindly let me know, if there is anything I have to keep in mind?
Old 8th March 2010, 11:36   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.cs1 View Post
Dear Sujay, I think ideally you should be releasing the accelerator completely before pressing the clutch.
Cool. But shouldn't it be just high rev sound rather than jerking ?
Old 8th March 2010, 13:40   #153
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn12 View Post
I would collect the car tmrw mrng & I would attach the bill here.
Kindly let me know, if there is anything I have to keep in mind?
No updates yet!

Doesn't it have a hydraulic clutch? An air bleeding may have solved the problem that you have mentioned.

Now it is too late!

Put up the bill, please!
Old 9th March 2010, 15:24   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

No updates yet!

Doesn't it have a hydraulic clutch? An air bleeding may have solved the problem that you have mentioned.

Now it is too late!

Put up the bill, please!
Sorry trrk, just forgot should do it by tomorrow
Old 10th March 2010, 10:55   #155
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujai View Post
I am trying to understand whether I am doing it wrong or car is having some issue. My Fiat Punto these days is giving jerks when I press clutch before I release accelerator completely( while shifting from first gear to second gear with AC on). If I release accelerator completely and press clutch, it doesn't jerk at all.
New car? You just need to get used to its engine and torque characteristics. Drive her some more, you'll get the hang of it.
Old 10th March 2010, 19:11   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
New car? You just need to get used to its engine and torque characteristics. Drive her some more, you'll get the hang of it.
8.5 months old. Jerking issue started 2 weeks back and till then pressing clutch was always smooth no matter when A/C is on or accelerator is not fully released
Old 28th March 2010, 07:41   #157
BHPian

I faced a issue yesterday in my Fabia , The car did not move freely in 1st Gear and Rpm rose to 3000.
Had difficulty in engaging in 2nd gear also.
After 5 mins drive the problem was not there.
I droved again after a 15 mins halt and there was no problem.
My question what can be issue as I had difficulty intially in engaging 1st and 2nd gear initially , is it a clutch issue or something else.
Car has run 5000kms.
Old 29th March 2010, 12:24   #158
Senior - BHPian

While driving different cars, you would have observed that play position for clutch is different for every individual cars. Some cars move even if we slightly release the clutch & some will move only upon releasing 80-90% of clutch..does this position have any relation to the wear and tear? Apart from lubricating the clutch cable, any preventive service can be done for the clutch's which has reached a point where it loses its smoothness but with no jerks
Old 30th March 2010, 00:35   #159

impact due to no downshifting?

Sorry if this is off-topic but just wanted to know if this driving style causes any problems including gear or clutch wear:

When I am speeding at say 60 km/hr, and notice some traffic obstruction or speed bump little far away where-in there is no need to brake hard, I depress the clutch, bring the car to neutral gear to let it slow down naturally until the car reaches the speed bump or obstruction. And then start up shifting based on the speed of the car, by directly slotting the gear to 1st or 2nd (or even 3rd if the obstruction is gone). I don't downshift the gears all the way to 1st gear or neutral and then upshift again. I do this quite often during my drives. I feel some advantages of this style are smooth/jerk free drive due to no downshifting and probably better fuel economy (i know this is debatable) due to lesser gear shifts. Ofcourse the judgment of which gear to slot-in at what speed is crucial here. But is this kind of driving style ok?
Old 30th March 2010, 09:24   #160
Team-BHP Support

Driving style has a bearing. I have never had to change a clutch in my car until last week. That too at 40000km. I attribute it to my car's earlier life.

Have not gone through entire thread. There are two sets of problems

1: If clutch is slipping and a loss in power - clutch friction plate is shot. Replace immediately else you will damage the flywheel. Good smooth driving prolongs this

2: If clutch is getting hard to engage or gear shift is getting notchy - the pressure plate is to blame - the finger springs are losing their tensile strength. Will happen earlier if used in stop start traffic. First check clutch linkages and gear selector linkages before taking action

Additionally, if the car makes whirring noises when depressing clutch - it could be the release bearig. You could solder on with this as long as you driven carefully.

Once you open clutch - you will need to replace all components. Once fitted - expect the benefits like smooth shifting, easier operation and power traction to kick in after 200 km once everything has bedded in.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2010, 19:38   #161
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Once you open clutch - you will need to replace all components. Once fitted - expect the benefits like smooth shifting, easier operation and power traction to kick in after 200 km once everything has bedded in.
That is just done mostly to offset the labour costs involved in bringing down the clutch.

I just changed the broken clutch fork in my Marina at 60500kms. All the other components were found healthy and were not changed.

The car is running nicely 7000kms later.
Old 30th March 2010, 20:49   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Its (Fiat Punto) done 6700 kms so far and the issue started recently . Also the jerking is when I engage the clutch especially the first time I engage the clutch every day morning (once the car starts moving in first gear and reaches around 2k rpm).

Last edited by Sujai : 30th March 2010 at 20:58. Reason: Adding car model
Old 31st March 2010, 07:15   #163
Senior - BHPian

here's a snap of my recently replaced clutch. I've just done 30K so far.
Does this look worn out ? and how can one tell?
About clutch wear & replacement-img_0398b.jpg
Old 31st March 2010, 09:28   #164
BHPian

I got the clutch plate of my M800 replaced after 35000 to 40000km. So far the M800 has clocked 89600km. Attaching the photos of the totally worn out clutch and the flywheel. The clutch was so worn out that it damaged the flywheel too.
Attached Thumbnails
About clutch wear & replacement-dscf5595.jpg  

About clutch wear & replacement-dscf5597.jpg  

Old 31st March 2010, 10:45   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbalachandar View Post
Sorry if this is off-topic but just wanted to know if this driving style causes any problems including gear or clutch wear:

When I am speeding at say 60 km/hr, and notice some traffic obstruction or speed bump little far away where-in there is no need to brake hard, I depress the clutch, bring the car to neutral gear to let it slow down naturally until the car reaches the speed bump or obstruction. And then start up shifting based on the speed of the car, by directly slotting the gear to 1st or 2nd (or even 3rd if the obstruction is gone). I don't downshift the gears all the way to 1st gear or neutral and then upshift again. I do this quite often during my drives. I feel some advantages of this style are smooth/jerk free drive due to no downshifting and probably better fuel economy (i know this is debatable) due to lesser gear shifts. Ofcourse the judgment of which gear to slot-in at what speed is crucial here. But is this kind of driving style ok?
This is a grossly wrong practice and needs to be corrected ASAP. Did you develop this on your own, or did someone suggest this to you ?

Your car should never be in the neutral gear when in motion.

If you need to slow down, gently tap the brakes. Downshift, if required.

Theoretically, if the car is in neutral while in motion, it is still idling and consuming fuel. I don't think that by doing so, you would be improving your FE.

It is outright dangerous to have the car in neutral while in motion because you have no control over the vehicle (except braking). You also loose the benefit of engine braking in case of an emergency braking situation.

Rohan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks