Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2007, 09:19   #46
BHPian

What if the clutch pedal feels funny...! No shuddering and Gear shift issues, Just need to take a Higher RPM on Lower Gear- Could it be the Clutch- 70000 Km clocked on the Lancer..!

Seems like Somebody din't like my last post- Now even I'm in clutch Voes..Vid Help yaar..!

Last edited by wolfinstein : 27th April 2007 at 09:23.
Old 27th April 2007, 09:26   #47
Team-BHP Support

On my lancer I cant shift at high rpm's or lower rpm's. I need to shift around 2k-3krpm. Else you really need to force it in. I am not able to do quick upshifts, have to let the rpm come down till I feel the gear will slot in.

Also early mornings when cold the gears dont fall in easily.

The HM guys dont seem to understand on adjusting the clutch.

Are all the cars having hydraulic clutch which cannot be set? I know my alto has a cable type clutch which you can adjust by tightening or loosening some cable.

Anyone knows the Lancer clutch assembly?

for me 60K on the clutch.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 27th April 2007 at 09:28.
Old 27th April 2007, 10:22   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Could be the clutch, big possibility...However, injector cleanup would be highly recommended.
Thanks for the reply Ritesh. But i know for sure my injectors are not dirty as i regularly use Iftex System G along with unleaded fuel.

Sometimes the car shudders when i start from standstill i.e. when revv's are low..... (without engaging the ebrake)... and I feel its the clutch wear. will get new clutch plates soon. No more redlining on every gear...
Old 27th April 2007, 10:31   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by austere_sly View Post
after engaging first gear i need to lift only half clutch so that car does not rush forward. Sometimes i also do not press accelerator and just lift the clutch so that car keeps moving forward slowly.
I think your torquing about the torque
Old 27th April 2007, 10:57   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
On my lancer I cant shift at high rpm's or lower rpm's. I need to shift around 2k-3krpm. Else you really need to force it in. I am not able to do quick upshifts, have to let the rpm come down till I feel the gear will slot in.

Also early mornings when cold the gears dont fall in easily.

The HM guys dont seem to understand on adjusting the clutch.

Are all the cars having hydraulic clutch which cannot be set? I know my alto has a cable type clutch which you can adjust by tightening or loosening some cable.

Anyone knows the Lancer clutch assembly?

for me 60K on the clutch.
doooooode!!! synchronisers!!!! get the gearbox checked!! Also check whether the clutch need minor skimming!!
Old 27th April 2007, 11:07   #51
Team-BHP Support

gear box checked. found to be ok. clutch seems to be the culprit. but HM aren't helping. they say it can be changed if i want but are not sure it's due to the clutch. they say the clutch seems fine. They say there is no need to adjust anything in the clutch.
Old 27th April 2007, 11:17   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
gear box checked. found to be ok. clutch seems to be the culprit. but HM aren't helping. they say it can be changed if i want but are not sure it's due to the clutch. they say the clutch seems fine. They say there is no need to adjust anything in the clutch.
I still believe its something wrong with "synchronisers" of gearbox ; since your trouble relates with rpm! Due to unknown reasons, there are many cases where the clutch sticks to flywheel/clutch plate for 'a bit' more when you press the clutch!! This disturbs the whole drive system while shifting gears! In that case a minor flywheel/clutch plate skimming will slove the problem!! In this case, the clutch will be healthy in all other aspects! The funny act of clutch master cylinder wud be the last troubler!
Old 27th April 2007, 13:10   #53
Senior - BHPian

Vid,Y do U want to go to the HM guys when U have a 6 year old Lancer.
Try to get help from Psycho.
Old 6th May 2007, 10:03   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Vid,Y do U want to go to the HM guys when U have a 6 year old Lancer.
Try to get help from Psycho.
Nitrous, it's a company car so the servicing has to be with the HM dealers. i have no choice in that sadly.

Also wanted to know if the lancer's clutch is hydraulic and for adjusting the play does it need to be bled?

Or is it cable and just adjusting the tension will do.
Old 23rd May 2007, 14:17   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
wat exactly is riding a clutch ? I have been driving my new Swift Ldi for a couple of days. I noticed that during start off in 1st gear, car almost lunges forward even when i take special care not to strain the car.its still in run in period.Completed 240 kms. sometimes in stop go traffic at red lights and when i have a car in front , after engaging first gear i need to lift only half clutch so that car does not rush forward. Sometimes i also do not press accelerator and just lift the clutch so that car keeps moving forward slowly.

Is this harmful ? if yes then what should be done ?
Riding the cluch is pressing the clutch and having it depressed half way to the bottom in slow moving traffic either in gear 1 or 2.

There is no problem with your car. Swift diesel has a high torque hence your car lunges forward in 1st gear. Release the clutch slowly and do not accelarate much.You will see the car doesn't jump.
Old 23rd May 2007, 23:13   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Riding the clutch is pressing the clutch and having it depressed half way to the bottom in slow moving traffic either in gear 1 or 2.
So if the clutch is fully depressed, then it won't be riding the clutch ?
Sometimes 'riding the clutch' situation is unavoidable. What the beat that can be done.

Which is more harming for clutch ?
Usage of half depressed clutch over small periods of time or using it for large period but only once.
Old 24th May 2007, 16:24   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which is more harming for clutch ?
Usage of half depressed clutch over small periods of time or using it for large period but only once.
Both are harmful. It is best to avoid/minimize both. Drive on Gear 1 and go to Neutral with Break/Handbreak usage. This comes by practice. In slopes Handbreak usage sometimes becomes unavoidable.
Old 18th August 2007, 12:21   #58
BHPian

Lately after driving my 4000 km done esteem for about 30 mins the clutch becomes rough. The release is not as soft as it should be. What could be the prob ? I feel a little roughness and screatch kinda feel when releasing the pedal. Any idea guys ?
Old 21st October 2007, 08:12   #59
Team-BHP Support

My Alto has developed clutch judder. But the judder is not always there. When I start the car in the morning or in the evening when going home. The first 2 times I start from 1st gear there is judder. After 2-3 shifts the judder completely disappears.

The car only judders in 1st gear when you start up after a few hours. The judder goes away after 2-3 shifts.

If the clutch was worn out it would always judder in 1st and not just in the morning or when cold.

My car has done 13,500kms and the clutch assembly was replaced at 2800kms under warranty.
Old 21st October 2007, 11:56   #60
BHPian

Hi Vid,

You just described what I experience in my alto sometimes, i have told about it here (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post572633)
I raised it as a issue with the MASS when i gave for service last month, but since the issue is not predictable was not able to show a demo for the service manager, they told they will look into it, but the problem persists still. But if you press the clutch immediately after releasing in 1st gear the problem lessens. But I agree its a embarrassing situation to be in. the passengers sometimes think you are a novice driver learning to drive.

Anand.S

Most Viewed