Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2014, 19:53   #286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_edge View Post
Guys, need help.

My 2008 WagonR on flat road behaves well and clutch press also seems decent. When in last trip I drove it on slops, where at 30-35kmph speed on second gear, I found clutch quite hard to press. is this normal? Does this need any kind of checks?

Currently my odo. is around 55K. Also I don't see other issues on flat roads and speed to engine revv. seems normal. Appreciate any advice on this.

Regards
SE
That is definitely not normal. My 2007 wagon r has done 87k and I don't remember the clutch going hard when going up and down slopes. To get to anywhere from my home I need to negotiate a couple of steepish slopes to get on/off the highway and haven't faced this issue.
Do get it checked out by your fng, it could just be some small fix but better to have it done quickly before it turns into a bigger issue.
Old 21st March 2015, 12:37   #287
MSC
BHPian

re: About clutch wear & replacement

Is it possible to adjust the settings of faulty clutch cable adjustment in Hyundai Santro Xing?
I mean is it possible in the D-I-Y manner ? In my Santro Xing the adjustments of clutch cable keeps getting disturbed. Every time the mechanic eould put his hand deep down the engine bay and the problem gets solved instantly only to reappear after 60 odd kms of driving .
Old 29th March 2015, 18:29   #288
Senior - BHPian

General clutch related question : Do clutch disks have friction material riveted on both sides ? The flywheel facing side must of course have friction material, but how about the side facing the pressure plate ?

Last edited by sdp1975 : 29th March 2015 at 18:31.
Old 29th March 2015, 18:50   #289
BHPian

Yes the clutch plate has clutch friction facings on both sides for gripping the flywheel as well as the pressure plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSC View Post
Is it possible to adjust the settings of faulty clutch cable adjustment in Hyundai Santro Xing?
I mean is it possible in the D-I-Y manner ? In my Santro Xing the adjustments of clutch cable keeps getting disturbed. Every time the mechanic eould put his hand deep down the engine bay and the problem gets solved instantly only to reappear after 60 odd kms of driving .
If you look underneath the engine near the clutch housing you will find a cable with a wing nut attachment. This is the clutch adjustment nut. The mechanic is just turning the wing nut by hand and presumably this nut is somehow turning back after some use. Tell your mechanic the problem and ask him if he can lock the wingnut. One way would be the double nut method. 2 nuts tightened against each other to lock them up. You can of course do it yourself but you would need the correct size of nuts.

Last edited by Eddy : 29th March 2015 at 20:02. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!
Deepak K Gupta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2015, 07:35   #290
MSC
BHPian

If you look underneath the engine near the clutch housing you will find a cable with a wing nut attachment. This is the clutch adjustment nut. The mechanic is just turning the wing nut by hand and presumably this nut is somehow turning back after some use. Tell your mechanic the problem and ask him if he can lock the wingnut. One way would be the double nut method. 2 nuts tightened against each other to lock them up. You can of course do it yourself but you would need the correct size of nuts.[/quote]

Thanks a lot dear. Never knew adjustment of clutch play is such a simple step.
Just now adjusted clutch myself and finally I could have just the right clutch play as I always desired.
As for the repeated loss of the clutch settings, I just found that adjustment nut was having very slight lateral movement. I think the nut outlived its life as the car has already crossed 95 thousand kilometers . I think replacement of the nut should fix the problem for once and for all.
Thanks once again.
Old 5th May 2015, 12:19   #291
BHPian

Hey guys. Just came back from a road trip. During the trip I unfortunately drove into a narrow stretch (following the navigation map) which turned out to be a dead end. The stretch was approximately on a 40 degree incline and was so narrow that I couldn't turn the car around. So I had to reverse the car against the slope and when I did for about a 150 meters or so, a burnt smell was coming out of the car (inside as well as outside ). So I suspect it could be the clutch burning since I had to ride the clutch on an upward slope in the reverse gear.
I drove for nearly 400 kms post that incident and haven't smelt it again nor did I notice any behavioral change in the transmission /acceleration and no abnormal revving in the car.
The car is just over 7 months old and has done just around 4k on the odo.
Need your advice on whether I should get the clutch assembly checked immediately or can it wait till the next scheduled service which is 5 months hence.
Old 5th May 2015, 12:46   #292
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-go-man View Post

I drove for nearly 400 kms post that incident and haven't smelt it again nor did I notice any behavioral change in the transmission /acceleration and no abnormal revving in the car. The car is just over 7 months old and has done just around 4k on the odo.
Which car is this BTW?

If you aren't experiencing the smell of any untoward behavior now a days and it does well then nothing to worry IMO.

The smell that you had noticed would be momentary due to excessive load on the clutch due to the incline + reversing.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 13:24   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-go-man View Post
The car is just over 7 months old and has done just around 4k on the odo.
Need your advice on whether I should get the clutch assembly checked immediately or can it wait till the next scheduled service which is 5 months hence.
I've had my share of clutch burning and smoke while reversing up a sharp incline in Ooty and half clutching - although it was less than 150m. I did not face any problems later, so there's no need to worry if you don't see a problem.

Checking the clutch assembly for wear/damage to the disk is not possible unless the bell-housing is opened, and that's usually done during replacement. The only way is to drive the car around and see if there's any slippage, hardness etc.
sdp1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 14:07   #294
BHPian

Wagonr vxi clutch gone @ mere 2600 km ???

Hello guys,

I've been recently experiencing some shudders and jerks when I switched from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 2nd and released the clutch. (sometimes while shifting from 3rd to 4th). The feeling is same like in a old bus. When driver shifts gears the bus jerks/shudders.

I searched all the threads regarding the clutches and came across one test proposed by a fellow Bhpian who said "shift to 3rd instead of 1st and release the clutch and If the car moves then the clutch is gone"

I did exactly the same 10 minutes ago and to my horror the car is moving

When I release the clutch and hold it halfway like we do in the 1st gear normally without accelerator input the car is moving forward. (slight hesitation in movement like it goes ___--____-__ the dashes indicate smooth movement and the -- indicates lite vibration).

When I release the clutch completely then it stalls.

Experts please help me.

Did my clutch die at just 2600 km?? I'm disappointed,shocked,frustrated,helpless,gone mad and feel like crying

I was about to submit a review about the car in April (10th month mark) but I've stopped it for good and I want to rectify this issue first.:
Old 6th May 2015, 14:51   #295
BHPian

Re: Wagonr vxi clutch gone @ mere 2600 km ???

If you are slipping the clutch i.e. as you refer to as 'holding it halfway' the car may crawl. If you are slotting the transmission into 3rd and then upon releasing the clutch the car stalls then its normal.

Maybe some issues with the gears engaging, inspect the clutch cable and adjust if needed. If the clutch is gone then it wont just be the 2nd and 3rd gears affected. Also, are you new to driving? Is someone learning on this car?

In any case, the car being new is still in warranty, but need to rule out any abuse subjected to the clutch by the driver
hothatchaway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 15:04   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod_freak View Post
Did my clutch die at just 2600 km??
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
In any case, the car being new is still in warranty, but need to rule out any abuse subjected to the clutch by the driver
Do not worry at all. As hothatchaway said, get it checked at MASS and they will definitely replace it under warranty if there is any issue. My first new car (year 2005) was an Alto and I used to abuse it really badly. The clutch gave up in less than a year and MASS replaced the same without any question.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 15:06   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod_freak View Post
Hello guys,

Did my clutch die at just 2600 km??
Seems unlikely.
Pls. do not take any adhoc tests like driving a car in 3rd gear and deducing your car clutch is fried.

I have a Wagon R and have seen my car crawl even in 3rd gear. I am still on stock clutch and my odo reads 74917 kms.

My clutch is still good for another 10K kms or so.
Pls. get the clutch cable checked. Also, they do a setting for clutch in the engine bay. Get that requested.

Dont worry, 2600 kms, all the above will be done FOC. BTW, Pls. do not tell the ASC that "you" think your clutch is fried.
Let them come back with a solution or else, they may for sure try to get the clutch "overhauled" for a car that's just 2600 kms old!!
arnabchak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 15:40   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Seems unlikely.
Pls. do not take any adhoc tests like driving a car in 3rd gear and deducing your car clutch is fried.

I have a Wagon R and have seen my car crawl even in 3rd gear. I am still on stock clutch and my odo reads 74917 kms.

My clutch is still good for another 10K kms or so.
Pls. get the clutch cable checked. Also, they do a setting for clutch in the engine bay. Get that requested.

Dont worry, 2600 kms, all the above will be done FOC. BTW, Pls. do not tell the ASC that "you" think your clutch is fried.
Let them come back with a solution or else, they may for sure try to get the clutch "overhauled" for a car that's just 2600 kms old!!
Thanks for the reply. when I drive other cars I don't feel that shudder or sudden jerk but with my waggy it is evident. I'll get it checked next month as it has to go for 3 free service because it will be completing 12 months (or is it done at a 2 year mark?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Do not worry at all. As hothatchaway said, get it checked at MASS and they will definitely replace it under warranty if there is any issue. My first new car (year 2005) was an Alto and I used to abuse it really badly. The clutch gave up in less than a year and MASS replaced the same without any question.
Sounds comforting that I can get it replaced if its fried within a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
If you are slipping the clutch i.e. as you refer to as 'holding it halfway' the car may crawl. If you are slotting the transmission into 3rd and then upon releasing the clutch the car stalls then its normal.

Maybe some issues with the gears engaging, inspect the clutch cable and adjust if needed. If the clutch is gone then it wont just be the 2nd and 3rd gears affected. Also, are you new to driving? Is someone learning on this car?

Thanks for the reply. No, I'm not new to driving (I've been driving cars since a couple of years). Also, no one is learning on my ride but yeah I sometimes give it to friends as they want to drive. When I sit beside them I see that they aren't slotting the gears and pressing the clutch properly as I feel heavy jerks. when it happens I immediately tell them to drive properly. (They don't drive often and ride mine when they meet me). I don't like anyone else drive my car but "Friendship" comes in way
Old 9th October 2015, 00:00   #299

Right from day one, my Hundai i20 diesel clutch has been acting funny when shifting gears. It was purchased in December 2012 and in the present day, the odometer shows 46567.

The service is always done through Hyundai ASS in Ghaziabad but going by the general opinion, Hyundai ASS around this area ends up being namesake only!!

When shifting gears upwards i.e. from 1 to 2 and likewise - car jerks ahead quite unnaturally. The clutch feels hard and sometimes when moving the car in back gear, the gears get cranky/jammed for few seconds.

Yesterday, when I took the car to ASS they advised me to get the clutch replaced with a new one and cost will be approx. 20k+.

Is it normal and should I go ahead with the replacement? Will the issue get resolved afterwards? Or is there someway to get the issue diagnosed fully first and then moving accordingly?
Old 9th October 2015, 08:36   #300
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceKnocks View Post
Right from day one, my Hundai i20 diesel clutch has been acting funny when shifting gears. It was purchased in December 2012 and in the present day, the odometer shows 46567.
I'm surprised you tolerated the problem till 46k kms, have the service centre ever raised the jerk issue until now? If they haven't its surprising. There is no doubt that there is some problem with the clutch, since you have driven close to 50K kms its also almost certain that more than half the life of the clutch has been covered (on average here, people change at between 60-90k depending on road conditions), of course many have crossed the 6-figure mark too effortlessly but very rare.

More into the problem, its quite possible that replacement & correct fitment of clutch assembly should easily resolve all issues stated above including hardness of pedal. Did they mention anything about master/slave cylinders being part of clutch overhaul? If no then those 2 parts should be inspected for proper functioning as well. Also, by cranky/jammed reverse gear do you mean grinding/friction before fully engaging?

Most Viewed