Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2007, 17:17   #61
BHPian

Cluch wear can be identified by a soft clutch as well as the increase in the free period travelled by the clutch.
Old 23rd October 2007, 12:29   #62
BHPian

i can feel clutch slip in 1st gear, are these symptoms of a bad clutch plate ? and i get to the mechanic every month to adjust the clutch , it gets loose soo quick,wat can be the problem?
new clutch plate running since 22k kms ..
Old 31st October 2007, 12:38   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
Hi Vid,

You just described what I experience in my alto sometimes, i have told about it here (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post572633)
I raised it as a issue with the MASS when i gave for service last month, but since the issue is not predictable was not able to show a demo for the service manager, they told they will look into it, but the problem persists still. But if you press the clutch immediately after releasing in 1st gear the problem lessens. But I agree its a embarrassing situation to be in. the passengers sometimes think you are a novice driver learning to drive.

Anand.S
Just did some googling on this clutch judder only in the morning or when cold. Came up with interesting info. for this:

Quote:
On certain mornings condensation will build up on the flywheel for the same reasons that a cold bottle of milk from the fridge will quickly be covered with condensation in a warm humid room. This condensation together with slight wear in the dual-mass flywheel bearing causes the judder. As soon as the flywheel is warm and the clutch friction material is dry the clutch works OK.
So experts, is there any solution to this??

I tried slipping the clutch a little more in the morning and the judder subsided faster than normal.

source:Tyresmoke.Net: Fly wheel and Clutch replacement?

Clutch Judder - Toyota Owners Club - UK Toyota Car Club

Fierce clutch judder
Old 31st October 2007, 15:26   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranpashtakar View Post
Zappo
Does this work on an incline as well, Not too sure since the retardation from the incline will limit the speed and hence stall the engine.
Then you are back to square one you either ride on clutch or the brakes
I too have the same view.
Old 31st October 2007, 16:05   #65
BHPian

Good find there Vid6639, but I have faced this problem even in the blazing afternoon heat here in Chennai as well as in the cool evenings. So for me the quest still continues. But the point googled by you is a interesting one nevertheless.

Anand.S
Old 1st November 2007, 09:27   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
Good find there Vid6639, but I have faced this problem even in the blazing afternoon heat here in Chennai as well as in the cool evenings. So for me the quest still continues. But the point googled by you is a interesting one nevertheless.

Anand.S
In which case it could be due to contamination of the clutch fluid as mentioned in one of the links.

In my next service I plan to replace the clutch fluid and bleed the entire system as well as get the slave cylinders checked.
Old 14th November 2007, 08:33   #67
BHPian

problem in shifting car into 1st gear!

hello friends.. please help me! i own indica turbo.. 42000 km running..since past couple of days.. i have been facing problem in gear shift.. only 1st gear. when car is standstill..i can put it in first gear .. no problems.. but if car is in motion and i have to shift gear from 2nd to 1st say in traffic .. i cannot.. it just doesnt go.. and i have to actually makecar stand still to put it into gear again. kindly help!

for the moderator..i really have no idea wher i can put this post of mine.. so put it in closest relevance.. thnks
Old 14th November 2007, 10:41   #68
Team-BHP Support

You need to get the gearbox checked, esp the bushes etc., this does not sound like a clutch problem, but a gearbox related issue. But then I could be wrong. Get it inspected from a good mechanic
Old 14th November 2007, 11:25   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khadoos baby View Post
hello friends.. please help me! i own indica turbo.. 42000 km running..since past couple of days.. i have been facing problem in gear shift.. only 1st gear. when car is standstill..i can put it in first gear .. no problems.. but if car is in motion and i have to shift gear from 2nd to 1st say in traffic .. i cannot.. it just doesnt go.. and i have to actually makecar stand still to put it into gear again. kindly help!

for the moderator..i really have no idea wher i can put this post of mine.. so put it in closest relevance.. thnks
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease donot put car in 1st while moving. IMHO. How long you have been driving?
Old 14th November 2007, 13:40   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_pinkoo View Post
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease donot put car in 1st while moving. IMHO. How long you have been driving?
I think there is no problem in shifting to gear 1 if the speeds are below 10 kmph. In a slow moving traffic (read crawling ) gear 1 driving becomes an absolute must, else one would be riding the clutch on gear 2 (Which is not advisable at all).
Old 14th November 2007, 14:02   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

If your engine is labouring in 2nd, you must change down to 1st. While moving. Yes, of course no problem.

Please do not engage reverse gear while the car is moving forwards!!!!!!
Old 14th November 2007, 20:06   #72
BHPian

thnks

hey vivek u r from gurgaon.. i m sure u r very well aware of metropolitan peak hour traffic.. and i m sure some times u must b shifting to 1st gear on roads than keeping ur car in 2nd gear and puttin more stress on ur clutch ( practically half clutch driving)... and if u r not... then i think u must start afresh .. erasing ur previous driving style... no offence.. just a reply and frank thought.
hey guysthnks.. i ll chek it rite away and ll get back to u with the problemsolution... thnks
Old 14th November 2007, 23:45   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

I specifically remember being shouted at by my driving instructor for slipping the clutch in 2nd: "Clutch control in first only"
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2007, 12:55   #74
BHPian

got it consulted

hey.. i went to tata worskhop and got my car checked.. he told me that clutch plate needs to be changed and also something called as pressure plate too.. bush is fine.. i guess at 42,000 isnt it too early for clutchplate to give way! i own palio,accent and a honda city.. all of them have covered 30,000 + km and none of them suffered this problem.. also he gave me estimate of around 7-8 grands to solvethe prob.. and the local mechanic gave me an estimate of 3-4 k.. damn.. wat a difference.. !
Old 15th November 2007, 13:08   #75
Senior - BHPian

KB - Make sure that when you're replacing the Clutch assembly that you replace Clutch Plate, Pressure Plate & release Bearing at the same time. Using one or more old components to save some money can prove to be much costlier at a later time. It is always advisable to change all 3 components at the same time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks