Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2007, 15:01   #31
Team-BHP Support

I think my Lancer's clutch needs to be replaced. It's done 56K kms mostly in city traffic. The car is 7 years old.

While driving I need to slip the clutch a little more especially at lower speed after engaging second gear or while starting off on full load.

Also early mornings when it's cold the car just refuses to change from 1st to second gear.

The gear shift is now requiring more effort and it doesn't slot in easily.

Any other signs specific to lancer for clutch wear, there is no shudder whatsoever.

Do I have to change only clutch plate or full assembly as well as pressure plate and all?

Should I get the gear box also checked or is it definitely the clutch.
Old 18th January 2007, 11:34   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Another sign of clutch wear is excessive jerking/shuddering when you release the clutch in 1st or second gear at a low speed.

But will it depend on the clutch setting/clutch play ?

And also will it depend on the BHP of a vehicle ? A Omni & Corolla will be having different power output when the clutch is being released in the 1st gear on the same surface and hence different initial takeoff speeds.
Old 18th January 2007, 12:13   #33
BHPian

Clutch test.

Engage third gear.... and release the clutch slowly.... engine should stall!!! Clutch has to be replaced incase if the car moves comfortably!!!! This is a common test the mechanics do!! Try this and post the result!
nikkibike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2007, 12:56   #34
BHPian

@Lukeskywalker,
Please check the clutch bushes (I'm not too sure whatz it's technical name) between the master and the slave, I feel this is the issue, I got my clutch bushes replaced @44K on my Omni, till date no problem and it's covered 23K after replacement. Bush replacement is a tedious job and labor is lil expensive.
Thanks,
../Mega
Old 18th January 2007, 13:07   #35
Senior - BHPian

My esteem's run 36K kms... when i powershift... the tacho for eg. will show 3k or 4k rpm but the engine is powerless and takes time to deliver... is this a sign of clutch slipping? there is no instant power delivery...
Old 18th January 2007, 14:04   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibike View Post
Engage third gear.... and release the clutch slowly.... engine should stall!!! Clutch has to be replaced incase if the car moves comfortably!!!! This is a common test the mechanics do!! Try this and post the result!
hehe.. This test will surely fail on a Palio 1.9D.. .. Even a brand new Palio 1.9D will move smoothly from standstill in 3rd gear !!
Old 21st January 2007, 23:22   #37
BHPian

@ Vid, Try to get the Clutch Bled and Adjusted. 56 K seems less, Unless depending on Driving Styles, My lancer will turn 7 in March and odo is 70,000 and clutch is fine, Although I replaced the Clutch Bearing at 65,000 due to Clutch-Engine Seal Oil Leak.
I do Concur with the Gear Slot Issue, Lancer has a smooth gear box, Never any issues with Gear change, but when the seal was replaced, The Gear Box was removed and refitted, After that I did feel a slight change in Gear Slotting particulary First, I had consulted with the Advisor and got the fluid refilled and there has been improvement.

Last edited by wolfinstein : 21st January 2007 at 23:24.
Old 21st January 2007, 23:29   #38
Team-BHP Support

So there was oil leaking? was it visible? ill try the bleeding. it also feels a little rough engaging. it's been mostly in traffic and chauffeur driven so i was suspecting i need to change it.
Old 21st January 2007, 23:46   #39
BHPian

I had got an STP Flush done for the first time ever at 65,000 KM and then after a day, I noticed engine oil leaking, Turns out that the Clutch-Engine Seal needs to be replaced, got that done...Clutch bearing was replaced, Since I was advised to get it done now that they have it opened up, than to get it done later.
Gear became hard since they drained the Gear Oil and Removed the Gear Box, The gear oil has been topped up and the shifting is better..!
Since Mine is Self Driven, I cannot really say much- But try the Adjustment...!

Last edited by wolfinstein : 21st January 2007 at 23:47.
Old 23rd January 2007, 06:58   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibike View Post
Tried this test and found to be very much true on almost all the new breed of vehicles.

But when I tried that on an some old diesel vehicles, it moved with some judder. Is that because of the natural higher low end torque of the diesels ?
Old 25th January 2007, 11:55   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Tried this test and found to be very much true on almost all the new breed of vehicles.

But when I tried that on an some old diesel vehicles, it moved with some judder. Is that because of the natural higher low end torque of the diesels ?
Good to know that you have checked it!!
Well.... for diesels its a different story due to thier torque characteristics!! In diesel vehicles you can easily makeout a weak clutch by another technique.... engage first gear....apply brake.... release the clutch slowly and see whether the engine stops immediately or not!! Engine stops as soon as the transmission is "engaged"!!! Instead if you are able to prolong the stalling even after the "engagement" it is having a weaker clutch!! simple!!
nikkibike is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2007, 21:07   #42
BANNED

Your clutch could have failed due to a lot of reasons . basically it is got to do with the driving style. Most of the drivers have the habit of half clutching ,istead of chaning to the correct gear . Some drivers have the nasty habit of shifting into the top geear and crawiling through the traffic using the cluth . Another problem is placing the foot on the cluthc pedal ,some may argue that the clutch never gets engaged ,but if there is no play in the clutch pedal ,and the car is being drivwen through rough roads ,without the drivers consience the pedal gets depressed slightly and this may result in a premature failure .
symptoms of clutch failure are :shuddering when the car is being driven from a standstill position .

loss of engine power .

High fuel consumption

while going uphill sometimes ,you can feel the burnt smell
Old 9th February 2007, 01:29   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
My esteem's run 36K kms... when i powershift... the tacho for eg. will show 3k or 4k rpm but the engine is powerless and takes time to deliver... is this a sign of clutch slipping? there is no instant power delivery...

Could be the clutch, big possibility...However, injector cleanup would be highly recommended.

Engage your hand brake and try to move the car in 2nd gear from stand still at around 2k rpms...if the car engine doesnt bog down immediately after the clutch has been released it could be a worn clutch!!!
Old 23rd April 2007, 13:10   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

My NHC (August 2004) has done 43000 KM.
Any idea how much more the clutch plate should last?
I will try starting the car in 3rd gear to see if engine halts immediately or not.

Any other test to check if the clutch plate is still OK ?

With NHC-iDSI, when I am at 80KM/HR in fifth gear, RPM is 2500. If this changes, can I infer that the clutch plate is slipping and needs replacement? How much should the RPM differ by at 80 KM/HR in 5th gear to doubt it on the clutch plate?

I don't think the Honda delear staff is sincere and knowledgeable enough. Hence need advice here. Thanks.
Old 27th April 2007, 01:54   #45
BHPian

wat exactly is riding a clutch ? I have been driving my new Swift Ldi for a couple of days. I noticed that during start off in 1st gear, car almost lunges forward even when i take special care not to strain the car.its still in run in period.Completed 240 kms. sometimes in stop go traffic at red lights and when i have a car in front , after engaging first gear i need to lift only half clutch so that car does not rush forward. Sometimes i also do not press accelerator and just lift the clutch so that car keeps moving forward slowly.

Is this harmful ? if yes then what should be done ?

Most Viewed