Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2008, 15:42   #91

I had faced no problems with my Jan, 2006 Alto LXi's engine, clutch or gearbox until yesterday. I have done roughly 20600 kms over the last 2 years and I have recently serviced the vehicle as prescribed when it had completed 20000 kms.
Last evening, while starting off from a red light, I depressed the clutch pedal to shift into 1st gear and found that the clutch pedal felt distinctly different. For starters, there was no resistance offered to my foot by the clutch pedal as before. The zone within which the clutch would otherwise be engaged has substantially reduced. Even in the limited zone where the clutch was operating, the pedal felt spongy.

The car's pickup in the 1st and 2nd gears had reduced tremendously. I felt that I had to release the clutch pedal rapidly to get the car moving quickly. In the null zone between where the clutch was engaged and totally released, I felt a slight vibration on my shoe's soul from the pedal. Then again, I could get the car into motion from a stationary state by releasing the clutch and not using the accelerator at all.

Perplexed by this new weird phenomenon, I called my dealer's service line and the guy at the other end asked me to bring in the car for a check up at the showroom this morning. First the sales rep who had attended to me when I bough the car said that there may be a problem with the clutch adjustment. Then the service rep told me that there was something wrong with the clutch and would require it to be replaced. Having no other option and fearing that not replacing it may cause further damage, I have asked him to proceed with the repairs.

I now wonder if this is really true? How could the problem start all of a sudden without any prior indications? I don't believe that I ride the clutch while driving. I do however, spend at least some time in traffic each day on my way to work and back.

Even if something is wrong in my driving style, what would that be? Please advise so that I may work on eliminating any wrong practices I may be indulging in.

I have been driving since 1999 and this has been the first clutch failure I have experienced. Have there been any concerns raised earlier about the quality of the Alto's clutch in the past?

I remember Vidy facing a problem with his Alto much before the warranty period had expired.
Old 5th February 2008, 20:32   #92
BANNED

you can feel the loss of power. the engine may be rising but the car doesnt move as you accelerate.

There would be slight jerk when you engage and release first gear

Hill climbing and overtaking would be mamooth task..

If you find any of these qualities, then its time to change clutch cover assembly
Old 6th February 2008, 11:08   #93

Okiedokie! It seemed quite similar to what you have mentioned.

I didn't try overtaking too much or driving up any inclines of course because I was being cautious. They are taking their time with replacing the clutch. I was initially told that they would deliver the car this morning, but I haven't heard from the service advisor yet. So I guess it isn't a small deal.

Cheers and Thanks anyway!
Old 9th March 2008, 00:03   #94
Senior - BHPian

My friends was driving his baleno and he did a couple of wheel screetches,about 2 half clutch runs in 2nd and 3rd.
After that he stopped the car,started the car,put it in first gear,released the clutch and the vehicle did not move forward.The engine kept revvin with hardly any moment.He floored the accelerator and the car moved a little forward.At 6000 rpm it was moving at 2 kmph.
Checked the cluch cable and it was working and it had not broken.
Is this a completely burned clutch?
Or is it a broken oil seal seeping oil into the clutch and hence no friction?
His clutch and pressure plates are around 8000 km old
Old 1st June 2008, 00:51   #95
BHPian

I have been experiencing power loss since the past couple of weeks in my OHC.

The cluth has to be released nearly to the end for the car to start moving and I have to drive with a heavy foot and slip the clutch a lot else it can stall (not that I ever let it stall till now).

I want to know weather the clutch needs replacement and how exactly should I identify the same. I tried to check if the car is running the same speed at the same RPM like before, and well it does. Like on 4th gear at 2k RPM the speedo is at 60 like it used to be before I experienced this problem so I'm confused if it's actually a clutch problem.

I can very well make out that the clutch releases a lot further than before and I can surely feel pick up is going down but not sure how to identify properly.

Please advise!
Old 1st June 2008, 10:40   #96
Senior - BHPian

Get it checked and get adjusted the play in the clutch pedal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
I have been experiencing power loss since the past couple of weeks in my OHC.

The cluth has to be released nearly to the end for the car to start moving and I have to drive with a heavy foot and slip the clutch a lot else it can stall (not that I ever let it stall till now).

I want to know weather the clutch needs replacement and how exactly should I identify the same. I tried to check if the car is running the same speed at the same RPM like before, and well it does. Like on 4th gear at 2k RPM the speedo is at 60 like it used to be before I experienced this problem so I'm confused if it's actually a clutch problem.

I can very well make out that the clutch releases a lot further than before and I can surely feel pick up is going down but not sure how to identify properly.

Please advise!
Old 7th December 2008, 22:27   #97
Senior - BHPian

Constant adjusting needed on 800's clutch cable.

Hi
my 97' m800 's (done 28,340 kms) clutch cable needs to be constant adjustment every now and them.Most of the time i adjust the cable by turning the spring located at the end where the cable is attached to the transmission case.But i find that the clutch feels springy after driving around 10-15 kms.I know the clutch is not at fault because i do not feel any judder,jerks or loss of pwer etc but if i replace the cable ,will this problem be solved?Will the new cable also come with the spring thing which i mentioned above.

Thanks
Old 7th December 2008, 22:41   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hi
my 97' m800 's (done 28,340 kms) clutch cable needs to be constant adjustment every now and them.Most of the time i adjust the cable by turning the spring located at the end where the cable is attached to the transmission case.But i find that the clutch feels springy after driving around 10-15 kms.I know the clutch is not at fault because i do not feel any judder,jerks or loss of pwer etc but if i replace the cable ,will this problem be solved?Will the new cable also come with the spring thing which i mentioned above.

Thanks
Dude! changing the cable will solve your problem. Cost is just Rs.85/-. But the spring will not come with it.
One more thing before you go out and change the cable. How do you set your cable with spring. The correct way is to set the two bolts at the end of the cable.

checking clutch without opening the GB is easy it has been posted here numerous times. (the handbrake way)
Old 13th December 2008, 01:51   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivanoj View Post
you can feel the loss of power. the engine may be rising but the car doesnt move as you accelerate.

There would be slight jerk when you engage and release first gear

Hill climbing and overtaking would be mamooth task..

If you find any of these qualities, then its time to change clutch cover assembly
Exactly the same problem with my Swift petrol. Adjusting the clutch release help?

When you say clutch cover assembly, does it include clutch plate, pressure plate and bearings? I was told by one of the members that upgrading to Exedy stage 1 is the best solution than changing the OE clutch again and again (for Swift since it has weak clutch as mentioned in one of the threads). Is this the best solution? Some advise on stage 1 clutch required. I asked this question thrice in other threads, no answers!!! guys
Old 6th January 2009, 14:31   #100
BHPian

Accent CRDI Clutch Overhaul

Guys,My car has just done 50K. I am having difficulties changing the gear. Its not smooth anymore & the pickup in 2nd gear has dipped. I have checked the car with Hyundai Electra workshop (in OMR). They have confirmed clutch needs to be overhauled & the expected cost is about 11k. Looks like the Master & Slave cylinders are perfectly OK. My question is...1) Is the price OK?2) What will be done or for what am I paying 11K?Please let me know as I am planning to get this done next weekLuke
Old 6th January 2009, 18:07   #101
Senior - BHPian

Luke

Ask them for a breakup as the amount seems a tad high if the Master/Slave cylinders are fine.

You can also inquire outside for Clutch Assembly + Release bearing and add upto 700-800 Rs labour.
Old 17th January 2009, 11:05   #102
BHPian

Hello Guys, I own Santro 2001 model. I recently went to Hi Tech, Borivali, Hyundai ASC to get fuel injectors cleaned up, who informed me that I need to replace clutch plates and entire assembly costing Rs. 8500/- as there is clutch slipping & missing!! However I checked with local mechanic, who informed there is no such problem and no need to replace clutch. My santro has done 45K on ODO and last service was done in Sept 08 from Shreenath Hyundai, Jogeshwari, Mumbai.

Please advice what could be the issue and also how I identify if clutch needs replacement?
Old 17th January 2009, 13:39   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashutosh View Post
Hello Guys, I own Santro 2001 model. I recently went to Hi Tech, Borivali, Hyundai ASC to get fuel injectors cleaned up, who informed me that I need to replace clutch plates and entire assembly costing Rs. 8500/- as there is clutch slipping & missing!! However I checked with local mechanic, who informed there is no such problem and no need to replace clutch. My santro has done 45K on ODO and last service was done in Sept 08 from Shreenath Hyundai, Jogeshwari, Mumbai.

Please advice what could be the issue and also how I identify if clutch needs replacement?
Hi,

How many KMS has your car done? If it is mostly used in stop and go traffic in Mumbai, a 7 year old car just may have a problem. Clutch problems gradually occur over a period of time and it is difficult for a daily driver to realise the drop in performance.

The 1st sign of a failing or slipping clutch is a higher fuel consumption or low mileage/litre.

Not sure if your car has a tacho but then some people are known to map a certain engine speed to road speed in a particular gear. Hence the 2nd sign is a lack of power and pick up with the car refusing to go above a particular speed. This is most obvious whilst driving in the hills with teh A/C and a complement of passengers.

Suggest you take the car to another Hyundai dealer for a 2nd opinion.

Cheers!
Old 21st January 2009, 12:03   #104
BHPian

face a similar problem in my getz as well it has 34k on the odo. i guess there is something wrong with hyundias sourcing of clutch plates. i personally feel that there is nothing wrong in my driving habits cos my zen has clocked 98k without replacement, my OHC has clocked 60 k and the safari that i recently sold had 133k on the odo ,though the clutch was repalced at 110k.
Old 25th November 2009, 16:19   #105
BHPian

Hey,
I own a santro xing 2003 model, it has clocked 77K kms +.
From the last service, i am noticing that the engine is over-revving. due to which i change gears earlier. However, gears are engaging smoothly and fine. no slipping or anything.
Please advice if this is a clutch wear or some engine tuning problem.

And also how much does it cost to replace the clutch?

Cheers
Abhi

Most Viewed