Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2010, 10:03   #121
BHPian

I am trying to find an RCA of an event, please share your thoughts

Scenario -
During a steep climb on extermely rough terrain (filled with big stones ) the car driven in a 'slow, stop and go' manner to avoid underbody scraping. So all the way to the top of the terrain the clutch was used by de-clutching(half clutch) to obtain more power and sustain momentum and eventually the car was driven upto the peak of the terrain. Terrain distance = approx 500 meters.

Symptoms - Slight smoke from the engine bonnet, later gears not engaging. So car was cooled down as it was slightly overheated(little above 1/2 on the gauge) and started after a while. The gears engaged and clutch pedal released, but vehicle moving at abnormaly slow speed, speed almmost negligible.

Cause - Obvious problem with the clutch. But to what extent the clutch assembly would have been damaged, is what I would require inputs from everyone here.

Please provide your inputs as soon as you can

Last edited by s3va : 16th February 2010 at 10:18.
Old 16th February 2010, 11:24   #122
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Ive faced a similar situation thrice in the Scorpio - twice in the hills while reversing up a slope. Half clutch and pressing down on the accelerator for juice - so that the vehicle has enough power to climb up the hill in reverse. Since the road was a narrow track, I was forced to drive up extremely slowly also avoiding stones and rocks etc. The surface also had a lot of wet grass, so there was some skidding, with the rear wheels losing traction now and then. Also once at one of the hotels in Bangalore where the gradient on the parking ramp was very steep and I had to climb up and then reverse into my parking slot. It took a bit of managing since the turbo takes some time to spool up and provide the necessary thrust, so that the Scorp moves its large bulk forward!
There was a slight smell of burning rubber from the front of the car on each of these occasions - the clutch was certainly getting fried up a bit.
However, so far I ve done 25000+ kms on the Scorp without having done any adjustments or any other work on the clutch and it is as smooth as ever.
Indeed the workshop people remarked that the clutch was in excellent condition - nice and soft. Possibly because in normal city and highway use I never ride the clutch under any circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3va View Post
I am trying to find an RCA of an event, please share your thoughts

Scenario -
During a steep climb on extermely rough terrain (filled with big stones ) the car driven in a 'slow, stop and go' manner to avoid underbody scraping. So all the way to the top of the terrain the clutch was used by de-clutching(half clutch) to obtain more power and sustain momentum and eventually the car was driven upto the peak of the terrain. Terrain distance = approx 500 meters.

Please provide your inputs as soon as you can
Old 16th February 2010, 11:57   #123
BHPian

@shankar.balan

But this vehicle is not moving at all now, when the gear is engaged and the clutch released ! So my limited knowledge says clutch has gone for a six. But what i would like to know is, does the entire clutch assembly require a replacement or can this be fixed by replacing just those plates that were jammed etc etc
Old 16th February 2010, 12:11   #124
jav
BHPian

Is the clutch activated via cable or hydraulic pressure? if its cable then first try adjustment if not then definitely clutch is worn and will need replacement.

I am not sure about the entire clutch assembly i think it comes as a clutch replacement kit
Replacing only plates is not recommended as it may cause vibration problems
Old 16th February 2010, 12:45   #125
BHPian

jay. It is hydraulic
Old 16th February 2010, 13:01   #126
jav
BHPian

I dont think hydraulic clutch can be adjusted, i guess the clutch has fully worn out
Old 16th February 2010, 13:04   #127
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

bad show man
i think the clutch has completely died on you.
in the old days in the Amby etc, it could have been a broken rear axle, but that kind of thing hardly happens in more modern vehicles.
Basis your posts you will probably have to tow the vehicle to the garage and have them replace the entire clutch setup.
Expensive game this.

Quote:
@shankar.balan

But this vehicle is not moving at all now, when the gear is engaged and the clutch released ! So my limited knowledge says clutch has gone for a six. But what i would like to know is, does the entire clutch assembly require a replacement or can this be fixed by replacing just those plates that were jammed etc etc
Old 16th February 2010, 15:11   #128
BHPian

Yes indeed the vehicle was towed later. Fortunately it had the road side assistance coverage that was included when the vehicle was bought. Else we would have had to shell out Rs.30/km to the towing guy.

The reason for me to ask the above queries was to ensure unecessary part changes that the dealer may suggest for his benefit.
Old 16th February 2010, 15:40   #129
jav
BHPian

Forgot to ask but which car and which dealer have you taken it to, do let us know whats the estimate
Old 16th February 2010, 15:54   #130
Senior - BHPian

Symptom - Vibration of the car in the first gear start in the mornings during cold start. This problem is not occurring when either the car engine is hot or when I start the car after 11 am in the morning. This is not evident or occurring while taking reverse after starting in the morning.

What could be the problem?
Old 16th February 2010, 16:22   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav View Post
Forgot to ask but which car and which dealer have you taken it to, do let us know whats the estimate
Civic, 10-15k for the clutch
Old 16th February 2010, 19:21   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Civic, 10-15k for the clutch
Hey Siva, sorry to hear that.
Old 16th February 2010, 22:17   #133
BHPian

Laluks..since you own a civic, do you know by chance can this be covered under warranty ? I know due to traction loss 140 bhp doesnt do any good on a steep terrain. But what else can be done with a car with such low GC to avoid any underbody damage other than slow on the steep terrain and then take try to use the power to regain momentum. Now I feel the underbody damage would have been cheaper than repalcing the clutch !
Old 16th February 2010, 23:55   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Laluks..since you own a civic, do you know by chance can this be covered under warranty ? I know due to traction loss 140 bhp doesnt do any good on a steep terrain. But what else can be done with a car with such low GC to avoid any underbody damage other than slow on the steep terrain and then take try to use the power to regain momentum. Now I feel the underbody damage would have been cheaper than repalcing the clutch !
Warranty - I doubt.

I had a similar experience near Kadri temple in Mangalore. Escaped that somehow, was a very steep gradient, and I just slotted to first gear and removed the clutch completely and accelerated. Even then she climbed too slowly. So was the gradient. That was the only time I felt she losing her steam.
Old 17th February 2010, 01:35   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Symptom - Vibration of the car in the first gear start in the mornings during cold start. This problem is not occurring when either the car engine is hot or when I start the car after 11 am in the morning. This is not evident or occurring while taking reverse after starting in the morning.

What could be the problem?

I had exactly the same problem with my Fiat Petra 1.6. The engine shivered when it was cold. After 10 or 15 mins there was no issue
I thought it has something to do with clogged injectors as it stopped after the engine heated up.
Gave the car for throttle body and injector cleaning. The technician called up that there is also a leak from the clutch slave cylinder. Got it replaced and after letting the engine cool down totally went for a small drive. There were no engine shivering
So please check for the same in your car as well

Most Viewed