Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2017, 19:38   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Chassis number / VIN has gotten completely rusted

Quote:
Originally Posted by rreddy18 View Post
Please let me know what options I have. The car has no problems except the rusting at a few places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
This area is a structural part and it is available as a spare from Maruti. Since it is available as spare the Maruti ASS can take care of stamping the VIN on freshly replaced part. So VIN is not the issue here but the amount of work to make this car roadworthy again before its sold. Along with the upper piece fender apron may also need to be replaced which they can only confirm after thorough inspection.
^^ This is the right solution and a straight forwards option, might cost you about 20 grand but well worth the spent. Speak to your workshop on the stamping part and go ahead with the job.

As far as corrosion is concerned mostly twigs and dirt clog these areas and water collects starting corrosion. Other issue is MUL sheet quality and thickness itself, which is notorious for attracting rust. Does this car gets washed on a daily basis?
Jaggu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th April 2017, 19:47   #17
BHPian

As far as I know, the VIN number is punched on the Gearbox also. Can you please check if it is there and that might save your day.
Old 26th April 2017, 19:55   #18
BHPian

Just for FYI : Tracing VIN is not required for ownership transfer in Blore as well. I had my A-Star transferred to my name without taking it to the RTO and without any middleman either.
rajathv8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2017, 22:52   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiaferrari View Post
As far as I know, the VIN number is punched on the Gearbox also. Can you please check if it is there and that might save your day.
Is it specific to any vehicle or common to all? AFAIK there is no such procedure and gearbox has got nothing to do with the VIN.
Old 27th April 2017, 09:31   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
Just for FYI : Tracing VIN is not required for ownership transfer in Blore as well.
Same case here in Pune. My enfield was transferred to my name without taking the bike to RTO. The previous owner did the paper work. It was in 2011 though and procedure might have changed now.
Old 27th April 2017, 09:41   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Hill View Post
Same case here in Pune. My enfield was transferred to my name without taking the bike to RTO. The previous owner did the paper work. It was in 2011 though and procedure might have changed now.
The Palio 1.6 was transferred from my father's name to mine in early 2016. There was no trace required and everything was BAU.

However when I went for re-registration in Jan 2017 the "agent" told me traces were required for these changes to the RC. I think they may have tightened up on the procedure or introduced possibly introduced a new step. The VIN plate under the bonnet was not accepted and they needed a trace from the stamping on the chassis which in the Palio is under the driver's seat and hidden by a small flap. They also told me carry ID and address proof, plus asked me to remove the light coloured sun film & insisted on pasting 4 reflector strips on the bumper claiming it was required by the RTO for old vehicles.

Now, this experience was in Pune, MH. Not sure how what other RTOs across the country mandate for the transfer/re-registration of vehicles.

Last edited by R2D2 : 27th April 2017 at 09:44.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 10:05   #22
Senior - BHPian

Rules followed by RTO in the country:
  1. For ownership transfer within the state VIN trace is not required.
  2. For no objection certificate VIN trace is required.
  3. For interstate ownership transfer with re-registration in new state VIN trace is required even if car is not 15 years old.
  4. For interstate re-registration without change in ownership VIN trace is required even if car is not 15 years old.
  5. For registration certificate renewal/fitness renewal after 15 years and from then on every 5 years VIN trace is required.

For anything else other than ownership change in same state within the first 15 years VIN trace is required.
So without fixing the corrosion and re-stamping the VIN the useful life of this car will be 15 years or 5 years more.

Last edited by Sankar : 27th April 2017 at 10:21.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 11:00   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rreddy18 View Post
Hi All,

I am owning a Maruti Swift VDI 2007 model and I am planning to buy a new car after exchanging my existing car. I went to a couple of dealers and they found that the chassis number or VIN has gotten completely rusted and they were telling that they cannot purchase this car and it has to be scrapped (or use for another 5 years till the 15 years time line is over and scrap the car). There is no way I can sell this car as per them.

Please let me know what options I have. The car has no problems except the rusting at a few places.

Thanks in advance.
In coastal areas, this is a peculiar problem and RTO has the process for it which is as follows:

1.Visit RTO office and there is a form to address this. It involves a officer to inspect the car for physical verification and check the rusted areas.
2.Post verification, a slip / documentation is provided for a NEW chassis no. (Old chassis no. cannot be used anymore)
3.This needs to be taken to a authorised centre for engrossing on the car
4.Re-verification by RTO
5.RC needs to be updated along with NEW chasis no.
6.Keep the relevant documents in place during re-selling or transfer

P.S. Going through a similar situation and in 2nd step of the process.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 27th April 2017 at 12:55. Reason: broken quote fixed
Tarun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 11:19   #24

Hello!

I faced the exact same problem with my 2005 Suzuki Swift ZXI last year while I was trying to sell it. The panel where VIN is stamped also happens to be the panel where front windscreen rests. It got badly corroded over time (which was quite worrisome for it can be fatal). However I sold my car to a friend and he had no problem with it.

Cheers!
Old 27th April 2017, 14:32   #25
BHPian

Long back, my 1 year old two wheeler was involved in an accident, where I had to replace the chassis because of the impact. At that time, the RTO provided me with a new chassis number to be etched on, and the same was endorsed in the RC.
As per the normal process of accident, RTO inspection is mandatory, but I havent done it, but when I approached the RTO, they accepted the request with FIR copy.

Get an inspection done at the RTO, and since this is not a common thing, you may need to give a letter (they may not have a pre-defined form) for the process.
Old 27th April 2017, 15:06   #26
BHPian

The extent Maruti goes on cost cutting is probable a whole new subject altogether. Our old 94 Maruti 800 had a plate riveted on to the body that has both the number. And so does my 06 Baleno. I am surprised what made them think punching it straight on to the chassis is a great idea.

I am not sure this will be available with you. I still have it though, the dealer when they present your car with the RTO for registration, they take an impression of the chassis and the engine number with a paper and pencil. I think if you have it, then you could definitely have Maruti replace the chassis number for you, at least I hope
ron_9191 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 15:37   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_9191 View Post
The extent Maruti goes on cost cutting is probable a whole new subject altogether. Our old 94 Maruti 800 had a plate riveted on to the body that has both the number. And so does my 06 Baleno. I am surprised what made them think punching it straight on to the chassis is a great idea.
VIN Plate and VIN punching were present on the older vehicle (including yours) also and even the same plate is available on the subject car as well. But for any RTO / Insurance formalities, VIN tracing will be done on the punched one only (not with the VIN plate)
Old 27th April 2017, 15:53   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
VIN Plate and VIN punching were present on the older vehicle (including yours) also and even the same plate is available on the subject car as well. But for any RTO / Insurance formalities, VIN tracing will be done on the punched one only (not with the VIN plate)
Yeah you're right. But they do take the impressions from the engine and chassis numbers, don't they? The guys at the showroom when I bought the Baleno back in 2006 were kind enough to give me a copy of it too.
Old 28th April 2017, 09:52   #29
Senior - BHPian

Thats some serious corrosion. Unheard of such incidents even with classic cars like Ambassadors and Fiats.

The manufacturer should take moral responsibility and fix it for you free here. If it needs RTO inspection or anything, the manufacturer should bear the process and costs.
Old 29th April 2017, 07:01   #30
BHPian

Thanks a lot for every one for such excellent information. Appreciate people's knowledge on this forum and the willingness to share the knowledge. I have decided to sell the car and buy a new one rather then repairing and going to Rto for repunching chassis number etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks